DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam Pt 2 - 9/24/2021

SirFozzie

Punk vs Hobbs was good stuff. Went longer than I was expecting and both guys looked good. Punk sold really well and gave Hobbs a lot before putting him away.

Christian and JB looked good but otherwise that 6-man was pretty rough going. The Adam Cole vs Luchasaurus stuff was by far the worst wrestling over the 2 shows, just real stinko. Think I'll be skipping the Superkliq stuff going forward.

Inner Circle vs MOTY was obviously whatever, just there to set up the angle afterwards. As long as this leads to some of these ATT guys getting in the ring, I am into it. Jericho is a weird fit for this feud, but whatever. If we get Masvidal in a match, even a tag, this could be very cool.

8-man was a decent spotfest. Not everything hit flush or looked good, but they kept it moving and it didn't go too long. Is there a reason why Jack Evans doesn't get featured much these days? Broken down? Just focusing on the younger talent?

Miro wrecking Fuego is becoming one of my favourite regular skits

Main event was fine, nothing special. Homicide bit was certainly unexpected. Bit weird to have make the save in a fair fight, but hearing him get big chants put a smile on my face. Kingston going ape for the finish was easily the best part.

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Homicide showed up.  I thought that brother was in VU?   I need to watch more Ring of Honor.

Like none of VU is signed to ROH. A good portion of the ROH roster isn’t signed exclusive to ROH. Just handshake deals at this point.

Has anybody else noticed that the HFO’s are Paul Jones Army, and Orange Cassidy is “The Boogey Woogey Man” Jimmy Valiant in this feud? Is Wheeler Yuta gonna turn on Orange after OC calls him “The best independent athlete in professional wrestling”?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, just drew said:

Ive decided another long diatribe about why the young bucks are awful is just going to be unproductive. At this point, you either know they suck or you aren’t ready to be honest with yourself. It is remarkable what adam Cole has been able to achieve with that Paul Orndorff arm atrophy effecting him everywhere below his Adam’s apple. He looks like an nba jam player.

Just put the Bucks on ignore. That's what I did.

• Like 1

Punk vs Hobbs was a really well worked match, now I've had the chance to see it (Fite was being a bastard last night). Hobbs pacing has improved so much in the last year, and  Punk being the one guy who still calls it in the ring actively helps his match quality.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Has anybody else noticed that the HFO’s are Paul Jones Army, and Orange Cassidy is “The Boogey Woogey Man” Jimmy Valiant in this feud? Is Wheeler Yuta gonna turn on Orange after OC calls him “The best independent athlete in professional wrestling”?

Orange Cassidy is not nearly animated enough to be the Boogey Woogey Man, but I could see Wheeler Yuta turning heel and joining HFO if / when Trent Barretta ever returns.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Orange Cassidy is not nearly animated enough to be the Boogey Woogey Man, but I could see Wheeler Yuta turning heel and joining HFO if / when Trent Barretta ever returns.

Yeah, the Yuta heel turn practically writes itself. I hope it happens sooner than later so we can get Danielson vs. Yuta on Dark or Elevation. I am fine with OC being Boogie Woogie in this scenario, so long as I don't tune into BTE and see any glass coffee tables. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, killsteve said:

Punk vs Hobbs was good stuff. Went longer than I was expecting and both guys looked good. Punk sold really well and gave Hobbs a lot before putting him away.

Christian and JB looked good but otherwise that 6-man was pretty rough going. The Adam Cole vs Luchasaurus stuff was by far the worst wrestling over the 2 shows, just real stinko. Think I'll be skipping the Superkliq stuff going forward.

Inner Circle vs MOTY was obviously whatever, just there to set up the angle afterwards. As long as this leads to some of these ATT guys getting in the ring, I am into it. Jericho is a weird fit for this feud, but whatever. If we get Masvidal in a match, even a tag, this could be very cool.

8-man was a decent spotfest. Not everything hit flush or looked good, but they kept it moving and it didn't go too long. Is there a reason why Jack Evans doesn't get featured much these days? Broken down? Just focusing on the younger talent?

Miro wrecking Fuego is becoming one of my favourite regular skits

Main event was fine, nothing special. Homicide bit was certainly unexpected. Bit weird to have make the save in a fair fight, but hearing him get big chants put a smile on my face. Kingston going ape for the finish was easily the best part.

Evans is broken down at this point.  He's also been underwhelming in ring.   Shame because I've always liked him, and he's been pretty good to his fans.

I think it's hurt Angelico as well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Like none of VU is signed to ROH. A good portion of the ROH roster isn’t signed exclusive to ROH. Just handshake deals at this point.

Yep.  I was watching the CWFA stream and Chris Dickinson is working Mike Bennett next weekend on a UWN PPV card.

Edited by J.T.

The Bucks/Cole kiss on the cheek spot was beautiful comedy.  And even moreso beautiful for the way it surely enraged the humorless contingency on DVDVR that feel the need to make it known weekly that they hate said fantastic pro wrestlers Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson and Adam Cole.    

• Like 15

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The Bucks/Cole kiss on the cheek spot was beautiful comedy.  And even moreso beautiful for the way it surely enraged the humorless contingency on DVDVR that feel the need to make it known weekly that they hate said fantastic pro wrestlers Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson and Adam Cole.    

See that thing you did where you said "fantastic pro wrestlers" and then said "Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson and Adam Cole?" Those two phrases should only be in the same sentence if the sentence is; "Damn, AEW has some fantastic pro wrestlers. They also have Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, and Adam Cole."

And I'm not humorless. I love silly shit. I'm just unable to employ the level of suspension of disbelief required to be okay with the Young Bucks and Adam Cole exchanging strikes with actual grown men like Christian Cage and Luchasaurus. This isn't a new phenomenon for me. I hated it (and posted as much) when Adam Cole stood toe to toe with WALTER in that "When Worlds Collide" 8 man in which he was clearly the least believable participant. But other than the cheek kissing spot, I didn't hate the 6 man, other than the Bucks continuing to choose to neglect selling any of their opponents offense so as to get into position for their next convoluted spot. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, punkenhead said:

Yeah, the Yuta heel turn practically writes itself. I hope it happens sooner than later so we can get Danielson vs. Yuta on Dark or Elevation. I am fine with OC being Boogie Woogie in this scenario, so long as I don't tune into BTE and see any glass coffee tables. 

I am eagerly awaiting OC's lazy take on a Charlie Brown From Outta Town alias where he dresses exactly the same and just like, has a mask on underneath the sunglasses, or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm a big Wheeler Yuta fan. Sometimes I really enjoy when I've never heard of a guy and he shows up on AEW youtube stuff and just starts working his ass off. Yuta drew me in almost immediately. Same with Daniel Garcia, Shawn Dean and Will Hobbs.