DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 5

Dolfan in NYC

So.  I've just come back from Gay Bowl XXI where I got to ref 11(!) flag football games in a weekend.  The weekend brings together members of the LGBT+ community and their allies for a fun and extremely competitive weekend.  I'm exhausted, but thrilled I got to referee my first championship game, and see friends I hadn't seen in a couple of years. 

The reason I mention it here is because the Arizona Cardinals made a $50,000 donation and were largely financially responsible for making it happen. Bill Bidwell himself addressed us during the opening ceremonies at Sun Devil Stadium. 

So, if you see me wearing a Cardinals hat at some point, you know why.  

Anyway, Fuck The Jets.  Here's week 5. 

• Like 16

Twitter is a useful tool sometimes.  Between Urban Meyer and DeShaun Watson,  Twitter has taught me a couple things. One,  the coach always flies back with the team... no matter what. Even if everyone in the team knows he's getting fired,  no NFL player remembers a time when the coach decided to not take the return flight with the team after a road game. Urban Meyer skipped the team flight.   Second,  it's not rare for NFL played to get massages for recovery. It's very rare for NFL players to not have a go to masseuse.  I wish I could remember who posted the thread,  but someone asked a series of players if they got massages,  and how they did it,  and all of them either went through the team or had a private masseuse on payroll. None of them were hiring randos from Instagram. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure there is anyone else in football I love seeing fuck up more than Urb. The schadenfreude is beyond enjoyable and part of that is that you just know it's going to happen at some point, it's just when and what and the what is about 5 or 6 different options.

• Like 3

The fact that the national media(not just message boards/social media) were making jokes/observations about Urban quitting for USC is just icing on the cake. Couldn't happen to a bigger ass.

Edited by Kuetsar
  • Like 3

Is there anyone in the history of football who has been better at their job,  but less respected than Urban Meyer? He's legitimately an all time great college coach,  and even the fanbases of his biggest successes kind of hate him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Most great coaches tended to stay at one school, or at least not jump around at every opportunity.

Not really. College coaches generally go from smaller jobs to bigger jobs. Going from Bowling Green, to Utah,  to Florida,  to Ohio State is a pretty ideal career trajectory. He would probably still be at OSU if it wasn't for the aforementioned morally questionable transgressions. Nobody holds Saban going from Michigan State,  to LSU, to Alabama against him. 

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Not really. College coaches generally go from smaller jobs to bigger jobs. Going from Bowling Green, to Utah,  to Florida,  to Ohio State is a pretty ideal career trajectory. He would probably still be at OSU if it wasn't for the aforementioned morally questionable transgressions. Nobody holds Saban going from Michigan State,  to LSU, to Alabama against him. 

Some of us do.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Fair enough. Saban doesn't cite health concerns when he left though.

32 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

That is a good question though. Which is the bigger dumpster fire, Houston or Jax?

At this exact moment - Jacksonville if for no other reason than Houston beat them

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Urban Meyer's unlikability is hard to really put a finger on as a lot of coaches are nuts and/or morally questionable. My only guess is that not only did he create a few "toxic environments" over the years, but coupled with the fact he twice used health reasons as an excuse to escape without really taking any accountability only to pop up somewhere else a couple years later. Also, I think people kinda root against college super coaches when they go to the NFL, which is silly but its such a common theme (usually true) that the college to NFL transition is difficult and people enjoy dumpster fires. Myself included.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

What was missing from that statement was that to regain their trust, he must defeat Nick Gage in a deathmatch.

Right now Tony Khan is wondering which one in the Elite has football experience ?

I mean we knew the Meyer hire was mostly for attention but I am sure this is the wrong one.  I hope it gets worse and it leafs to them trying to get Dabo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing about his health issues is that is one of the few things he was actually telling the truth about. He really gets himself worked up about this shit in a way that has giving him both heart and brain issues. The fact that he keeps doing it is dumb,  but he has a diagnosed heart issue and a cyst in his brain that are made worse by stress. You know how big of an asshole you have to be for people to hate you despite your brain cyst? Meyer's handling of the Zach Smith situation is by far the worst thing in his resume,  but people thought he was an asshole well before that. He has to be the most loathsome figure in all of sports. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Is there anyone in the history of football who has been better at their job,  but less respected than Urban Meyer? He's legitimately an all time great college coach,  and even the fanbases of his biggest successes kind of hate him. 

I was gonna cheat and say Joe Paterno, but their fanbase is still perversely committed to him.

• Like 2