DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 4

Dolfan in NYC

It should also be noted that the Bears have gone further in their attempt to move than the Cubs did. Noted piece of shit and human garbage Tom Ricketts only would mention property out in Rosemont that could be purchased for the purpose of building a new ballpark. The Bears actually took the step of moving to purchase the land for their stadium.

It's going to happen at some point. Plus, honestly, getting into Soldier Field or the Field Museum or the Shedd Aquarium is a pain in the ass on gamedays. There's like one entry point if you're driving by car since the entire complex is on the lake, the road gets all backed up, traffic around there sucks 365 days a year, and so on. We made the mistake of going to the Field Museum on a gameday and we'll never do that again.

The Fire tried doing a soccer specific stadium out in the burbs and that was a massive failure. Attendance was always shitty and there were even fewer ways to get to Toyota Park/SeatGeek Stadium than there are Soldier Field. And for all the glamour signings that LA Galaxy, NY FC, etc have made, the Fire's international signings haven't set the world on fire, pardon the pun. Their former ownership was pretty crappy too. Hence why they're back at Solider Field, and Bridgeview is still stuck with the bill of a mediocre stadium that's now used primarily for flea markets and Chicago Red Stars. 

@Mister TVYeah, there's no way in the hell the cheap ass McCaskeys are going to pay for anything half as nice as SoFi and JerryWorld built. The Bears will be lucky if a retractable roof stadium is half as decent as Ford Field is. It'll probably be more like the Metrodome or the McBubble practice facility they used to have.

Edited by cubbymark

1 minute ago, cubbymark said:

The Fire tried doing a soccer specific stadium out in the burbs and that was a massive failure. Attendance was always shitty and there were even fewer ways to get to Toyota Park/SeatGeek Stadium than there are Soldier Field.

It's amazing how for years I wanted to go to a Fire game, but was just like "Nah fuck it, that seems like a hassle."

But I'll drive to the Galloping Ghost.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

There's still San Antonio, and now Austin (as the Bills have threatened). Of course, that will happen over the dead bodies/brains preserved as AI operating robots of Jerry Jones and the McNairs.

If Jones and McNair can keep an NFL team out of Austin till I can move the hell out of here (11 1/2 years and counting) then I might actually think positively of them for once.  Or at least slightly less negatively than I do now

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

This is a major factor in where we move when we finally decide to leave the city. So I don't blame the Bears.

I was shocked at how busy they were when we went there a few months ago. There was a long line out the door to get in to the bookstore and it was raining.

But an early Bears game and then a warm bowl of ramen afterwards doesn't sound like a bad way to spend a Sunday. Unless the Bears really suck. They'll probably still be not good.

14 minutes ago, Robert C said:

If Jones and McNair can keep an NFL team out of Austin till I can move the hell out of here (11 1/2 years and counting) then I might actually think positively of them for once.  Or at least slightly less negatively than I do now

Been here since '93 and I too am looking to get out of here. But I don't think the city of Austin will ever approve or vote for a public financed stadium, hell they even held out on getting FC Austin (god I hate that name so much) to pay for their stadium and some transit.

4 hours ago, cubbymark said:

None of these new stadium deals have really provided the economic benefit they claimed they would bring

that's because this is a bold faced lie every time,

4 hours ago, cubbymark said:

and the taxpayer ultimately gets screwed subsidizing stadiums for billionaires. . 

in service of this ultimate goal

• Like 6

case in point:

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

It should be noted that Bears are in a lease to Soldier Field until 2033. It's 84 million if they break it in the next 5 years. Chicago Park District owns Soldier Field and for me the big disappointment is them possibly losing that revenue. Chicago Park District programs are massive for parents in the city.

THIS is what actual "economic benefit to the surrounding community"  looks like.

and look how the ownership class wants to destroy it.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 4

New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner Gayle Benson and team officials revealed the teams' long-term succession plans in detail for the first time on Wednesday, telling The Times-Picayune and WVUE-TV that they would be sold with the goal of keeping the teams in New Orleans and distributing the proceeds to charity.

The arrangement, which has been approved by the NFL, is similar to what happened after Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson died in 2014 and the team was later sold to Terry and Kim Pegula.

Benson, 74, and Saints president Dennis Lauscha, who would serve as the executor of her estate, said the proceeds would be distributed to charities that benefit the people of New Orleans, including the fields of education, health care, arts and sciences and humanitarian causes.

A Saints and Pelicans official confirmed details of the plan to ESPN.

"I can't take it with me," said Benson, who replaced her late husband Tom Benson as owner in 2018 and has no heirs of her own. "God gives us gifts, and this is a gift. I am a steward for this [organization]. And we help other people with it. My wish is to scatter all the good and gifts that God and Tom have given me to this city and community."

According to the report, the decision to distribute proceeds to local charities originated when Tom Benson was still the owner. The issue of long-term succession has been a curiosity ever since Tom revealed in 2015 that he wanted to leave his franchises to Gayle, whom he married in 2004, instead of his daughter and grandchildren. That set off a bitter legal feud over the next two years and ended with a private settlement.

One reason the succession plan has become relevant today is because the Saints are involved in long-term lease-extension talks with the state of Louisiana and the Caesars Superdome, the lease for which runs through 2025.

Lauscha said a lease extension would tie the Saints to New Orleans long term, even if ownership were to change hands, because the NFL has a policy against teams breaching a lease agreement to switch markets. Lauscha also said a favorable lease agreement would make it more attractive for a future owner to want to stay in New Orleans.

"I want to make sure that we keep the teams here," Benson added. "I want them to stay in New Orleans forever."

On 9/29/2021 at 12:06 PM, cubbymark said:

The Fire tried doing a soccer specific stadium out in the burbs and that was a massive failure. Attendance was always shitty and there were even fewer ways to get to Toyota Park/SeatGeek Stadium than there are Soldier Field. And for all the glamour signings that LA Galaxy, NY FC, etc have made, the Fire's international signings haven't set the world on fire, pardon the pun. Their former ownership was pretty crappy too. Hence why they're back at Solider Field, and Bridgeview is still stuck with the bill of a mediocre stadium that's now used primarily for flea markets and Chicago Red Stars. 

@Mister TVYeah, there's no way in the hell the cheap ass McCaskeys are going to pay for anything half as nice as SoFi and JerryWorld built. The Bears will be lucky if a retractable roof stadium is half as decent as Ford Field is. It'll probably be more like the Metrodome or the McBubble practice facility they used to have.

They killed their franchise by firing Peter Wilt (who was miles ahead of the curve on building supporter culture that is today the foundation of all the successful teams) and replacing him with that miserable horses ass John Guppy.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

At this point, the non-NFL cities that would probably be in line to get an NFL team would probably be (roughly in this order):

• Austin/San Antonio
  • Portland, OR
  • Columbus
  • Oklahoma City/Tulsa
  • Salt Lake City
  • Nashville  
  • Then you get to the cities that had a team that failed (SD, STL)
  • At this point, the list gets dire -- Long Island/CT for essentially NYC's 3rd team, Hampton Roads, Boise, Albuquerque, Orlando, and Sacramento, probably

Not to old man this by replying to something way late...but here we are.

Yeah.  No.  Columbus is NEVER getting an NFL team.  There are 4 NFL cities within easy driving distance of Columbus that have shouted down any rumors of a relocate there in the past.

Plus...there is only room for one pro football team in Columbus...and they play on Saturday's.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, EdA said:

Not to old man this by replying to something way late...but here we are.

Yeah.  No.  Columbus is NEVER getting an NFL team.  There are 4 NFL cities within easy driving distance of Columbus that have shouted down any rumors of a relocate there in the past.

Plus...there is only room for one pro football team in Columbus...and they play on Saturday's.

Columbus and Louisville having to bow down to Cleveland and Cincinnati when they are much larger cities is crazy to me.  Columbus has almost 3 times the population of Cleveland and I'm willing to bet that this is news to pretty much the entire United States.  Cleveland is probably the most disrespected city in the country, but when people think of Ohio cities, Cleveland is the first that pops into their mind.  Columbus is a sprawling city that is growing and it might as well be a cow town.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Columbus and Louisville having to bow down to Cleveland and Cincinnati when they are much larger cities is crazy to me.  Columbus has almost 3 times the population of Cleveland and I'm willing to bet that this is news to pretty much the entire United States.  Cleveland is probably the most disrespected city in the country, but when people think of Ohio cities, Cleveland is the first that pops into their mind.  Columbus is a sprawling city that is growing and it might as well be a cow town.  

Oh, no argument about the growth of Columbus.  But Cincy, Cleveland, Indy and Pittsburgh were there first.  They are not going to let some new shop open up and take from a dwindling population base in the midwest.  Columbus was shut down before by Cincy, Cleveland and Pittsburgh when the Colts teased about moving there from Baltimore.  And at some point when the Rams were moving around there was a rumor about them looking at Columbus only to have Indy chime in the chorus.  There's no way those 4 teams are going to let another pop up smack dab in the middle.

And that's sort of the point as well, not only is the population base in the midwest dwindling (Columbus' growth is based pretty much entirely from the flight of people out of NE Ohio but even that growth pales to the Southwest), the economics of the midwest is iffy at best.  Five teams in within a 5 hour drive in the midwest wouldn't make any sense to the league with the midwest having economic downturns due to manufacturing issues.

And Columbus seems to enjoy its cowtown reputation because they really only care about Ohio State.  Which....yeah.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EdA said:

Oh, no argument about the growth of Columbus.  But Cincy, Cleveland, Indy and Pittsburgh were there first.  They are not going to let some new shop open up and take from a dwindling population base in the midwest.  Columbus was shut down before by Cincy, Cleveland and Pittsburgh when the Colts teased about moving there from Baltimore.  And at some point when the Rams were moving around there was a rumor about them looking at Columbus only to have Indy chime in the chorus.  There's no way those 4 teams are going to let another pop up smack dab in the middle.

And that's sort of the point as well, not only is the population base in the midwest dwindling (Columbus' growth is based pretty much entirely from the flight of people out of NE Ohio but even that growth pales to the Southwest), the economics of the midwest is iffy at best.  Five teams in within a 5 hour drive in the midwest wouldn't make any sense to the league with the midwest having economic downturns due to manufacturing issues.

And Columbus seems to enjoy its cowtown reputation because they really only care about Ohio State.  Which....yeah.

Honestly, as big as Columbus is, I don't think they would have enough of a fanbase to support a team. The Browns are Ohio's team.  The Bengals own Cincinnati, but I'd bet they have more fans in Kentucky than they do north of Dayton or as far east as Columbus.  I have family in both Cleveland and Columbus and people in Cleveland kind of take pride in being from Cleveland.  People in Columbus just live in Columbus, there isn't much of a sense of civic pride, which I think you kind of need to have a strong fanbase.  

• Like 2