DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

@The Naturalthanks for sharing, that was a fantastic Piledriver. It would be cool as a Superfinisher for Punk. 

You're welcome. @ReiseReise. I agree with you. Still to this day remember THAT Piledriver. Don't click on the spoiler, @Jimbo_Tsuruta:

Spoiler

True Holy Shit moment.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gordberg said:

Loved seeing the Anaconda Vice as the finisher.

Laughed out loud when the announcers started out the show with a  "What a great time to be a wrestling fan/The best time!" exchange. I concur!

Nitpick of the week: Rush's new gimmick is not distinct enough from Big Money Matt.

G1 less than 5 hours away!

I love days like these.

Same here. Always loved the Anaconda Vice.

Agree with the rest you say as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

You're welcome. @ReiseReise. I agree with you. Still to this day remember THAT Piledriver. Don't click on the spoiler, @Jimbo_Tsuruta:

Reveal hidden contents

True Holy Shit moment.

That match is on your list of Punk recommendations I think, will check it out if I can find it.

PUNK VS GARCIA

I don’t know about you guys l but I thought that first match was fucking amazing, definitely my favourite Punk match since his return. He made Garcia look like a million bucks every time he screamed in pain at his holds and the whole style just felt so refreshingly different than the usual AEW matches.

This match should raise Garcia’s stock everywhere because he looked like a huge star matching up to Punk the whole way. You always see wrestlers psyching themselves up during matches but it was nice seeing Garcia breathing and telling himself to calm down and focus.

“IS PUNK GONNA FLYEEEEEEHHH??”

Loved the Mongolian chop exchange and the slight hesitation before the tap out at the end, you could see Garcia going through his options for a moment before having no option but submit. Tremendous stuff, give me more of this type of stuff please

TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

“PACKING THAT HEAT LIKE MY NAME’S ARN ANDERSON”

Match was fun and a good showcase for Lucha Bros. It was brought down a bit because The Acclaimed looked a step slower overall and sometimes lost on certain spots, but still fun.

Laughed at Taz blaming Jericho and that darn Lionsault for pioneering the crazy dives of today.

”FENIX MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING SOME OF MY OLD HIGHLIGHT REELS” - Taz

“HUEVOS REVUELTOS”

FTW TITLE MATCH

Stark looked like a star as always but match suffered a bit from a lack of heat because no one gives a shit about Cage unfortunately. I’m happy Ricky won the feud and, thinking about it, I don’t think Cage has won a single feud in his AEW run, wouldn’t be surprised to see him gone soon.

There’s something nice about every weapon shot from Stark, he adds a bit of style to them (and everything he does really) and makes them all look great.

Lmao at Jericho calling Hook “HAWK” repeatedly.

Lovely 60 min of wrestling.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Jericho as an ECW original is funny. He was there like 3 months. 

Malenko was there for a little over a year and had like 40ish matches, whereas Jericho was there for 3 months or whatever and had like 22 or something.

Punk vs Garcia: I'd liken this a bit to Bret vs Savage from 87, with the heavy limb control but don't take that too seriously, as I haven't seen it for a while. Very full match that never wore out its welcome. Both guys looked great. The early grappling maybe needed 10% more tricked out stuff but it was gritty and close and compelling without being cooperative. Transition worked really well as you bought Punk was closing in on the GTS at that point and then they went another ten minutes around the leg. I love watching a wrestler try to work with a major limitation and have it shape everything he can and can't do and Punk really leaned hard into it. It changed his game completely and some of it, like the staggered duck into a neckbreaker reversal looked great. That timing isn't just savvy; it's athleticism too and Punk deserves credit for it. The pepsi twist also looked great. Sharpshooter was protected because Garcia was so worried about positioning that he couldn't lean back. I bought Punk being so full of adrenaline that he could hit the springboard clothesline after the dive. I don't always buy that but I bought it here in this situation. Piledriver felt like a big moment. I like how he didn't even try to go for the GTS after that. Really liked this one.

Acclaimed vs Lucha Bros: theoretically I was going to like this more when it settled down to heat but it stayed a sprint after that. Acclaimed looked lost moving Penta around and there was basically no heat even after the boom box spot before Fenix came in. All of Fenix' stuff looks great as always (well, not the double cutter) but if they didn't have time for this, they should have kept it off the show and done another Danielson interview or something. Or a feature on the MMA guys so that people know them more if they're not fans. It's ok to have an empty spotfest but don't waste the Acclaimed on it. This match helped no one. I've got no use for this noise and I can't imagine watching another Lucha Bros match anytime soon unless they're up against FTR or Bear Country or Comoroto or someone who can really base for them and slow down the match.

Jade vs Skye: This is what it should have been. Skye got an A for effort as almost everything Jade ended up doing was a counter to something Skye tried, so she drove the action. But of course it made Jade look like a worldbeater.

Cage vs Starks: I liked the pool shot to the head and how hard Starks had to work for a lot of his offense. It's nice to have an annoying heel that you kind of have to begrudgingly give it to. I haven't seen Cage since Lucha Underground and he does know how to work big against a smaller, weaker opponent. I really don't know about that fall away slam onto the trash can lid as a hope spot though. It looked brutal because it was a little sloppy. I do like Starks playing to the crowd's clapping for the babyface. It's good to acknowledge what they're doing. I didn't realize that they actually DID Send Hook. Jericho being into that and trying to strategize with Taz was really enjoyable. Taz was channeling Rumble 92 Heenan on commentary. "There's your gamangiri (or however you spell that) right to the nuts" was such a good line. Past that fall away slam hope spot, this basically worked for me.

• Like 5

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Punk v Garcia is at the top of the pile (geddit?) of his AEW matches for me. Looking ahead can't wait for bouts against the likes of Starks and Miro. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

I like the long tights on CM Punk. It's different. Have to see if CM Trunks appears in his next match or the long tights return. Speaking of tights, I prefer Adam Page in the tights shaped as chaps than his old trunks.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Garcia and 2.0 continue to impress.  So to Punk.  I love Jade.  Solid win for the tag champs.  Bloody Starks was a nice closing visual.  Brian Cage badly needs some direction (babyface doesn't seem like it's gonna cut it) and, dare I say, a tag partner.  

Classic Excalibur ridiculously claiming Rosa's running to the ring with “the chair that Jade used to incapacitate her last week”.  Maybe one day he'll mature passed these random wacky calls.  

Very thankful for the extra Mark Henry segment.  Love the simple and beautiful split screen style (tho the actual current set-up could use to improve).  Mark's kind energy and warm, generous smile is infectious.  And seems clear that everybody loves the big guy.  I know I do.  Who'd have thought Mark Henry would be well on his way to becoming the next great backstage wrestling journalist.  I suppose the answer is Tony Khan.  Also, I love Tony's unpolished mic work.  He sounds hilarious.  Like he's doing an impression of himself yelling '9 days' or whatever from his Elevation debut.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

Is it bad that while I enjoyed Punk/Garcia a LOT, in the end I just wanted to fast-forward to see Danielson/Garcia? That shit is going to be SO good.

Looking forward to Danielson/Garcia already my friend.

• Like 3

Punk/Garcia was terrific. Really love what Punk is bringing to the shows in his TV matches, like hopping in a time machine to some random ROH show in Dayton in 2004.

I was wondering what Danielson was going to do at Full Gear if Hangman is getting the title shot, considering he doesn’t really have a story with anyone besides Omega. But the Eliminator Tournament coming back answers that.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

Punk/Garcia was terrific. Really love what Punk is bringing to the shows in his TV matches, like hopping in a time machine to some random ROH show in Dayton in 2004.

I was wondering what Danielson was going to do at Full Gear if Hangman is getting the title shot, considering he doesn’t really have a story with anyone besides Omega. But the Eliminator Tournament coming back answers that.

I'd say Punk/Garcia was Punk's best match since his return to wrestling.

It seems Omega/Page has been the destination for ages but I wasn't sure if AEW would call an audible with Bryan Danielson's arrival. Say both Page wins the AEW World Championship and Danielson, the #1 contenders tourney at Full Gear. I like Page but to me, Omega/Danielson is the biggest match AEW has. I want to see that sequel ASAP.

Edited by The Natural

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

It'd be absolutely mind boggling if Danielson was in the title eliminator tournament and CM Punk wasn't. Danielson is 1-0-1 in singles matches in AEW, and Punk is 3-0.

He might have some grudge he’d rather poke at though.

• Like 1

I'm glad they're doing the tournament again. Revolution is always where I imagined Hangman dethroning Kenny. AEW has enough irons in the fire to get good programs out of Kenny and Hangman in the meanwhile. And after his comments on Monday, I figured Hangman was coming after Adam Cole first. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I'd say Punk/Garcia was Punk's best match since his return to wrestling.

It seems Omega/Page has been the destination for ages but I wasn't sure if AEW would call an audible with Bryan Danielson's arrival. Say both Page wins the AEW World Championship and Danielson, the #1 contenders tourney at Full Gear. I like Page but to me, Omega/Danielson is the biggest match AEW has. I want to see that sequel ASAP.

I think you can get to Omega/Danielson without the title.  It does not need a title, simply about who is the better wrestler. I see as a great example where both men don't need the title. Getting Hangman the title has to happen soon Or the time will have passed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

I think you can get to Omega/Danielson without the title.  It does not need a title, simply about who is the better wrestler. I see as a great example where both men don't need the title. Getting Hangman the title has to happen soon Or the time will have passed. 

Like life, timing is crucial. Right place, right time.