DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I wonder if the overrun was a "heat check" by Vince. As in, "let's see how this goes, and then I'll decide if I have to worry about this shit or not."

Vince after seeing how it went:

comment_vToX23PTvY4B5ID3JWzkocQAaOHgqb83

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I’m envisioning a management meeting where they’re going through the H2H ratings and at the Roman quarter Vince is like “Goddamn, pal, who the fuck is Ruby Soho?” And then some poor soul has to explain that she worked for him like 6 months ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I feel like the whole point of a nice absolutely nobody ever kicks out of it is to give the guy you are pushing as your next top babyface the moment of being the guy who finally does it. But that's just me.

• Like 8

In my opinion, if now is the time to put the belt on Page (and I'm undecided on that), then getting the belt off of Omega is enough. Having him kick out of the One-Winged Angel would be overkill.

Darby Allin should totally kick out of it some day, though. And it'll mean a lot more if nobody else has yet.

They've saved this for just this moment, man. Not even Okada got to kick out of the OWA. Years in the making, crowning your homegrown star in a huge moment the promotion has been building to since day one. If not now, when? Darby Allin for the TNT title? Nah. I'm glad Omega left NJPW when he did because if he stayed around, I'm sure Okada would've gotten a win back and probably kicked out of the OWA. It took just one OWA to put Hangman out of business at Full Gear last year too. The symmetry is perfection.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Kota Ibushi kicked out of the One Winged Angel.

9 years ago and Kota is an even bigger unbeatable rival for Omega than Okada was. There's also less "continuity" between DDT from 9 years ago and AEW than there is NJPW and AEW.

Edited by Jiji

Happy to see TK crowing to be honest, after being pushed into a head to head fight he didnt start, them pulling out the big guns and pulling the commercial-free shit and the Fast National leaks after the past few weeks, and him pretty much staying the course and trusting (rightly) in the AEW faithful in the demo to show up. Pretty restrained really - i’d be shitposting memes of me tea bagging VKM but hey.

And the winner is...the audience getting to see plenty of good shit across the board, especially that Bryan/Suzuki war. And then Hangman bringing it home with Cowboy Shit the next day plus Fish/Bryan making me rethink my position on bringing in Fish full time. Pretty fun times.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I mean, they literally have planned from day one that they wanted to build Adam Page into being the guy. That's always been a major goal for the EVPs and presumably Tony.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't A.) Kick out of the OWA and B.) Pin Omega in the middle of the ring.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I mean, they literally have planned from day one that they wanted to build Adam Page into being the guy. That's always been a major goal for the EVPs and presumably Tony.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't A.) Kick out of the OWA and B.) Pin Omega in the middle of the ring.

I'm certain that making Page the guy by beating Omega for the title is still the end goal, and I'm down with that. I'm just not certain that the story ends with him winning the world title on this attempt.

If he had won the elimination match and challenged at All Out like everybody expected, I'd have said it was definitely too soon for him to win the belt. But I can see an argument that coming up short there and having to regain the number one contendership represents enough adversity. Like I said, I'm unsure.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think he needs to win clean in the middle of the ring. That will make him whether or not he kicks out of the OWA. Kicking out of the OWA needs to be held off for a while to me,  and Page doesn't need it. The fans are already behind him in a way that they can save that for another day.  Honestly,  I feel like the fact that we can see it coming is the biggest reason not to do it.  Right now it would mean a lot, don't get me wrong, but it can be built up to mean much more if they saved it for down the line. I almost feel like it's something you do when Omega either wants to debut a new finisher or if Omega is going to be out of the main event scene.  It should be treated like a horror movie villain, the embodiment of death,  but once it's defeated the movie is over. This feels like the end of the first act to me,  if AEW is going to be around for a while there is no need to kill the villain this quickly,  especially when the hero is already established in the eyes of the audience. 

• Like 1