DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - The 2 Year Anniversary - 10/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, nate said:

I wonder if AEW would be inclined to fill another niche left behind by a closed company and start their own King of Trios, with half roster teams, and the other half teams coming thru the Forbidden Door.

Run the first round over a Dynamite and Rampage.  Round two, the next Dynamite.  Round three, the next Rampage.  Finals on a pay-per-view.

I'd love AEW picking up King of Trios. The roster is so stacked, it'd be fun trying to come up with teams and thinking of trios that could come in via the Forbidden Door. 

Just for shits and giggles, here's 8 teams for the AEW side of the bracket. That's just off the top of my head. You could probably come up with 16 teams without using anyone from outside AEW.

Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Darby Allin

Daniel Garcia & 2.0

Evil Uno, Stu Grayson, Colt Cabana

Scorpio Sky, Ethan Page, Bobby Fish

Adam Cole & The Young Bucks

Jurassic Express

Santana, Ortiz, Sammy Guevara

FTR & Shawn Spears

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

On 10/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, Zimbra said:

It's going to look sick as hell when someone finally turns the tables on Black and jumps him during his entrance with all the backlighting and shit. 

On the flip side;

The roof is going to explode off which ever building they are in when CM Punk sits down to cut a promo, the lights go out, and when they come back on Black is sitting across the ring.

• Like 10

Something probably too inside baseball or smark like... Would be Arn telling Cody... "If you get him down.. I want you to remember something your father, God rest his soul.. yelled at me and my crew when we were about to injure him.... "Make it good!" He yelled at us. Not because he had a death wish.. but he was warning us. That if we left the job half done, he was going to come after us and deliver his vengeance ten fold. We made it good alright. But we didn't finish the job. He was hurt. He never was the same. But eventually he came back to get his vengeance. Don't make that mistake. You get him down, you remember what he did to me. To your brother. To your family and friends. And most importantly to you. Make it good, Cody. Finish the job. Otherwise he's gonna be a black mark in your soul.. forever. Listen to your daddy's words. And make it good."

Honestly I can hear that in Arn's gravelly voice and I gave myself chills

• Like 12

Just rewatched the main event and a little detail I liked was right at the beginning when OC went for his hands-in-pockets pose and PAC stopped him. But didn’t act heelish or angry like in the past, he just went like “cmon mate I know you can go, cut the shit, let’s do this” and Orange went with it.

Small thing but makes sense given their history and it’s subtle character development for both.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

Something probably too inside baseball or smark like... Would be Arn telling Cody... "If you get him down.. I want you to remember something your father, God rest his soul.. yelled at me and my crew when we were about to injure him.... "Make it good!" He yelled at us. Not because he had a death wish.. but he was warning us. That if we left the job half done, he was going to come after us and deliver his vengeance ten fold. We made it good alright. But we didn't finish the job. He was hurt. He never was the same. But eventually he came back to get his vengeance. Don't make that mistake. You get him down, you remember what he did to me. To your brother. To your family and friends. And most importantly to you. Make it good, Cody. Finish the job. Otherwise he's gonna be a black mark in your soul.. forever. Listen to your daddy's words. And make it good."

Honestly I can hear that in Arn's gravelly voice and I gave myself chills

I would seriously tweet that to Arn if you're so inclined.  That is definitely something he would say.

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

On the flip side;

The roof is going to explode off which ever building they are in when CM Punk sits down to cut a promo, the lights go out, and when they come back on Black is sitting across the ring.

I've been back and forth on the Punk lovefest deal.  Even when seeing him in Queens it was great but I wanted more.  If Black takes out a few people while Punk works on his list of those he wants to work with then the timing should be quite right for them.  I'm thinking it'll happen either after Full Gear or going into next year.

And another thing with Punk is we've seen this with Sting.  He'd come out and it'd be lovely but after a while we wanted more.  And from the cinematic match on that's what we got with wonderful results.  So it's tempting for me to say "C'mon, Punk, do something meaningful." but I'm trying to be as patient as possible with past history in mind.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And another thing with Punk is we've seen this with Sting.  He'd come out and it'd be lovely but after a while we wanted more.  And from the cinematic match on that's what we got with wonderful results.  So it's tempting for me to say "C'mon, Punk, do something meaningful." but I'm trying to be as patient as possible with past history in mind.

See also Miro’s first lacklustre run with Kip before becoming arguably the best thing in AEW.

And Andrade’s slooooooow start which I think could be easily fixed with him just wrestling more often.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would seriously tweet that to Arn if you're so inclined.  That is definitely something he would say.

I've been back and forth on the Punk lovefest deal.  Even when seeing him in Queens it was great but I wanted more.  If Black takes out a few people while Punk works on his list of those he wants to work with then the timing should be quite right for them.  I'm thinking it'll happen either after Full Gear or going into next year.

I'm happy for Punk to ride the goodwill while he does what he wants.

I think Punk's next meaningful feud will be coming to the aid of Sting & Darby to fight MJF.

Then maybe we get Punk/Darby 2 with Darby going over.

Then Punk comes out to cut a promo about his first big loss in AEW & 'bam' lights out and here's Black to keep sending Punk on the downward spiral.

They have so much talent though that it could be literal years before we see interactions and matches with alot of these guys.

Punk v Miro, Omega, Cole, Danielson, Black, Andrade, Sammy, Hangman, Mox, PAC, Fenix, Penta... Not to mention the GTS war with KENTA that's now a possibility with the Forbidden Door.

That's a good 3-4 years of PPV matches and that's if you don't run any big time tag matches or repeat anything!

Run down the same list with Danielson. It's insane how stacked AEW is.

• Like 6

One thing I am curious about with Punk...So far they're only putting his matches on Rampage. I mean, it's a small sample size, but that immediately came to mind when he said he wanted to wrestle Danny Garcia tonight when he was out there Wednesday, and by tonight, he meant on Rampage.

I wonder if Punk working Rampage is a TNT call based on the numbers he did when he arrived. Promising Punk on Rampage also has to keep the energy up for a fourth hour of taping so the crowd doesn’t noticeably thin out on camera. 

• Like 3

Somebody needs to please teach the ATT guys how to throw worked punches because I cannot abide another beatdown where I hear about how dangerous they are while JDS kind of slaps at Jericho's head.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I finally watched on DVR, and before I go back through the thread I'll share what I remember from my watch, and my perspective as a former huge wrasslin' fan trying to get back into it with AEW.

Opening match was really great, by my DVR timer went almost 20 minutes. Young Bucks are great cocky shitheels, but they really really need to tone down on those obvious thighslaps on the superkicks. And maybe just the superkicks. I'm already exhausted by superkicks after 3 weeks of AEW. This was my first exposure to Luchasaurus and I want to see a lot more. Kenny and Brian not afraid to go stiff, which makes up for all the thigh slaps (Jungle Boy was guilty of this too). Adam Cole still does nada for me. Finish looked nasty. Also, the announcers did a decent job covering for the botched powerbomb.

CM Punk. 10 minutes of mic time to build to a match on Friday. This is the kind of sports entertainment I expect from WWE. It also wasn't the only example of it during this show.

The Arn-Cody thing was dumb, Arn does not work scripted but Cody's line "are you gonna shoot me" almost saved the segment. This was more '98 WCW when things started falling apart than it was late '90s WWExtreme.

Oh finally, another match. Nice little intro segment for Bobby Fish, for people like me who have never heard of this dude, or have any idea why Guevara accepted the challenge of a new person. I guess that's something that's happened before. Good match, that nasty avalanche falcon arrow being a highlight.

The aftermath was weird, I remember Lambert and the two guys from last week but not the other two who I guess do MMA? Jericho is paunchy. The AEW crowd sure do like to sing along with people's theme songs, it kind of worked in this setting. Lots of "shits", very edgy.

Skeeavone with two diamond stud earrings is, as the kids say, cringe.

I really dig Darby Allin, the look is cool and the "skinny guy who isn't afraid to do dangerous things to himself to win" is always a winner. But I didn't buy that he had really done enough damage to this huge dude who could be working the indies as The Barbarian Jr. to win via the Coffin drop. Let's say a Worldwide 3/4 point. More shenanigans aftermath, more shrugs from me.

More backstage stuff. AEW has a lot of people. I can't keep track of who they are, much less care about this many.

I remember Dante from last week, wanted to see more, but they set him up for the Sting/Undertaker/done to death "blackout by evil dark wizard" guy. I don't know who Malachi Black is, and this didn't make me care.

More dumb in-ring shit, this is definitely AEW Raw is War tonight, complete with some roided up dude making a run-in.

Shida versus Deebs was enjoyable. I need to watch more Joshi. Shida wrestles stiff, really solid knee strikes, although she didn't lean into the dropkicks like she probably would do in Japan. Deeb has counters and works joints and is all complex. I guessed once I saw the trophy that Deeb was gonna cheat to win (sort of) and then hit Shida with the trophy. It's like the cake rule, if there is a trophy involved, it will get used.

More WCW '97/WWE '98 backstage stuff with limos and masked assailants, but Darby took a really nice bump into that stop sign. That's all I have to say about that.

The Million Bitcoin Man recruiting Dante Martin. Ok, I can dig it if it means more of Dante wrestling and maybe winning.

Main event was good, obviously with it being Philly they had to do ladders and tables. The Andrade dive over the ladder into the powerbomb was an actual "holy shit" moment from me. The in-ring table spot was brutal, I don't think they fully prepped that table. Oh yeah, I love Orange Cassidy, great gimmick, but I don't buy The Orange Punch as a legitimate finisher, I can't suspend my disbelief that much. Dude i a bump machine though, he took some nasty ones. Matt Hardy is a puffy shell of his former self but that was a nice leg-drop on Orange on the table. The crowd was hot for Hangman Page (I remember him from occasional watches in the past, can't recall his current feuds or why he was gone) and AEW delivered, although the punch-for-punch on top of the ladder was a little bit anti-climatic.

Overall, some good matches but wayyyyy too much nonsense and yapping and I definitely think there are way too many people in this promotion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If I tweeted a legend like Arn Anderson, and he went on TV and used my idea, I'd put that on my resume.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

What a photo!

Cowboy shit is lariating someone in the head, or hitting them with a nasty bulldog out of the corner, or maybe kicking them in the face. That's definitely something else. Not a moral or value issue, just a classification one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

If I tweeted a legend like Arn Anderson, and he went on TV and used my idea, I'd put that on my resume.

Laugh.. I doubt that he'll actually see it but I tweeted him a link since it was way too long to put in a tweet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

Overall, some good matches but wayyyyy too much nonsense and yapping and I definitely think there are way too many people in this promotion.

No one ever leaves, more people just join the party. That's the trick. They could do with culling about a dozen names.

EDIT: One thing that stands out from that Hangman photo, and the other comment above, is how male-dominated the audience is. I don't think this is a figment of imagination and admittedly its going back a decade or two ago, but feel like there used to be a fair amount of girls/women in WWE audiences (def. in the 90s WCW audiences, esp at those beach / spring break promotion shows etc.). Is AEW particularly male-dominated or is that just where all PW is at nowadays?

Edited by A_K

1 hour ago, A_K said:

No one ever leaves, more people just join the party. That's the trick. They could do with culling about a dozen names.

I wonder if some people just won’t be re-signed when their 3 years come up next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A_K said:

EDIT: One thing that stands out from that Hangman photo, and the other comment above, is how male-dominated the audience is. I don't think this is a figment of imagination and admittedly its going back a decade or two ago, but feel like there used to be a fair amount of girls/women in WWE audiences (def. in the 90s WCW audiences, esp at those beach / spring break promotion shows etc.). Is AEW particularly male-dominated or is that just where all PW is at nowadays?

AEW's audience is extremely male heavy. It's pretty much why they are well behind WWE in total viewership. Like 70+% male versus WWE being more like ~60% male.

• Like 2