DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

28 minutes ago, zendragon said:

its interesting that it seems that the Football to wrestling pipeline has been replaced by a MMA to wrestling pipeline.

It feels different with MMA being semi-born out of wrestling in terms of jumping from other sports. A lot of the fighters jumping would have been wrestlers had the money been as good in the first place as many were wrestling fans. Also seems like more do wrestling in the middle or towards the end of their careers opposed to shifting due to an inability to make a name for themselves in MMA.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I think the other big change is that wrestling has become a full time job now.

It used to be that alot of these guys held day jobs. Especially if they were midcarders.

They were garbage men, dentists, male models, speedway drivers... They ran funeral homes or played in rock bands.

Guys like the Bucks or Seth Rollins have never had to work a real job before. They are the "Instagram Influencers" of wrestling.

How was a guy like Dean Douglas supposed to master a Phoenix Splash from the top of a ladder when he had papers that needed grading?

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 5
  • Haha 13

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

Football players had to take outside jobs or side hustles back in the day. My dad used to play basketball against a team of Packers who would “barnstorm” during the off-season to make money. It helped fuel his hatred of the Packers and make a vow to never step foot in Lambeau field (which he held even when my brother in law bought tickets for me and him to go to game as a birthday present, I had to go with said brother in law instead) also Ray nitschke was a super dirty player whom my dad held in particular contempt 

Nitschke is my dad's all time favourite player.

Years where the Atlanta Braves are playing in the World Series during Halloween Havoc:

1991 (Game 7 vs Havoc 91)

1999 (Game 2 vs Havoc 99)

2021 (Game 1 vs NXT Halloween Havoc)

(Havoc was scheduled for the night of unplayed game 7s in 1992, 1995, and 1996)

So, in the spirit of Havoc being against the World Series.. time to put Bron Breakker in a Chamber of Horrors match while giving Doug Somers and Tom Zenk squash losses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Years where the Atlanta Braves are playing in the World Series during Halloween Havoc:

So, in the spirit of Havoc being against the World Series.. time to put Bron Breakker in a Chamber of Horrors match while giving Doug Somers and Tom Zenk squash losses.

The monster truck battle from 1995 was taped the night the Braves won game 6.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The best was Paul E referencing The WCW Halloween Phantom / Rick Rude watching the Twins beating the Braves during the incredible "WCW Halloween Phantom reveal" promo on Halloween Havoc 91.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

It feels different with MMA being semi-born out of wrestling in terms of jumping from other sports. A lot of the fighters jumping would have been wrestlers had the money been as good in the first place as many were wrestling fans. Also seems like more do wrestling in the middle or towards the end of their careers opposed to shifting due to an inability to make a name for themselves in MMA.

Well, it depends. People like Junior Dos Santos or Paige Van Zant showing up in Pro-Wrestling basically because Dan Lambert's got an angle and they just get to come with him is one thing.

Whereas people like Matt Makowski or Victor Benjamin never made it to the UFC, were somewhere between hot prospect who never made it/ unknown underneath middling fighter and made the jump to pro-wrestling while they were still under 30 (and are now on the indies, not TV).

The NFL to Wrestling pipeline stopped because the money in the NFL is so good now, that even playing a couple of years in the league means you don't really need to wrestle for money (and possibly the fact that they're all College Graduates means that they can get a decent paying non-athletic job afterwards; I think the American Football is a lot more physically damaging now than it was 50 years ago).

• Like 2

You would think, if anyone who played a few years in the NFL was going to give Wrestling a try, it would be James Laurinatis, Animal junior. But if he was, we would have heard about it by now, wouldn't ae?

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

MLS refs are truly awful. We should have been up a man. Would have won that game. 

FUCK.

Nice rock bottom, Melia, you jackass. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

MRSA was the same shit that almost killed CM Punk, right? He got it from a staph infection? 

MRSA is a more or less a staph infection that can't be treated by penicillin. Pains me to say it, but Punk and Rave's MSRA are likely very different circumstances.

Pains me much more to see a talent I remember so fondly from Swanson & Ritner continue to suffer like this.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AxB said:

You would think, if anyone who played a few years in the NFL was going to give Wrestling a try, it would be James Laurinatis, Animal junior. But if he was, we would have heard about it by now, wouldn't ae?

More than a few years. Played 8 seasons in a league that averages 3, plus now he works as a sport broadcaster he really doesn't need wrestling unless he really had and itch for it. 

WWE PPV 2022 Schedule announcement:

For the first time in company history, WWE released their entire pay-per-view schedule for the following year, including dates and locations.

WrestleMania will indeed take place over two nights: Saturday, April 2nd and Sunday, April 3rd at AT&T Stadium in Dallas, Texas. As of September, WWE was still discussing how to approach the weekend events-wise.

While September is without a location, that month's PPV will be held during Labor Day weekend on either Saturday, September 3rd or Sunday, September 4th. That weekend is typically when AEW traditionally holds All Out in Chicago.

Also of note, SummerSlam will not be held in the UK as previously discussed. Instead, it will be heading to Nashville's Nissan Stadium. 

February and October's dates and locations are still TBA. The schedule also doesn't include any Saudi Arabia shows or other international supershow events. It's also missing the names for the non-Big Four in addition to Money in the Bank.

In their release, WWE said the year ahead will set a record for their most stadium events in a year.

• Saturday, January 1: Day 1 at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia
  • Saturday, January 29: Royal Rumble at The Dome at America’s Center in St. Louis, Missouri
  • February: TBA
  • Saturday, April 2 and Sunday, April 3: WrestleMania 38 at AT&T Stadium in Dallas, Texas
  • Sunday, May 8: Pay-Per-View at Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island
  • Sunday, June 5: Pay-Per-View at Allstate Arena in Chicago, Illinois
  • Saturday, July 2: Money In The Bank at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Saturday, July 30: SummerSlam at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee
  • October: TBA
  • Saturday, September 3 or Sunday, September 4: Pay-Per-View at TBD location
  • Saturday, November 26: Survivor Series at TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts

There are no March, August or December dates on the calendar.

Fans can register for pre-sales now.

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

WWE PPV 2022 Schedule announcement:

For the first time in company history, WWE released their entire pay-per-view schedule for the following year, including dates and locations.

February and October's dates and locations are still TBA.

So... you didn't release your entire PPV schedule...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Meltzer says WWE wants to discipline Charlotte for her dustup with Becky after Friday’s show, but is reluctant to because they typically don’t discipline talent for tantrums and bad backstage behavior.  Apparently, Vince doesn’t want to set a precedent he can be called out on later.

I assume he doesn’t want to be out in a position of having to discipline Roman or Drew or whoever the next time they throw a fit over booking and don’t want to do a job.  It reminds me of Orton getting popped for a wellness violation years ago and Dave saying something along the lines of “well, they could have saved him like they is usually do for the top guys, but Paul and Vince don’t like Orton’s attitude, so they’re hoping this teaches him a lesson.”

Now I’m really curious who gets to skate on what backstage.  I imagine the other side of the equation is that they don’t want to alienate Charlotte and push her more towards AEW until they definitely decide releasing her is the way to go.  Dave seems to think that just “giving” her to AElW is a possibility, though it doesn’t seem like we’re at that point yet.

Edited by Eoae
Typos