DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam Pt 2 - 9/24/2021

SirFozzie

There's nothing wrong with someone not liking Kenny Omega, or the Bucks, or anyone else in the Elite, or even Cody. Call me crazy, but I think the difference here is that when someone comments they'd like to see the Young Bucks walk into oncoming traffic versus "I don't like their in-ring style, or characters, or..."

It's kind of fucking disturbing, actually.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I don't see those posts anymore thankfully. Holy shit how is that acceptable? 

Happened just the other day, @Jijicited a specific post ☹️

Cody is great, although some of the booking decisions have been odd and I wish I knew what the hell this was leading to, but I'm along for the ride. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Call me crazy, but I think the difference here is that when someone comments they'd like to see the Young Bucks walk into oncoming traffic 

Only way that comment works if it's to set up a punchline about how they wouldn't sell getting hit by the cars (I think the people who crap on the Bucks are ridiculous but if you are going to do it at least show some wit).

• Haha 1

Well this episode of AEW has the handicap of following the show where I got everything I’ve ever wanted in a wrestling match.  After a childhood full of syndicated squash show matches.  Having a match on regular tv that (for me) is the apex pairing.  It doesn’t get any better than that.  

This episode of Rampage didn’t have a chance to follow that.  Yet still, it was a great episode.

I’m going to shout whomever pointed out the plot hole of nobody coming out to save Jericho and Jake.  Exasperated by the fact they’re all wearing support vests AND there are two segments after the beat down of other Inner Circle members coming out all happy and jovial.  Like nothing even happened to their crew.  Sammi and Santana and Ortiz come out later and I’m like: “Where the fuck were these dickheads?”

Really?

Don’t get me wrong.  The Sammi segment got more focus on next weeks match.  The 8 man tag quietly planted the seed for a P&P vs Lucha Bros tag title match.  It got its work done.  It’s just a block that doesn’t fit with the other LEGOs.  Maybe re-edit the show and put the Jericho match later in the show?  

Had an eye opening moment seeing Hager do the job.  That doesn’t happen every day.  TK has a lot of credit to spend when choosing someone to lay down.

Punk vs Hobbs and HOOK was all the good.

The 6 Man tag revealed that maybe it’s understood.  Luchasaurus isn’t going to be protected as much as your typical “big guy/giant” on a typical team or faction.  Being that he does the job again here.  

The double goozle choke slam was fire.  

I like the idea of the Mark Henry pre-Main Event dual interview.  But they aren’t getting any better.  Maybe they’ll get it there.

I love you AEW.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So true on the Inner CIrcle abondoning Jericho and Hager.  I hadn't thought about it.  I was watching bemused at how weak and strange most of the MMA group attack looked.  I was pleased to see Miro beat the shit out of Sammy for interrupting the show with his lame cards.  Sammy had no business flipping those cards without the picture in picture running.  Thank you Miro!

Also, I really wish they'd call a moratorium on those flimsy garbage cans.  I'm a Kingston fan, but having him wail on the can with a kendo stick when clearly nothing is close to striking Archer was a dumb finish.  Everything with those sparkling clean flimsy garbage cans is stoopid.  Please stop AEW.  Please.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 hours ago, Casey said:

There's nothing wrong with someone not liking Kenny Omega, or the Bucks, or anyone else in the Elite, or even Cody. Call me crazy, but I think the difference here is that when someone comments they'd like to see the Young Bucks walk into oncoming traffic versus "I don't like their in-ring style, or characters, or..."

It's kind of fucking disturbing, actually.

Yikesaroni, that's beyond gross.

I never get why people go to that level. The best thing in the world folks can learn is the mindset of "it's not for me, and that's okay".

What is with these surprise debuts (Homicide) and saves (Conti) being set-up with music and khan-trons?  So, Kingston and Moxley knew they'd be in trouble at some point with Suzuki-Gun and had the AEW editing department get a video ready for Homicide?  And also the production crew got his music ready?  And who relayed to them that Homicide was coming thru the crowd?  I guess Kingston did allude to his buddy in the promo, but seems like AEW is missing the point of these saves/debuts being spontaneous.     

• Like 1

I don't really understand legitimately hating wrestlers for their in-ring work. I have a bunch of wrestlers I give no two shits about, but even then I hardly ever even skip or fast forward their matches, I just go do something else while they are on.

I don't even have the time to hate wrestlers for their transgressions outside the ring but I will likely pay even less attention to their work then.

There's so much good stuff out there still, that literally hating somebody's matches so much that you wish them harm, is indeed kinda backwards. You will save time for the stuff you actually like by NOT watching what you don't like. Unless you like watching stuff you hate, which is , of course also your prerogative. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Superkliq with Brandon Cutler as their lackey is really just the best stuff, and I'm by no means a huge Adam Cole fan. But he's been largely inoffensive for me in AEW so far. With his position on the card here, since he's not their top guy, I don't think he's going to be having 30+ minute matches with anyone like he always did on Takeover shows (thank god). For my Adam Cole preferences, he's best in 10-15 minute TV matches.

But, holy fuck, if we do happen to get Kevin Steen in AEW... I'm gonna need the Superkliq to turn on Kenny Omega and adopt Steen as their leader. There's a match I never knew I wanted, actually: Steen vs Omega. I know it happened in PWG, but that was twelve years ago. They're both very, very different now.

You know what? This post gave me a lightbulb moment. I will reserve further judgement on Adam Cole until he has some AEW matches under his belt. I found his work to be incredibly pretentious in nxt, but I wonder how much of that was environment...

48 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What is with these surprise debuts (Homicide) and saves (Conti) being set-up with music and khan-trons?  So, Kingston and Moxley knew they'd be in trouble at some point with Suzuki-Gun and had the AEW editing department get a video ready for Homicide?  And also the production crew got his music ready?  And who relayed to them that Homicide was coming thru the crowd?  I guess Kingston did allude to his buddy in the promo, but seems like AEW is missing the point of these saves/debuts being spontaneous.     

Bro, c'mon, it's pro wrestling. Even as a WWE complaint, it's fuckin' silly.

• Like 3

Slagging on Cole and the Bucks for being ‘too small to be believable’ is such a toxic take. It’s WWE-derangement thinking that has led to decades of talented people having their careers fucked with and leads to Diesel vs Mabel main events.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

Bro, c'mon, it's pro wrestling. Even as a WWE complaint, it's fuckin' silly.

Even with wrestling logic, history has shown that music distracts the opponents enough that playing music is a good thing. However, when people take their sweet time getting to the ring to save their friend, that pisses me off. Granted that ramp might have been slippery since it was plexiglass over LED boards.

43 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Slagging on Cole and the Bucks for being ‘too small to be believable’ is such a toxic take. It’s WWE-derangement thinking that has led to decades of talented people having their careers fucked with and leads to Diesel vs Mabel main events.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the guy saying it hasn't breathed a word about Orange Cassidy.

51 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I don't have a problem with them being small. I have a problem with them working a style that runs completely counterintuitive to their size. Bryan Danielson might be my favorite wrestler of all time, and he's not any bigger than Cole. The difference is he has the self awareness not to project like he thinks he's Scott Norton. 

Oh, and I like Orange Cassidy.

Edited by just drew

26 minutes ago, just drew said:

I don't have a problem with them being small. I have a problem with them working a style that runs completely counterintuitive to their size. Bryan Danielson might be my favorite wrestler of all time, and he's not any bigger than Cole. The difference is he has the self awareness not to project like he thinks he's Scott Norton. 

Oh, and I like Orange Cassidy.

Like I always say, I respect everyone’s opinion but working fast and kicking people in the fucking face a lot is a pretty effective style for their size. They’re not working bear hugs like the Twin Towers so I’m not entirely clear to that point.

Also, this has to be the first Adam Cole and Scott Norton comparison. I mean, Cole’s finisher is him running and kneeing someone in the back of the head. Also seems like an effective in-ring strategy. 

• Like 2

Think about how the wrestling landscape has changed in the last twenty years, that Christian f'n Cage is the "big guy" in a big guy vs little guy scenario.

I'm not too bothered by the Homicide save having music/tron, since he already had an out-of-AEW match against Suzuki booked so it was understandable that he might be there to back up his friend. I am bothered, however, by how Eddie Kingston has so many friends. Now THAT'S not believable. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Think about how the wrestling landscape has changed in the last twenty years, that Christian f'n Cage is the "big guy" in a big guy vs little guy scenario.

No kidding! I was gonna point that out, too. It’s why so many of these arguments just fall apart. Like when Corny talks about how the Young Bucks look like they can’t win a real fight as if Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis looked like the fucking Bruiser and Crusher rolling into a bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Like when Corny talks about how the Young Bucks look like they can’t win a real fight as if Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis looked like the fucking Bruiser and Crusher rolling into a bar.

Exactly, it’s pro wrestling. Everyone in every major promotion is a badass because the average untrained person would be bedridden for days from a single bump and they know it. Wrestlers can do incredible things with and to their bodies and that’s enough for fans to buy in.  The world saw Punk get his ear punched off his head in a shoot fight, but there’s no one on the roster that fans would blink twice at him beating, even if they’re legit like a Swagger or Sky. It’s antiquated thinking even by Corny’s standards. 

• Like 2