DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Pirata Morgan being below Test and Konnan seems like something that would get you Cashed nowadays.

Based on the storyline going on at the time, I'm surprised Test isn't higher.

Since it seems like we’re at a bit of an impasse here regarding Baszler/PVZ.l, I say we move the comparison out of the cage/ring. Baszler is (was?) dating Dakota Kai. Van Zandt is married to some dude with a horrendous rock tattoo. I gotta go with Baszler here. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Log said:

Since it seems like we’re at a bit of an impasse here regarding Baszler/PVZ.l, I say we move the comparison out of the cage/ring. Baszler is (was?) dating Dakota Kai. Van Zandt is married to some dude with a horrendous rock tattoo. I gotta go with Baszler here. 

For MMA, stupid tattoo is probably the most inoffensive thing as far as a significant other. It could be Neo Nazi ties, long history of domestic abuse, fought on show for a Chechen dictator, etc etc. Just a slew of unsavory things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

He's perfectly fine.

Where does one start with the Danhausen catalog?  

To me a Briscoe Brothers signing would be up there with Punk, Dragon, Malakai, etc.  But considering the fact that arguably the best women's wrestler in the world (also arguably the best unsigned wrestler in the world) still hasn't become All Elite, do the Briscoes qualify with their shady tweeting past?  I really hope so.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I love the Briscoes and have always enjoyed seeing them in person.  Not too many times in my life I can say I did shots of whiskey with a tag team and their father to boot.  But if they're going to be considered for AEW those tweets are definitely going to need to be discussed.  I'm not saying they need to change their tune but if they can at least trusted to keep that shit to themselves then I think/hope they'll be fine.

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

But considering the fact that arguably the best women's wrestler in the world (also arguably the best unsigned wrestler in the world) still hasn't become All Elite

Give it time, Allie Katch will get there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where does one start with the Danhausen catalog?  

I first discovered him in Beyond wrestling - uncharted territory season 2 where he had a few matches with / against Chris Dickinson & Pinkie Sanchez.  That was the first time I kind of “got” his in ring stuff.  I then went back and watched a bunch of his other stuff.  I don’t watch ROH so no idea if his stuff there has been decent but I would imagine so.

He can be purposefully formulaic in ring but it’s done so he can mess with expectations and do something else.  I quite like watching his matches.  He’d be a perfect frenemy for the Dark Order.  

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 2

His two big spots are throwing his opponent out of the ring, and then doing the Pee Wee Herman dance on the apron (to Tequila by The Champs) while kicking them in the head, and pouring a jar of teeth into their mouth and then kicking them in the jaw.

However, before he was Danhausen, when he still pretended to have a first name, and used to paint his face to look like a regular human person, he was a solid technical wrestler. Really good Northern Lights Suplex.

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

Seriously, if they would have matched up Baszler vs. Gina Carano, do you guys think Baszler would have had a chance in that fight? 

Probably not, since Carano would outweigh her by 20+ pounds.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:00 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

As is, Brian Cage feels dead in the water.  He's got an excellent set of tools, but needs the compliment of a partner and manager.  Jim Neidhart wasn't a singles guy either, but the Anvil was a great tag presence beside the Hitman and the Mouth of the South.  

If Nese can learn to embrace his inner doucheness as a positive, they would make a great WCW Saturday Night babyface team. 

Cage should grow his hair/sideburns and embrace his inner wolverine/sabretooth/spirit-cat.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

His two big spots are throwing his opponent out of the ring, and then doing the Pee Wee Herman dance on the apron (to Tequila by The Champs) while kicking them in the head, and pouring a jar of teeth into their mouth and then kicking them in the jaw.

However, before he was Danhausen, when he still pretended to have a first name, and used to paint his face to look like a regular human person, he was a solid technical wrestler. Really good Northern Lights Suplex.

Before I die, I need to see him against Orange Cassidy on tv. And then to hear Jim Cornette’s head explode reviewing it.

• Like 2

I just watched my first Tony Nese match.  A bout with Spanky from the Cruiserweight Classic, as recommended.  So good.  Suddenly excited by this signing.  Not sure what happened to him in WWE after this, but he was awesome here, and it certainly wasn't a carry job.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace said:

Probably not, since Carano would outweigh her by 20+ pounds.

Not really, both of them fought at featherweight (145) during Carano's run, and Baszler fought as heavy as lightweight (155).  Carano is the naturally larger woman, but Baszler isn't some frail waif.  

I just watched my first Tony Nese match.  A bout with Spanky from the Cruiserweight Classic, as recommended.  So good.  Suddenly excited by this signing.  Not sure what happened to him WWE after this, but he was awesome here, and it certainly wasn't a carry job.   

Tony Nese is talented, and I kind of want to see what he can do when given a chance to be a little higher on the card, but I don't see how he is going to get that chance with this loaded roster.  

On 10/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, supremebve said:

Not really, both of them fought at featherweight (145) during Carano's run, and Baszler fought as heavy as lightweight (155).  Carano is the naturally larger woman, but Baszler isn't some frail waif.  

About that...Kelly Kobold (who fought Shayna AND apparently ODB which is hilarious) fought at 160 back in the mid 2000s. Guess what she fought at in her last fight in 2018? 125. And she's been at 125 for several years now after spending the first half of her career at 145+. Just because girls fight at certain weights doesn't mean they are that weight. The reason why a lot of those women fought at higher weights is just cause opponents were very sparse as well as getting booked, period. Unfortunately, in women's boxing, it still goes down like that. You have some women who have fought as low as 118 or 122 relatively recently fighting for world titles at 135, 140, and as high as 147 just cause the latter divisions are thin on active talent. So they get booked as a B side against the A side, who is the champion and much bigger physically. When Shayna fought Cyborg (and this was relatively smaller Cyborg compared to the one now walking around also at 165-170), Shayna couldn't even grab hold of her and almost got punted through the cage live on CBS. We watched that happen. Thirteen years later, somebody like that is going to be two divisions below a Cris Cyborg and never getting booked to fight her.

Gina, honestly, use to walk around at 165-170ish which made getting down tough. And she struggled mightily. If Baszler fought on, she would have eventually got down to 125 just because a lot of the women who fought at 135-145 did go down due to bigger and more athletic women entering MMA. Hell, Shayna is taller than Valentina but she ain't that much bigger than Valentina. Valentina is at 125. 

• Like 1