DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

7 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Eh, if you can bring in Charlotte, fucking Dragon Lee and Rush, you do it.

Oh, I don't have a problem bringing them in. But when folks start complaining they're are not on television much, you should know why. There are like 90 other people they have to figure out what to do with. However, with Charlotte, I'm pretty sure it's gonna end up being the Britt and Charlotte show like 2-3 weeks in.

Spitball here...why can't AEW and WWE do a straight up one time trade like UFC and ONE FC did swapping Demetrious Johnson and Ben Askren? They ended up working well for both parties. WWE sends them Charlotte and gets back who? Jericho? I mean what else can Jericho do in AEW now that Punk and Danielson are there? Sammy can be the new Inner Circle leader.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

However, with Charlotte, I'm pretty sure it's gonna end up being the Britt and Charlotte show like 2-3 weeks in.

I got no problem with that.  Total Baker face turn.

• Like 1

Just now, DEAN said:

I got no problem with that.  Total Baker face turn.

And that's what I thought would happen if they (AEW) brought in Tessa. You want her to be a big babyface? Bring in the powderkeg. That'll do it. ?

• Like 2

Not sure if WWE de-emphasized the Womens midcard on both Raw and SD, there has been breaks for that division before ramping that division up again.

If Charlotte leaves, Sasha and Bayley will be moved up ranking wise.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

And then we get Britt/Chugs vs Andrade/Charlotte for the TNT Mixed Doubles Tag Team titles. 

Well no.  Baker and Cole would have to kayfabe breakup to sell the face turn!

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

And then we get Britt/Chugs vs Andrade/Charlotte for the TNT Mixed Doubles Tag Team titles. 

I feel like Cody and black Ann Gunkel will win it, and then everyone will bitch the AEW Mixed match challenge was ruined by Cody.

• Haha 1

All this talk about Charlotte, and alot of other WWE talent who have "bad behaviour"...how much of it is due to the toxic af work environment that they have to exist in on a weekly basis? How much of that goes away when your boss is Tony Khan instead of Vince McMahon?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh, I don't have a problem bringing them in. But when folks start complaining they're are not on television much, you should know why.

I'd give Charlotte a go and set some very clear expectations on what is OK and what isn't but this is still the salient point I think. AEW currently has a roster as big if not bigger than the RAW and Smackdown rosters combined. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm hoping for a nice year-long run by Brian Danielson for the TCM Pure Wrestling title (all matches in black and white and introduced by Ben Mankiewicz).

Surprised TK has not gotten them on CN or Boomerang yet. 

5 minutes ago, killsteve said:

I'd give Charlotte a go and set some very clear expectations on what is OK and what isn't but this is still the salient point I think. AEW currently has a roster as big if not bigger than the RAW and Smackdown rosters combined. 

I would be more a lot more receptive if they had better ideas for everyone coming in, but it seems like besides a Punk or people they were already knew were coming, they don't really anything all that intriguing cause it's so short notice or happenstance. Keep in mind, they have someone new literally every week now.

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I mean what else can Jericho do in AEW now that Punk and Danielson are there? 

Jericho’s a lock to be AEW’s top color commentator when he retires. If he goes back to WWE he’d get a decent last run and a HoF ring, but if he has his heart set on being an announcer I don’t think he’d want to do it with Vince in his ear. 

• Like 3

Just now, (BP) said:

Jericho’s a lock to be AEW’s top color commentator when he retires. If he goes back to WWE he’d get a decent last run and a HoF ring, but if he has his heart set on being an announcer I don’t think he’d want to do it with Vince in his ear. 

I feel like unless Jericho is co-booking himself like he probably is with the Lambert/ATT stuff, he really isn't needed. At first (the first year and during the pandemic), they needed him to keep the ratings consistent. Now? I doubt he makes a big difference other than the crowd can sing along with his entrance. I think if he can do one final swan song and go out on a match he really feels good about, then you pretty much got everything you wanted out of him during his AEW run. I feel like he can do commentary for a few months, but then he just becomes someone on commentary.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks that Charlotte has a legitimate gripe?  That was an incredibly stupid segment, and the only thing that really made it worth talking about is that Charlotte was legitimately upset about how it went down.  She actually gives a fuck, and quite frankly both her and Becky's character's are better off after that segment.  Neither of those characters should be OK with giving away a belt.  Both of those women would hate the mere idea of having the other one standing on their corner, and that exchange is much more authentic to their characters and they should be applauded for turning that bullshit segment into something worth talking about.

• Like 7

I'm kinda laughing at everyone screeching about Charlotte when she actually wanted to drop the belt to Bianca instead of Becky being ok with nuking her in 10 seconds on the 2nd biggest PPV of the year. 

And Becky getting the pass on throwing a fit about not getting "her moment" on the show.

It's almost as if we're tribaling up against a certain wrestler while ignoring another...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

Meltzer says WWE wants to discipline Charlotte for her dustup with Becky after Friday’s show, but is reluctant to because they typically don’t discipline talent for tantrums and bad backstage behavior.  Apparently, Vince doesn’t want to set a precedent he can be called out on later.

option 1: setting a precedent that you will be punished if you act up and throw a tantrum.

option 2: reinforcing the existing precedent that there's a specific hierarchy as far as who gets punished and why. top talent (a completely arbitrary line and decision, BTW) has free reign, midcard needs to walk on eggshells. maybe they should reach for that brass ring. also, get yourself over, but not unless the company approves it and gets paid for your hard work.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm kinda laughing at everyone screeching about Charlotte when she actually wanted to drop the belt to Bianca instead of Becky being ok with nuking her in 10 seconds on the 2nd biggest PPV of the year. 

And Becky getting the pass on throwing a fit about not getting "her moment" on the show.

Pivotal point you may be missing in this rather generous read on that hypothetical (and uncorroborated) scenario: If Charlotte drops the belt to Bianca on Monday, then by extension Becky has to drop the belt to her on Friday to even things out, which puts Charlotte over her chief political rival and adds another tick to her countdown to equaling her Dad.  At this point, I don’t know why anyone would assume Charlotte is doing anything to benefit someone other than herself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

IIt's almost as if we're tribaling up against a certain wrestler while ignoring another...

God, think how unbearable threads on this site will be if that becomes a trend.  Fortunately, that sort of thing never happens on the internet.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Yeah, but how many women on the AEW roster can wrestle a long match?  Thunder Rosa, Serena Deeb, Ryo Mizunami, Rhio and.... I think that's it.  Britt Baker is getting there.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Pivotal point you may be missing in this rather generous read on that hypothetical (and uncorroborated) scenario: If Charlotte drops the belt to Bianca on Monday, then by extension Becky has to drop the belt to her on Friday to even things out, which puts Charlotte over her chief political rival and adds another tick to her countdown to equaling her Dad.  At this point, I don’t know why anyone would assume Charlotte is doing anything to benefit someone other than herself.

Or Becky drops the belt to Sasha at CJ instead. Up until this past weekend we heard nothing about Charlotte being this selfish asshole looking out only for herself. Its just a weird fan perception created because many already didn't like her due to WWE's bad booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

I mean, regardless, both acted like children, but one's getting a pass and the other is getting piled on.  I mean, I'm not a fan of either, but let's be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Yeah, but how many women on the AEW roster can wrestle a long match?  Thunder Rosa, Serena Deeb, Ryo Mizunami, Rhio and.... I think that's it.  Britt Baker is getting there.

You forgot Emi Sakura, Jamie Hayter, and Ruby Soho

• Like 2

Just now, Eivion said:

Or Becky drops the belt to Sasha at CJ instead. Up until this past weekend we heard nothing about Charlotte being this selfish asshole looking out only for herself. Its just a weird fan perception created because many already didn't like her due to WWE's bad booking.

Have you not been paying attention for the past year? (I know you have.) There’s a not insignificant amount of evidence that she’s been a malcontent for a while now (some of which has played out on live TV even before this).