DVDVR Message Board

Crown Jewel 2021

Kang

I'd mentioned before. I met a gentleman who was high up with IT for WWE at the time. The IT guys had to be out there a week before and some were supposed to stay a bit after also. He mentioned that the stuff about them not paying Vince on time and Vince shutting off the feed was 100% true. They did hold the plane on the runway until things were "resolved"  He mentioned that the IT guys who normally stayed in town later also got to fly back to the US early this trip. He was one of the many cut 2 yrs or so when WWE did their massive office cuts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah of course it's just that Meltzer and others made it seem like a huge deal and i just don't see many WWE personnel treating as such

There's a couple podcasts out there with people who were on the plane. Talk n Shop was definitely one of the podcasts where it was discussed. The stories from everyone all line up. They weren't being held hostage per se, but the situation was definitely fucked up because they had pilots getting on the plane, then getting off the plane, and some other wishy washy shit that I can't remember now, but it all added up to there being one excuse after another to keep them there. Then, once everything was resolved, they were all of a sudden allowed to leave.

And there were guards out on the tarmac with assault rifles, which added to the spookiness of the situation, but I think that's just a normal reaction. Any time I go to a Cubs game now and see a bunch of cops with assault rifles it is a weird to see. It certainly didn't make me feel more safe. Now, if you're those people on that plane and you're in a country where the Crown Prince had a reporter chopped up and you see dudes standing around with AKs, it's not going to make you feel any better. The fact of the matter is that those dudes standing around with AKs is probably just a normal thing over there.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

There's a couple podcasts out there with people who were on the plane. Talk n Shop was definitely one of the podcasts where it was discussed. The stories from everyone all line up. They weren't being held hostage per se, but the situation was definitely fucked up because they had pilots getting on the plane, then getting off the plane, and some other wishy washy shit that I can't remember now, but it all added up to there being one excuse after another to keep them there. Then, once everything was resolved, they were all of a sudden allowed to leave.

And there were guards out on the tarmac with assault rifles, which added to the spookiness of the situation, but I think that's just a normal reaction. Any time I go to a Cubs game now and see a bunch of cops with assault rifles it is a weird to see. It certainly didn't make me feel more safe. Now, if you're those people on that plane and you're in a country where the Crown Prince had a reporter chopped up and you see dudes standing around with AKs, it's not going to make you feel any better. The fact of the matter is that those dudes standing around with AKs is probably just a normal thing over there.

if i was a wrestler or employee of any company in that type of situation i can't see myself wanting to risk going there again but money is powerful and it's likely that WWE sold all of the talent on how it was a minor misunderstanding etc..  Still i think i'd feel uncomfortable making the trip.  i don't know. 

One time live WWE's on rather than in the early hours of the morning and it's this fucking thing. I won't be watching. Only things I've seen from Blood Money were Titus Worldslide which was hilarious and DX vs. Brothers of Destruction/The Undertaker vs. Goldberg/The Fiend vs. Goldberg which were fucking dreadful. Three of the worst matches I've ever seen.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So Taker was over there to do the Pitbull thing and didn't do anything on this show? Even funnier. 

I'll admit I was only half paying attention during a few matches, but I thought when Lashley was walking up the ramp to escape Goldberg, I thought I saw smoke and was thinking we were going to hear a gong.  But it was just Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum with sticks. 

Live from Beautiful, Progressive, Riyadh, it's SaudiMania VI~!

Often times my favorite WWE events of the year for the weirdness of it all. Edge/Seth was a good long HIAC, probably my favorite match of their trilogy. Epic RKBro Camel entrance ruled. 

"Do you know who that is? He's a silver medalist karate fighter!!!"

Pleasantly shocked that Zelina won, did not expect that at all. Coming back to a long losing streak finally worth it. Can't stand doudrop so glad we were spared that. Long live Zelina!

Goldberg/Lashley was properly epic with one hell of a finish. What I was looking forward the most and definitely delivered.

Main event was fun and went predictably as expected. Announcing it as no DQ and then taking it back was weird. Guessing Brock comes back to win the Rumble in a few.  Shocked there was no Undertaker appearance.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

I have no interest in watching this because of the whole dictatorial regime thing. But it's really awesome that we now have King Xavier. I've said it a bunch of times on here that The New Day has been the greatest stable in WWE history both in kayfabe and also out of it. This is just another feather in their already very full cap. 

I love Xavier so much. I thought he was absolutely awful when he was in NXT and his early WWE run. But he really shined when The New Day did their first start and then he broke out in his nerd irritant Michael Hayes role once they turned heel. Along the way, his in-ring game caught him and he ended up as the best Ricky Morton tribute act in years. 

He's SO good at my favorite parts of performance. He knows how to go big with his emotional responses in matches but they look organic and not faked at all. You can see what he's trying to convey from the back of a domed football stadium and also on TV. I think in many ways he was the first member of The New Day alliance to really develop that connection with the crowd. Kofi was of course a known entity but was really stale. Big E still didn't quite hit yet. Xavier's heel shtick and Francesca magically clicked, and then Kofi and Big E found their voice right after that, and the legend was born. He really knows how to show vulnerability and the struggle to overcome the odds. 

All of this makes sense knowing his "other" life. He was getting a PhD in childhood psychology, which is pretty much the exact subject to study if you want to learn about how the brain of emotionally stunted wrestling fans works. His gaming stuff is not my scene but he's excellent at that and can host those shows as long as he wants. He could be a major talk show host if he wanted, too. 

One of my faves winning a huge moment.

• Like 7

The other deal with Xavier is that it's obvious he cares about this. If he cares about being King of the Ring then the fans are going to care too. If the announcers tell us that he's been talking about it for years, then it's obviously something that's important not just to him but in general. It's not just Corbin wearing a dumb crown.

• Like 7

Undertaker is pretty much done, his knees are really finished. They could always instead bring back Kane, Triple H, and few others for these events.

I am not sure what other month gets the extra Saudi ppv next year, could end up taking over Fastlanes spot or Hell in the Cell's spot.

Woods has been talking about wanting to win KotR for like seven years. It matters to him.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2