DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tony's announced Punk-Sydal will open Rampage and be commercial free.

Lol.

Vince or Fox...(maybe both) to counter that has made the extra half hour of Smackdown commercial free.

Edited by Phantom Lord

3 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Vince or Fox...(maybe both) to counter that has made the extra half hour of Smackdown commercial free.

Close. The last half hour of SmackDown was already announced as being commercial free to counter Rampage. Punk-Sydal being commercial free is a counter to their counter. 

As silly as fan grievance is, wrestling war stuff is fun! 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

So, despite this big "lovefest" (TM CM Punk), does it concern anyone that the ratings of both shows have dropped steadily since Punk's debut? I remember some people thinking that if AEW didn't exceed their previous ceiling, it would look really bad for everyone involved.

If I was sure Punk had the ring cardio, I'd suggest they just do an 8 minute sprint so Tony can lol and say there's your ad free match, but the truth is they have generally been doing a timed 90 second adbreak during the first match with picture-in-picture so they can probably get most or all of that in a bit later (once they are unopposed) if they really want to.

Plus it's not like Punk-Garcia brought the ratings last week

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

So, despite this big "lovefest" (TM CM Punk), does it concern anyone that the ratings of both shows have dropped steadily since Punk's debut? I remember some people thinking that if AEW didn't exceed their previous ceiling, it would look really bad for everyone involved.

Not really. Speaking of Rampage in particular, getting the key demo to watch *anything* regularly at Friday nights at 10PM is a struggle. It's really about calibrated expectations. 

Ultimately you could make a case for trying to move it to Thursday down the line, but the fact that they got a second show on TNT so quickly is an achievement in itself. The bigger picture is you have arenas and TV companies who are *very happy* doing business with this upstart wrestling company.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Not really. Speaking of Rampage in particular, getting the key demo to watch *anything* regularly at Friday nights at 10PM is a struggle. It's really about calibrated expectations.

If they'd done 600,00 regularly the whole time, that argument would work. Both both Rampage and Dynamite got huge bumps from Punk's debut, and now they're back to almost exactly where they started.

If I'm Tony, I'm doing a lot less public bragging and a lot more figuring out why the fuck almost NONE of your potential new viewers have stuck around.

EDIT: To be clear, if it was ACTUALLY ME, I'd be happy just to be profitable. As I've said before. But if you're a typical business type who thinks you're failing if you're not always growing, that seems like the kind of thing that would send you into a tailspin.

Edited by Dog

The episode with Punk was the 2nd episoide of Rampage, so that piece of analysis falls at the first hurdle.

First Dynamite with Punk drew 1172000 (0.48). They've beaten that since. They've never been below the 0.35 demo rating they scored the 2 Dynamites previous to that.

So I'm just not sure I get your take on the data.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

The episode with Punk was the 2nd episoide of Rampage, so that piece of analysis falls at the first hurdle.

We also have the Friday night Dynamites as data points.

Edited by Dog

8 minutes ago, Dog said:

We also have the Friday night Dynamites as data points.

Okay, so no I'm not entirely sure you can easily compare the ratings of the A show to the B show and draw certain conclusions either. Matches happen on Rampage, but stories get progressed on Dynamite. I am guessing you won't be satisfied with that explanation, but there it is.

It's not a matter of me being satisfied, it's a matter of not having rose-colored glasses on.

I guess it wouldn't be so weird to me if Tony wasn't out there swinging his dick around as ratings continue to drop, drop, drop. It makes him look unhinged, which is something I never would have thought of him before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

"Everyone has a filter except me" is not a very self-aware look.

I don't know how you got that from what I wrote. I just don't have that one, particular filter.

Anyway, moving on.

P.S. No one's ever accused me of being self-aware. ASD will do that. ?

Edited by Dog

I've watched a few of Tony's interviews this week and seen most of the tweets that got a lot of traction. He's seemingly trying to make this Friday Night Slapfight more than it is while tempering expectations with talk of "no matter what happens we'll put on the better show," but there's nothing I've seen that's inconsistent with who he's been all along. Not sure why anyone would think any different of him over the same overenthusiasm he's always had. 

The problem I have with Rampage is that it's taped - first and foremost. Maybe it's unfair of me, but I think we can all agree live wrestling/sports is just so much better in the moment than going back to watch it later. You then couple that with the fact that - outside of that second Rampage (Punk's debut which also happened to be live) the crowd isn't into it as much as they are with Rampage. Then, we can boomerang around to the fact that an 18-45 demographic is probably busy on Friday nights whether it's partying with friends, dates, ect. HOWEVER, I think that due to the "omg CM Punk is returning!" is what gave them such a strong rating there. That's the anomaly right now.

Let's be honest, Rampage is nothing more than a glorified Sunday Night Heat as it stands right now. You look at the cards and you can pick out who's winning every match probably pretty close to every time. Sure you'll get your IC vs. ATT type matches like tonight, but Punk vs. Daniel Garcia or Punk vs. Matt Sydal. I mean c'mon, we all know who's winning those. 

I'd really be tempted to almost just throw Rampage on at 7 or even head to head for the first hour of SD at 8 at this rate, assuming they have to stay on Friday nights. I heard TK talking about how they aren't running Full Gear on a Sunday to prevent him from going head to head with the NFL which makes sense since they are both his businesses. By process of elimination, that takes away Sunday, Monday, and Thursday from any potential AEW shows if I had to guess. That leaves you Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I doubt they'd want to have Rampage air a week later so Tuesday would probably be off the table leaving only Friday and Saturday.

Personally, I always thought it would be cool if they could get BTE on national TV. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the interactions and just zaniness that takes place and think that could really appeal to the non wrestling fans out there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

The problem I have with Rampage is that it's taped - first and foremost. Maybe it's unfair of me, but I think we can all agree live wrestling/sports is just so much better in the moment than going back to watch it later. You then couple that with the fact that - outside of that second Rampage (Punk's debut which also happened to be live) the crowd isn't into it as much as they are with Rampage. Then, we can boomerang around to the fact that an 18-45 demographic is probably busy on Friday nights whether it's partying with friends, dates, ect. HOWEVER, I think that due to the "omg CM Punk is returning!" is what gave them such a strong rating there. That's the anomaly right now.

Let's be honest, Rampage is nothing more than a glorified Sunday Night Heat as it stands right now. You look at the cards and you can pick out who's winning every match probably pretty close to every time. Sure you'll get your IC vs. ATT type matches like tonight, but Punk vs. Daniel Garcia or Punk vs. Matt Sydal. I mean c'mon, we all know who's winning those. 

I'd really be tempted to almost just throw Rampage on at 7 or even head to head for the first hour of SD at 8 at this rate, assuming they have to stay on Friday nights. I heard TK talking about how they aren't running Full Gear on a Sunday to prevent him from going head to head with the NFL which makes sense since they are both his businesses. By process of elimination, that takes away Sunday, Monday, and Thursday from any potential AEW shows if I had to guess. That leaves you Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I doubt they'd want to have Rampage air a week later so Tuesday would probably be off the table leaving only Friday and Saturday.

Personally, I always thought it would be cool if they could get BTE on national TV. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the interactions and just zaniness that takes place and think that could really appeal to the non wrestling fans out there.

I’m not sure that it being taped is as much of an issue as it is being taped after a 2 hour show and some dark matches. The crowd just doesn’t have the same juice.

As far as time slots Friday at 10 is obviously terrible. I was hoping they’d get the old WCW Saturday Night time slot had and still hope it’s moved there at some point.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'd really be tempted to almost just throw Rampage on at 7 or even head to head for the first hour of SD at 8 at this rate, assuming they have to stay on Friday nights.

I'd go 7 over first hour of Smackdown. But I agree, Rampage is Sunday Night Heat - or early doors Main Event at best.

But yeah, Saturday Night ideally with a repeat in a Hangover Sunday slot is the way to go in my view.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica