DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (Maybe soon???)

RIPPA

This story keeps getting better and better

Also - the Cards wanted to fire Shildt so badly that they got special permission from the league to make the announcement instead of waiting till the end of the postseason

On 10/14/2021 at 12:10 PM, RIPPA said:

This story keeps getting better and better

Also - the Cards wanted to fire Shildt so badly that they got special permission from the league to make the announcement instead of waiting till the end of the postseason

I'd be curious to know the exact differences that they had. 

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

I'd be curious to know the exact differences that they had. 

Trade Rumors summary from a few sources - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/details-on-the-cardinals-firing-of-mike-shildt.html

According to Woo, tensions began to grow between Mozeliak and Shildt around midseason, when the Cardinals were still hanging around the NL Central race but struggling to stay above .500.  Other factors contributing to the rift may have included the Cardinals’ lack of major moves at the trade deadline, the front office’s desire to incorporate more analytics into the team’s day-to-day operations, and “growing controversy between Shildt and his coaching staff over his leadership tactics and communication.”

Shildt will release his first public statement about his firing tomorrow, though he did send a text message to Woo discussing some of these reported issues.  There is “no merit” to the idea of discord with the coaches, Shildt said, though as for the other factors cited, “There is merit (to those factors) but not the entire picture.”

Of course the part I really want to be true

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch adds another possible factor to the list, perhaps based around how “The Cardinal Way” has long been a backbone of the organization’s practices.  “Internally, there had been concern about the absence and ongoing leak of Cardinals-rooted presences,” Goold writes, with some internal dismay over what one source described as “losing tradition” to other clubs.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:03 PM, odessasteps said:

I grew up near Fosse's hometown (Marion, IL).  So, I'm guessing everyone here knows that Fosse's career was ostensibly ended when Pete Rose ran over him at the plate in an all-star game.  Cut to years later, Rose ends up going to prison.  Where does he do his time?  The federal penitentiary Marion, IL.

• Like 1

So of all the ways the Yanks could have handled Aaron Boone's status - the give him 3 more years with an extension for a 4th was my least favorite.

Yet here we are...

half expecting the A's latest cheapskate-ass Sabotage The Team So We Can Move, "Major League" style cost-cutting move to be not replacing Melvin at all and to try just simply Not Having A Manager

• Like 1

As a reminder - the current CBA expires Dec 1

So these are the things that will still happen with not knowing what the new CBA looks like

November 3: The beginning of a five-day period where teams and players must decide whether to exercise or decline contract options and opt-out clauses for the 2022 season. Eligible free agents cannot sign with anyone but their current team for five more days.

November 7, 4:00 pm CST: The deadline for teams to issue qualifying offers (one-year, $18.4MM contracts) to eligible free agents. 

November 8: Free agency officially opens.

November 8-11: General managers’ meetings, hosted in Carlsbad, California.

November 17: Deadline for players tagged with a qualifying offer to accept or reject the QO.

November 19: Deadline for teams to add players to the 40-man roster to keep them from selection in the Rule 5 draft.