DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2021

The Natural

Love how people (mostly WWE fan boys) complaining that Danielson vs Suzuki is just some hot shot attempt for attention and has no story behind to care.   I mean the story is pretty obvious to me.  you have this Japanese legend who is on an American trip looking for the best competition.  

If Tony is knew that his schedule was going to clear on that day then maybe he could have done something to prepare for it.  but even that it would have only been a week build and people will bitch about it still.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think it is about time that Ashley D'Amboise posted a win against lesser caliber opponents.   She's got some flashes of brilliance and a wicked ass neckbreaker.  I also hate KiLynn's finisher.  She is a pretty big girl and needs to be using power slams or something to kill ladies.

Anthony Green is the gatekeeper jobber that AEW needs to hold down Dark, but I am not sure that AEW should be signing anyone else given their gigantic roster.  I love Evil Uno's swagger.  That guy is pro wrestling.

I think King's finish would work better if she slowed down her set up so she got her opponent up like Bob Backlund would for an atomic drop.  Got them as high as possible with their legs 90 degrees up in the air, hold them a moment and then fling them down. I think that would help show off her height and power which is what she should be working to showcase. 

I agree about Greene, I think he's going to do well against someone like Spears who has a similar bent towards a more traditional structure.

Edited by Goodear

8 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Is FTR's Midnight Express remix theme new? It's just one more piece that makes them one of the best acts today.

Yes. Love #FTR. #FTR are due a long reign with the AEW World Tag Team Championship. Bullshit the first reign was so short. Best tag team in wrestling. #FTR over the Young Bucks by far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Love how people (mostly WWE fan boys) complaining that Danielson vs Suzuki is just some hot shot attempt for attention and has no story behind to care.   I mean the story is pretty obvious to me.  you have this Japanese legend who is on an American trip looking for the best competition.  

Seriously.  I guess, in 2021, it's a crazy idea that this fake sport is being booked like an actual sport and they don't need them fighting over shampoo commercials, haunted dolls, motorcycles, etc.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If Tony is knew that his schedule was going to clear on that day then maybe he could have done something to prepare for it.  but even that it would have only been a week build and people will bitch about it still.

Hell, Danielson's storyline is simple, he's looking for the best competition and won't back down from wrestling anyone. Enter Suzuki who's a crazy old man who loves to fight anyone and booking this match at any time makes sense.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 9

My only question is - should they have done Fish vs. Danielson on thd Buy In and then Suzuki/BD on Dynamite. Because to me, BD vs. Suzuki feels like a MUCH bigger match than filet o Fish vs. DB.

• Like 3

It is hard to say.  Your smarks with international pedigree will probably tend to say that Danielson vs. Suzuki is the bigger match, but then you've got Bobby Fish who is a decorated champion in RoH as well as WWE / NXT, NOAH, and NJPW and sleeping on him could be a really bad mistake.

On paper it's also a crap shoot since despite their caliber, both Fish and Suzuki have yet to get a win in AEW and I don't see either guy being booked to beat Danielson.

I think you could make a case with either match being the bigger of the two, even though I would consider Suzuki to be the more prestigious contest.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Dynamite isn’t in direct competition with another wrestling program, and it’s going to have the out of being on a different night when the ratings aren’t going to be great regardless. They need a big match for the Buy In more. 

The common denominator is Danielson. If someone’s a casual and ends up watching the YouTube show it’ll be because of him. Suzuki is going to pique the interest of someone more invested who may not otherwise watch the Buy In live. 

• Like 1

Neither guy has beaten anyone of importance in an AEW ring and I expect both of them to get their asses whooped no matter how much Danielson pimps them as threats.  Both contests are more or less on even keel with me, but Suzuki vs. BD has a better chance of forcing me to stay awake to watch the main.

Edited by J.T.

Utterly bizarre to me, that weird fans on twitter pull out the "i DoN't KnOw WhO tHaT iS!" ignorance flex, on someone who already wrestled on Dynamite TWICE (and one was a main event, no less). Notwithstanding that he trended Worldwide a couple of weeks ago thanks to the Suzuki Incident thing. Notwithstanding that he's been a known name in the business for like 3 decades already.

This whole "I don't know who that is" as a dismissive gesture is hard for me to get my head around. Like, AJ Styles debuted in the Royal Rumble to a big response, didn't he? Nakamura went to WWE and people were hyped about it, weren't they? Why were they? They didn't know who he was?

NXT 2.0 being the "You don't know who these people are" show is getting a lot of love from some WWE fans. Even as they pull out an Ostrich-mode dismissal of legit legends. It's beyond logic, I tell you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This is very cute

E: Also I was playing Guacamelee last night and had never realized that Player Uno appears on some of the billboards in the game, so that was neat.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

Utterly bizarre to me, that weird fans on twitter pull out the "i DoN't KnOw WhO tHaT iS!" ignorance flex, on someone who already wrestled on Dynamite TWICE (and one was a main event, no less). Notwithstanding that he trended Worldwide a couple of weeks ago thanks to the Suzuki Incident thing. Notwithstanding that he's been a known name in the business for like 3 decades already.

This whole "I don't know who that is" as a dismissive gesture is hard for me to get my head around. Like, AJ Styles debuted in the Royal Rumble to a big response, didn't he? Nakamura went to WWE and people were hyped about it, weren't they? Why were they? They didn't know who he was?

NXT 2.0 being the "You don't know who these people are" show is getting a lot of love from some WWE fans. Even as they pull out an Ostrich-mode dismissal of legit legends. It's beyond logic, I tell you.

That's a recent thing in a lot of media nowadays.  Now, first off, I want to be clear that I'm not piling on @Greggulatorhere.  His argument for a video package on Suzuki was more along the lines of, "they need to show something to tell me why to care about this guy", but it got turned into something else.  I'm not talking about that.

I remember when the first Guardians of the Galaxy was announced, there was a lot of "This movie's going to fail! No one knows these characters!" So, now we have to know every character in a movie before we see it? Did people in 1977 feel this way about Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo?  I don't know, personally, I love seeing something new that I haven't seen before. I'm sick of the constant need for EVERY SINGLE THING to be existing IP, but that's a different argument for a different time.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm sick of the constant need for EVERY SINGLE THING to be existing IP, but that's a different argument for a different time.

It sounds kind of insane now, but I legitimately think that at some point in the future (not now, but maybe ten years or so) we're going to have a WWE press release announcing "a new actor taking on the iconic role of The Undertaker" or something like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It sounds kind of insane now, but I legitimately think that at some point in the future (not now, but maybe ten years or so) we're going to have a WWE press release announcing "a new actor taking on the iconic role of The Undertaker" or something like that. 

Or…

Spoiler

A5-BB5-CB5-7-DD4-4-A0-D-934-A-A913-CF5-A

• Like 2

Getting withdrawal from not having my usual Dynamite fix to look forward to on Thursday evening here. On the plus side it’ll be great to watch both Rampage and Dynamite live on the weekend. Hopefully the neurosis and concern trolling about ratings (elsewhere) chills out a bit during this pre-emption time, though I know TK stoked those flames to an extent with the Smackdown smack talk.

Personally I would have kept Fish on a per-show basis, but not my money. Also I saw Tony saying that he knows Windham but is not in talks about bringing him in. Assuming he’s not kayfabing that’s a relief that he’s not snapping up yet another free agent for now.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yes. Love #FTR. #FTR are due a long reign with the AEW World Tag Team Championship. Bullshit the first reign was so short. Best tag team in wrestling. #FTR over the Young Bucks by far.

I suspect this is going to be the Bret vs Shaun of modern day tag wrestling.  I'm team Bret as I was in the early 90s.

• Like 2

Someone zoomed in on a still photo of TK holding a notebook and presto, we might have the whole Full Gear card leaked.

Spoilers in the spoiler tag.

Edit to add: if you click through to the replies on Twitter, people have pretty much been able to read the whole thing.

Spoiler

Edited by S.K.o.S.

Voices of Wrestling are claiming that WWE is behind the fast national numbers being leaked for Rampage every weekend, and it kind of checks out since SRS has been getting them before even Wrestlenomics.