DVDVR Message Board

October 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Last quarter of 2021. This month looks to be a quiet one compared to the last with AEW All Out and the debuts of Bryan Danielson/Minoru Suzuki/Ruby Soho/Adam Cole along with CM Punk's first match in 7 years. The 2021 WWE Draft starts tonight on Smackdown. Feels weird there's no Hell in a Cell PLC as it's usually held in October.

Time to douse everything in pink.

We have the G1 and N1 Finals this month. I know the line ups weren't spectacular but all the shows have been fun enough. 

Onita, on the heels of the DSOTR FMW episode, returns to America to wrestle Matt Tremont on Halloween in a no rope barb wire explosion match.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:
Wrestling, be Bret and not Shawn.

i can't agree with this. Wrestling needs both Brets AND Shawns. And Vaders. And Lugers. And all body shapes and all styles and all of everything else too. Variety is the spice of life.

• Like 13

• RIPPA pinned and featured this topic
1 minute ago, twiztor said:

i can't agree with this. Wrestling needs both Brets AND Shawns. And Vaders. And Lugers. And all body shapes and all styles and all of everything else too. Variety is the spice of life.

I meant a choice between Bret or Shawn. You're right, variety of styles in the spice of life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I've always thought Bret Hart was better than Shawn Michaels. Never changed that opinion. Wrestling, be Bret and not Shawn.

I now have visions of Punk living out his "boyhood dream" and dancing down to the ring to the strains of (his re-recorded with his own vocals) "Sexy Boy"

• Haha 1

i watched all of Wrestling Society X over the last couple of weeks. You remember, MTV's short lived wrestling promotion/show? anyway, i have some thoughts:

the first episode was fast, brash, and in your face. i don't mean that in a good way. Lots of stuff happening, but nothing meant anything.  the announcers were very offputting and distracting. none of the musical guest commentators ever added anything resembling worthwhile input.

The first match was Matt Sydal vs. Jack Evans. it was sub-5 minutes with lots of spots. Actually, i don't know if that's completely accurate. More fair to say that it was 5 minutes of spots with a semi-semblance of a wrestling match. I'm not always against spotfests, but this took it to a whole different stratusphere.

The main event was a Royal Rumble style match, but with weapons. Also, there is tables and electrified fencing set up near ringside. Also, somebody brought in thumbtakcs. Also also, once everyone had entered, it turned into a double ladder match, with the two winners facing off next week for the inaugural title. While people are getting thrown into the electrified fencing, there are other big bumps being taken in the ring. The show didn't give you a chance to register what is happening before the next thing is already happening. Anyway, Syxx-Pac and Vampiro win the right to compete next week. 

Vampiro wins the title, has one defense (against Judas Mesias, in his first and only match for the promotion) which he loses. He never gets involved with anyone else in the company, save Syxx-Pac. i guess that's another gripe i have. Everybody was isolated from everybody else. There was no interaction, no real "feuds", nothing to tell you "WHY".

OK, so the first episode pretty much is its own thing. After this, the matches are still spotfests, but not at full speed all the time. Close, but enough so you can actually comprehend what's happening. But after this episode, the crazy stipulations are held back to one (or fewer) per episode. It's still crazy (i'm looking at you, season finale of time bomb cage match AND pirahna tank death match) but more.... subdued isn't the word at all, but i'm going to use it anyway. It's all relative.  Also, episode 1 features Justin Credible, and New Jack, and Chris Hamrick, all guys who it leads you to believe will be part of the promotion. Nope. one shots for all of them. 

the tag team division is a mess. it felt like every team won and lost against every other team. No hierarchy as to who should be in title contention, no feuds (again), and a face/heel dynamic that seemed to shift regularly. Hard to get behind anybody when you don't know when you'll see them again, who they'll be facing, or whether they are supposed to be cheered or not. They tease a tag team title tournament for season 2, but that obviously never comes to fruition.

i enjoyed it as a novelty, but 10 episodes of 20 minutes each were definitely enough.  Interesting how many future AEW wrestlers are here (Scorpio Sky, Jack Evans, Matt Sydal, Colt Cabana as Matt Classic. I half expected to see the Bucks show up at any moment). Next up: Global Force Wrestling (2015)

• Like 5

@twiztorgreat write-up. I actually really enjoyed WSX's presentation style, with the warehouse setting and all - it was like a less-focused Lucha Underground. At the time, I thought maybe it might find some legs as an alternative to the rebooted ECW (though I can't remember - were they actually head to head on Tuesdays?) 

• Thanks 1

The only music guest I recall providing anything on commentary was Sparta talking about watching WCCW, which seemed in stark contrast to what WSX was supposed to be. I guess you could say it walked so Lucha Underground could run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

And if I might add Jun Kasais, and Mecha Mummies, and Orange Cassidys, and the puppets from Firefly Funhouse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@twiztorgreat write-up. I actually really enjoyed WSX's presentation style, with the warehouse setting and all - it was like a less-focused Lucha Underground. At the time, I thought maybe it might find some legs as an alternative to the rebooted ECW (though I can't remember - were they actually head to head on Tuesdays?) 

d'oh!  i meant to say that i really liked the warehouse setting, with the "broken" windows, dirty mat, and scaffold setup. I thought it had a nice visual appeal. good call out.

it was never a viable promotion, nor was it meant to be, but i wouldn't have been surprised if it found an audience on the network and stuck around for a few seasons. It was never going to really catch on with wrestling fans, but again, that's not what they were aiming for. It was fine for what it was, and i enjoyed it, but there's virtually zero chance that it would grow into anything other than "another MTV show"

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

The only music guest I recall providing anything on commentary was Sparta talking about watching WCCW, which seemed in stark contrast to what WSX was supposed to be. I guess you could say it walked so Lucha Underground could run.

yeah, you'd get the occasional guest reference some '80s wrestling (usually WWF) but the host announcers basically ignored it, along with anything else the musicians mentioned.

• Like 1

The WWE Draft rules are different this year, half of the roster will be eligible to be drafted on  WWE SmackDown and the other half will be eligible to be drafted on WWE Raw. Superstars of Raw, Smackdown, NXT will be available. Undrafted Superstars will be free agents who can sign with whatever brand they want.

The official roster changes will take effect on Friday, October 22.