DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

7 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So rewatching Hunt For Red October (it's that time of year) and Sean Connory and Sam Neill got me thinking; What's the best/worst fake accent in wrestling?

Guys like Kofi and Santino were asked to put on accents for their gimmicks and, for the most part, they were believable.

For those of you that were fans in the 70s and 80s though, are there any memorable standouts for guys with bad accents?

I'd have to imagine with all the "anti American foreigner" gimmicks that would have been going around that someone, somewhere, was totally terrible while also being just good enough to keep a gimmick going.

What is wrestling's "Keanu Reeves in Dracula" accent?

Gotta be Kortsia Korchenko. Or Mark Gullen lol

16 hours ago, Gordberg said:

It's not exactly an answer to your question, but I always got a hug kick out of Krusher Kruschev not even trying to fake a Russian accent. I used to be able to get a laugh by explaining that it was because he's from Soviet Georgia. 

I could be very very wrong, because it has been a long time since I watched the footage, but I thought the story with Kruschev was that he was American? Like, as a fuck you to Kernodle who they just kicked out, they were like "not only are we replacing you with another American, but we got him to adopt a Russian name."

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 minutes ago, elizium said:

I could be very very wrong, because it has been a long time since I watched the footage, but I thought the story with Kruschev was that he was American? Like, as a fuck you to Kernodle who they just kicked out, they were like "not only are we replacing you with another American, but we got him to adopt a Russian name."

Correct. He started as Krusher Darsow in Mid-South, then because Krusher Kruschev when he started tagging with Nikolai Volkoff, claiming that Russian training methods were superior and he wanted to be a superior athlete. He was always supposed to be a turncoat.

16 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He fucking made this all about himself. Prick Flair.   "To be the man you gotta beat off the man"

Did he just give away a Tony Khan girlfriend face reveal?

• Sad 2

55 minutes ago, elizium said:

Yes, he was converted by Nikolai Volkoff in Mid-South. The funny thing is, in Florida, he was the Russian and Jim Neidhart was the sympathizer. 

One of my all-time favorite Apter mag articles is when the reporter went to Thief River Falls, MN to examine his childhood as to why he turned Rusdian.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

My jaw dropped at this knowing what happened to Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose in real life by that POS. Fucking hell, WWE.

Guessing the guy who asked didn't know. The Bump doesn't really feel like a show WWE gives much of a damn about so I doubt they set up that particular question.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

at the risk of referring to something going on over at Twitter... in theory, could wrestling school owners have applied for Covid PPP loans? because would it shock you if that happened

What's going on on Twit---

2OF9.gif

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

My jaw dropped at this knowing what happened to Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose in real life by that POS. Fucking hell, WWE.

When I saw your quote, Twitter was apparently mixing stuff up and had Ric Flair's birthday tweet directed at Tony Khan instead of the video of Sonya talking and I was wondering what Flair did now. I've had this happen before with Twitter, yet this was confusing. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

When I saw your quote, Twitter was apparently mixing stuff up and had Ric Flair's birthday tweet directed at Tony Khan instead of the video of Sonya talking and I was wondering what Flair did now. I've had this happen before with Twitter, yet this was confusing. 

Yeah, it throws you when that happens.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 11:32 AM, Log said:

I think I might have mentioned on here before, but my parents recently dropped off all of my old LJN WWF figures for my son (4).

OH SHIT tell him to be really careful with the Bundy.  Drop that fucker on your foot and you're going to the ER.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:53 PM, Brandon Bones said:

Main Events in any arena in the world.

Or on Eternia!

On 10/7/2021 at 4:09 PM, odessasteps said:

IIRC, Benoit didn’t trust Sullivan as Booker due to the situation with Nancy, so he wanted to leave, being champion or not. 

Also, Mike Graham threatened to stab him and the rest of the Radicals.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:22 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Rocky III > Suburban Commando > Mr. Nanny > No Holds Barred

Sure, but how many of those films list Hogan, McMahon, and Cocaine as co-writers?

On 10/10/2021 at 7:55 AM, zendragon said:

Didn't this kinda come up in the old school questions thread and the answer was Colonel DeBeers?

YES.  Not even trying to do an accent despite being from someplace that definitely has an accent is probably worse than doing a fake one.  I don't think too many Dutch South Africans sound like your Polish uncle from Green Bay.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

To continue mixing threads,, I guess it's better than schools getting loans from Conrad. 

What if the Trump University got loans from Conrad?  WHEN CARNIES COLLIDE!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Also, Mike Graham threatened to stab him and the rest of the Radicals.

I was going to bring up Mike Graham, but I thought it was Mike kinda haphazardly telling Sullivan he (Mike) would kill Benoit if he was in Kevin's shoes for Chris stealing his wife. I didn't hear about him wanting to stab anyone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was going to bring up Mike Graham, but I thought it was Mike kinda haphazardly telling Sullivan he (Mike) would kill Benoit if he was in Kevin's shoes for Chris stealing his wife. I didn't hear about him wanting to stab anyone.

I thought the story was Graham threatened all four with stabbing because they were considering leaving.  

Ah, I Googled it and this is apparently from the Nitro book, which is on my to-read list:

"...Benoit led a band of disgruntled workers in asking for their release. Subsequently, Mike Graham - the son of Sullivan’s mentor, Eddie, and a WCW road agent with deep loyalties to the booker - reportedly pulled a knife on the group before Nitro. As a result, and fearing a lawsuit, Bill Busch agreed to offer complete releases to Benoit, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero and Perry Saturn, and just like that, the heart of WCW’s midcard was gone.”

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I thought the story was Graham threatened all four with stabbing because they were considering leaving.  

Ah, I Googled it and this is apparently from the Nitro book, which is on my to-read list:

Did Mike think he was in West Side Story? The fuck is wrong with him.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just how long did Sullivan book WCW? I thought Bischoff was in control after the NWO started, up until they got Russo. 

I think it was a decent while. I think Sullivan was involved in booking a lot of the NWO stuff as well. I think when Sullivan had some substance abuse issues, he might have had some of his power taken away.

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just how long did Sullivan book WCW? I thought Bischoff was in control after the NWO started, up until they got Russo. 

This was after Russo was put aside the first time and before he returned with Bischoff. And then later, after Russo was gone and before Bischoff came back (sort of), just prior to Vince buying it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Did Mike think he was in West Side Story? The fuck is wrong with him.

I don't think a more severe Napoleon complex has ever infected a man than with Mike Graham. That and his dad telling Dusty that Dusty was his "wrestling son."

• Like 2