DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/29/2021

It didn't really sink in about it being in Rochester tonight until I got on here this morning.  I can already feel a need to have the tissues ready for tonight.

And oddly enough we went to Chili's last Saturday all so I can get those them baby back ribs ("And motherfucking BBQ sauuuuccceeeee!")  I of course did it for Brodie but didn't realize the timing of it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They’re going to do a 16 man tag match as a tribute to Brodie. OC & The Dark Order Vs. The HFO’s.

it’s up on TK’s Twitter.

Brodie Lee himself took part in at least one 16 man tag match when he was in Chikara.  Matches with that number of participants is usually called a Tornio Cibernetico and has its origins in 1990s CMLL.  

Chikara ran the match as part of their year end blowoff for the angles that precipitated the match’s anouncement every year. The match is USUALLY elimination rules which give the match a bit more structure.

Now that Chikara is no longer with us the 16 man elimination match is still done twice a year in CMLL.  It’s usually in July and September that they run the Leyenda de Plata and Leyenda de Azul in honour of El Santo and Blue Demon, respectfully.

Ring of Honor kinda sorta did something similar to TK’s 16 Man Behemoth of a Match. It went waaaaay too long and really had no structure for what was dubbed the “Mother of all Scramble Matches” back at ROH’s 1st Anniversary Show eighteen years ago.  

The one fall format will probably be a benefit as these matches can go for close to an hour…and then Chikara said “How about we go MORE than hour?” and thusly a trend was formed of longer and longer matches of this size. 

Hopefully Tony K was influenced more by CMLL and Chikara. DOUBLE HOPEFULLY he will have completely forgotten the match from ROH’s 1YA debacle of a calamity of a match that they tried to put on.  

Odds are highly likely that he was thinking about the ROH match from 2003 when he booked tonight’s show.    Maybe he thinks he can right those past wrongs and the match is angle AND action heavy…and oh gawd please finish in less than 30 minutes like the ROH was allowed to run.

• Like 2

That’s going to have to take people like Uno, and Cassidy to push for something like that. But yes, when that was announced it did cross my mind, and to also make it an annual thing for Brodie. The Owen Cup can be a traditional single elimination tournament, and this one would be a cibernetico.

Also CMLL aren’t doing it twice a year anymore… HAHA… CMLL does it way too much because they don’t know how to book feuds anymore.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

57 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ah. I guess that's what I get for not watching the YouTube stuff

Jora Johl aka Robo I’m his earlier matches is sort of doing a gimmick similar to Brandon Cutler’s Elite role.  The difference with Johl is portrayed as a lot more competent as a lackey.  He is also more aware of his crappy situation.  

You can tell that he hates how Hardy treats him.  He puts up with it though out of respect to Matt Hardy’s reputation..  He is totally going to go Batista on Hardy one of these days.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer

Not going to lie, I'm really looking forward to Rhodes to the Top. I really like backstage and behind the scenes stuff. As long as the show is at least 50% that and 50% whatever scripted reality bullshit with Cody and Brandi, then I'll be happy.

• Like 1

Well, if there is one dude I didn't mind see beating Miro, it's Sammy Guevara.  Nice going, champ!   Now can we get a tag belt around Jungle Boy's waist sometime soon?

It warmed my heart to see the widow Huber humble the heelish Dark Order faction and make them all get their shit together.

I think I marked more for the announcement of Shida vs Deeb than I did for any of the matches on the card and this was a stacked fucking card with tons of great matches..

Did Arn Anderson just pull Cody Rhodes's punk card?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6