DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

44 minutes ago, Jiji said:

When did Crockett or Florida or any Dusty booked stuff ever shy away from clear cut heels and faces? 

I think you could make an argument that the territory really heated up in 85 once Flair went full heel and stopped being a tweener and feuding with guys like Landell and the Russians. I'm not 100% sure it'd be accurate but it feels right to me.

• Like 3

I’m sure Dusty was telling himself the business had moved on and there were no heels or faces anymore…right around the time the fans were tiring of him and starting to boo.  ?

If Dusty never said “heel” or “babyface” around Cody, he was probably kayfabing the poor kid.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If Dusty never said “heel” or “babyface” around Cody, he was probably kayfabing the poor kid.

Didn't everyone kayfabe their families then?

That's fucking terrible (if not unexpected, having seen the photo from yesterday). Poor guy must be hurting quite a bit, and I'm sure it affects him out there at least on some level. I actually feel quite guilty about some of my more overly harsh critiques on his AEW stuff now, knowing he's got a huge ass tumor hanging off his leg. Best wishes to J.R. for a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Riho is working the Dark tapings today, and I can’t figure out her year at all. She’s only worked one match in Japan, per Cagematch, yet her appearances in AEW have been sporadic and fairly inconsequential since the tournament earlier this year. And she’s not in the TBS field at all. Very strange.

She was injured, I believe, but no way should these former champs be sidelined like they have. Look at how they treated Jericho and Moxley. Riho and Shida are not those two but to basically be deleted from TV up until Shida's little current losing streak gimmick they're working is ridiculous. Nyla is the only one that's been kept in the rotation.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:41 AM, Craig H said:

I thought I had wandered into the picture thread...

Y'know I've had some referrals to blocking particular folks to avoid this repeating issue with photo/tweet/gif spam from the same part(y). January 2022 photo&gif thread, 1st post Rippa lays out a simple guideline for pictures gifs tweets etc. Didn't take a week for it to get blatantly ignored. Accidentally got the thread closed for a day for my rude reaction to the spam. Idiot me I figured if someone is picture-tweet spamming for Likes they can just open an actual social media account or something? ? 

Tldr- I can't recommend blocking as it would mean I'd miss out on some monthly threads as well as some weekly wrestling threads along with some of the comic movies tv threads. Blocking means I'd miss out on the discussion that I enjoy taking place around the pic spam

Gordi, Just Drew, Goodyear, Matt D, Jiji and many others give some great insights into their thought process on what works for them and what doesn't. Noflips will add some stuff, lots of great stuff by the majority of the posters in the Aew and wwe forums, so I mean I personally dig the discussion portions of the board. Badbury had that take about Cody that really opened my eyes about a week back, maybe two? 

Tldr Really love when a message board has well written discussions, even if both sides don't see eye to eye. I love a good list when someone highlights and calls out the thoughts behind their rankings and what exactly gives this match a higher spot vs that other match. Lists for the List God with no thoughts or comments behind it, for me.. no thanks.

Edited by Hayabusa
Lists for the List God, Spam for the Meme Throne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought I'd hit this in the morning but I've got an early work call so...

Dark Elevation 10/25/21

Hirsch/Mizunami vs Diamante/Kay: Fun match that sort of fell apart towards the end. Diamante is so good at leaning into her character with everything she does. It's all the more impressive since she's really a JTTS but she's just 100% committed and always on. She should have a job for as long as they're running shows. Hirsh and Mizunami is just a great Al Snow and Steve Blackman sort of pairing, if Al Snow was a powerhouse beast in the ring too. Mizunami just exudes fun. I don't know if I like Hirsch getting off her feet so much. I think I'd rather her dig out from underneath and take out limbs and just wreck people that way. The German was amazing, for instance. But at least the tandem offense was creative. Like I said, after that crazy double team flip, everything kind of fell apart but at least we got a Kevin Sullivan shout out from it. .65 Worldwide point.

FTR vs Liona/Reed: This might be the most natural I've seen Tully with them. He just really felt like he was a manager and not just a guy collecting a paycheck for nostalgia's sake coming out. Maybe it's the theme? Anyway, after Wheeler looked just great on the mat, what a great showcase for Liona this turned out to be. If the roster wasn't so stacked up and down, I'd say they had money there. As it is, they might not even need him. Fans were going up for everything he was doing, and in chipping away at him, FTR looked all the better for it. I loved how they kept tagging in. At one point, Dax tagged in, got his positioning and realized that it made sense to tag Cash right back in before he did anything so they could do it (it being the double catapult which was great) together. The finish was pretty funny as Reed shows ass as the worst hot tag in history. Just a clear case of FTR realizing what they had in there with Toa and made themselves by helping to make him. Great stuff.

Emi Sakura vs Reka Tehaka: Man, you could hear crickets during Emi's control stuff. The crowd just didn't want to come along for that ride. I'm not sure the hairpulling and strength counter really worked. They didn't care about the forearms either but did like wooing for the chops. The best stuff here was Reka's headbutts. Just big sweeping smashes. I like how Emi just kept shifting her tactics as one thing didn't work but it just didn't garner her any heat. The Lulu mugging after the corner splash is amazing and it's going to catch on. They need to start using still shots of that. For a brief moment, Lulu got a tiny chant. It will happen. Her bump off the robe toss at the start was maybe the fourth best part of the match. I do like that Emi has 3-4 different ways she can end things.

QT vs 10: QT's bigger than I thought. At least he's managing big guys. Got to heat up 10 en route to Mox and it was a really gutsy performance from QT after his eye exploded. He's experienced enough to switch things up too. The announcers didn't pick up on it but he went right after 10's eye for revenge. It's so weird 10 does the "Ten Ten Ten" gimmick when Spears is there. Have they ever done anything with that? This basically made me want to see 10 vs Comoroto. Too many people in AEW do that double running shot into the corner, where they hit it from one angle and then the other. Maybe QT got a little too much of this but really, all anyone was looking at was the eye.

Paul Wight vs Bravo/Singh/Carter: It's just fun. Him coming from the announcers' booth was a good visual. I like how they swarmed him at the start. The spear/tackle thing was a great visual. Good on Bravo for taking that. One thing about Wight vs 3 guys is that he can hit a big match-ending spot on each of them. Carter's sell for the KO punch was Punch Out-esque.

• Like 5