DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Amdrag/Misu was one of my favorite AEW matches. They beat the piss out of eachother and told a great story in the process. Danielson's flash knee strike for the win was a nice way to end a strike/mat wrestling exhibition. File this under "matches you could show to non-fans to illustrate why you love wrestling".

Fish/Moriarty needs some love. Smart arm work by Lee coupled with great selling by Bobby. Fish is like Sydal in that he's one of those vets that can act as a midcard gatekeeper and have a good match with anyone. I think he got Reddragon's old ROH music back? I saw Moriarty is officially All Elite which is well deserved.

Punk/Sydal could have taken place in peak ROH.

The ATT guys looked like they were having a great time and that match was solid all around.

Yes, Bobby Fish's entrance music was ReDRagon's theme in ROH. 

Punk/Sydal made me feel like I was watching Gabe-era ROH.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Danielson/Suzuki felt like a high level New Japan Pro-Wrestling match transported to All Elite Wrestling.

Yep. That was very close to, if not the exact match we would've gotten had it taken place in an NJPW ring. 

Well...hang on. We'd have to specify "when," as it seems to me that Suzuki moved away from submission/grappling based matches as soon as fans weren't allowed to cheer during the pandemic, leaning more heavily towards strike-based matches. The opening part of this match in AEW featured more grappling out of Suzuki than we've seen in some time, at least in his NJPW work.

This leads me to my next point: there is an unwritten rule in modern NJPW where nobody submits Minoru Suzuki, and pretty much nobody gets the better of him in grappling exchanges. Your hope is escape, you will not defeat Suzuki on the mat, period. I liked how AEW bent this rule but didn't break it. Everybody knows Danielson is formidable on the mat in his own right, and therefore he got a lot deeper on his submission attempts than most would on Suzuki. But, Suzuki still had answers and worked out of the holds, despite being in a little more trouble with them as the match wore on. I feel like they struck a really nice balance with that here. Would Danielson have gotten as much should the match have taken place in NJPW? His name and reputation makes me like to think he would've, but it's something to ponder. 

To me, this was also a remarkable match in that most everyone had no doubt as to what the outcome would be, but the wrestlers drew us in anyway. Two of the absolute best on earth, there is no question.

• Like 9

I loved Danielson/Suzuki like everyone else, but that Punk/Sydal match was pretty fucking good too. And I'm not usually into Matt Sydal's stuff for whatever reason. I don't know if I liked it quite as much as his match against Daniel Garcia, but this one was fun too.

To be completely honest, I spaced out and did other things during Bunny/Soho and Inner Circle/MOTY & Junior Dos Santos. I saw that Dark Order challenged the Young Bucks and Adam Cole, which I'm not exactly clear on. Is that a challenge for Full Gear? Dynamite? Rampage? Why do they think a match is going to stop them from interfering in Hangman vs. Omega? And Silver made the challenge for the six man, so who wrestles in the match? This probably should have been a little more detailed, and not just 30 seconds also.

Watched Suzuki vs Danielson. I liked most of it. I would have preferred a little less of the strike exchanges. The hold exchanges were good, and I really liked the finish. 

Also watched Punk vs Sydal. I've never been a big fan of Sydal as a wrestler and I remembered why. Punk always really works his stuff and makes it feel meaningful. Like with Suzuki and Danielson, I really liked the finish. 

I will never like modern crowds I'm afraid. The chanting of weird stuff and reactions feel so fake, which annoys me, since there seems to be genuine enthusiasm for AEW. 

• Like 1

I went to bed after AmDrag/Suzuki.  That’s really all I needed so anything afterwards could wait.

Great match, of course. They didn’t go outside the ring.  There were no 2 counts that I recall.  There was no finisher spamming at all.  

While I’m not exactly putting my flag in the hill saying I’m against those things.  The absence made this match really stand out.

Now I gotta look up the rest of the show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Did the cameras miss something in the six-man?  The crowd was chanting holy shit right before JDS got put through the table.

I'm guessing it was a Guevara/Page soit.

• Like 1

Sammy did a big dive, the cameras missed it.

Imagine if Brian Danielson comes in selling the beating tonight, and Bobby Fish beats him?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

Imagine if Brian Danielson comes in selling the beating tonight, and Bobby Fish beats him?

Yeah, I think the story will be tenderized hamburger meat Danielson vs Fish, who had his arm worked over heavily by Moriarty. 

6 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

This leads me to my next point: there is an unwritten rule in modern NJPW where nobody submits Minoru Suzuki, and pretty much nobody gets the better of him in grappling exchanges. Your hope is escape, you will not defeat Suzuki on the mat, period. I liked how AEW bent this rule but didn't break it. Everybody knows Danielson is formidable on the mat in his own right, and therefore he got a lot deeper on his submission attempts than most would on Suzuki. But, Suzuki still had answers and worked out of the holds, despite being in a little more trouble with them as the match wore on. I feel like they struck a really nice balance with that here. Would Danielson have gotten as much should the match have taken place in NJPW? His name and reputation makes me like to think he would've, but it's something to ponder. 

I was thinking about the grappling exchanges in Suzuki matches in general, but specifically like last night where he’s in there with someone capable but there’s a language barrier. I assume it has to be something along the lines of, “I’ll decide if I’m going to sit in one of your holds and I’ll get out when I feel like it.” There was a point when Danielson went for a takedown and Suzuki kind of just stepped away and looked at him with a mixture of respect and amusement. 

I generally don’t care about wrestlers having “legit” backgrounds, but the way Suzuki incorporates his experience into stuff like the way he got out of the Cattle Mutilation is so cool. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

My balls feel like concrete.

I need a cafe au lait, and a cigarette. 

Suzuki v Danielson was beautiful. I could watch that again and again. 

I really liked how much JDS and the rest of ATT seemed to be enjoying themselves. That enthusiasm really comes through and makes it so much better, and covers for the little shortfalls they might have. Though one of them at the end really clocked Jericho on the floor, I thought I sensed Jericho stiffen up and get a bit pissy. But then again he could’ve just been selling and doing a really good job. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

I kind of hate that idea, but then, I'm already pretty sick of Bobby Fish. I respect guys who commit to a gimmick. Bobby doesn't wrestle like a fish, so to Hell with him.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

YouTube really was the perfect place for Danielson/Suzuki if you're giving it away gratis. No commercial breaks, no PIP, just those two doing their match and slugging it out for 20 minutes. "A beautiful sonnet of violence," as Tom K once said... the kind of match anyone can get into with a smidge of patience, and boy howdy did they deliver.

I felt sorry for Ruby/Bunny because they had to follow both the above match and then Punk/Sydal, another bout that over-delivered on potential that was already high to begin with. 

• Like 9