DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF: Week Six

Pete

• Pete locked, unlocked and pinned this topic

It's Texas-OU week!! The teams started playing the annual game in 1900 and the only time the game was not played was 1918, when they actually canceled college sporting events because of a pandemic (imagine that). It's a cliche to say "you can throw out the records" when it comes to long-term heated rivalries, but in recent years this has proven to be the case with Texas-OU, as even Charlie Strong found a way to win one.

Meanwhile in College Station, Alabama will be visiting for a night game that has the makings of a massacre. Zach Calzada may be the worst starting QB in D-1 football, and Jimbo Fisher made the big mistake of shit-talking Saban in the preseason, which makes this extra personal for Nick, who still carries a grudge from the loss to Johnny Football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Zach Calzada may be the worst starting QB in D-1 football

Negative. Graham Mertz exists. The Wisconsin QB and star of FOX’s Big Noon game has an astonishing -14.5 EPA this season. That is 4 points lower than the next worst QB (who I believe runs the triple).

• Like 2

As bad as Calzada has been, he isn't even the worst thing about A&M's offense.  The OL is up there with the worst Aggie OLs I've seen, and that's saying something. 

Fisher has already punted on the year, telling starting level players to go ahead and get their season ending surgeries out of the way.

So this is the one week of the year where I hold my nose and root for OU.  I have an expensive piece of paper from Texas somewhere in the house, but the there are very few teams I'd root against if they're playing Texas.  Basically the Penn States of the universe.

20 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Except the Holt Arena in Pocatello is slightly older and just as cool.

I don't think Holt was all-wood like Kibbie is... to speak nothing of them building the roof/structure AROUND Kibbie 5 years later. OTOH, your comment led me to this amazing footage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I am trying to figure out that kick his knee up every 2nd or 3rd sentence?  Is that a military thing or is having some kind of spasm.  

I think it's one of their yell leader things. They have hundreds of these weird traditions.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

@Robert C remind me, when we see each other on the streets of Los Santos again...  to shoot you in the face.

Aw.  You've got to come back to LS first.  Where the hell you been?  I've been practicin my Mary Lou.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am trying to figure out that kick his knee up every 2nd or 3rd sentence?  Is that a military thing or is having some kind of spasm.  

I've seen dozens of those things.  He's using the standard formula.  Hell, I can still rattle off the compound ... complex ... stuff in my head without even thinking about it, and I haven't heard it in 25 years.  I don't remember those mannerisms, so I don't know if that's just him or if I've just forgotten that.  I really don't remember the cannon being there either.  The fact that I never went to one of those things sober probably doesn't help my memory

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I think it's one of their yell leader things. They have hundreds of these weird traditions.

Yeah, he's a junior yell leader, doing the standard midnight yell finish.  I will say he's doing the worst job of it I've ever seen done, though.  I'm guessing he won't be governor in a couple decades.

I miss midnight yell.  I mean, not enough to want to drive two hours to go, but I miss it.  Stumbling over from my rundown apartment (generally referred to by people that didn't live in that complex as "the slums"), getting in fights in the stands, getting puked on, making out with the random girl who happened to be standing next to you when they cut the lights.  Good times.

My favorite memory from my time in grad school at Texas.  Walking out of the old ENS building in the evening and hearing the yells and the Aggie War Hymn loud as hell.  Took me a minute it was coming from the stadium, clear across campus, and that Brown must've been trying to get his guys ready for the noise at Kyle.  Funniest damn thing I've ever heard.

• Like 1

33 Years Ago today....  

We won.

1988winfootball.web_.ua_.jpg?itok=t2gq7V

Tomorrow, we take out Central Connecticut State.  Which may be the first time in NCAA history that a school has played football against both Columbia and the University of Miami in the same school year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

33 Years Ago today....  

We won.

Tomorrow, we take out Central Connecticut State.  Which may be the first time in NCAA history that a school has played football against both Columbia and the University of Miami in the same school year. 

Both former Rose Bowl winners btw...

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

33 Years Ago today....  

We won.

Dude. I was actually going to go, but there was a video game convention in Brooklyn and my friends convinced me they couldn't possibly beat Princeton. I wanted to fucking strangle them one at a time afterwards.

• Like 2