DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

The arena and set looked awesome, I love when we don’t have screens everywhere, the stage looks much more badass.

“IVE GOT TILL FIVE!”

Give Bryan half an hour and you get a MOTY and AEW’s best singles match ever. This was so good and still felt like they had so much left in the tank. They didn’t go into crazy near fall third act mode and I liked that we didn’t have a silly finish right as clock counted down or something, it felt like they could have gone another 15min. This was awesome and I can’t wait for the eventual rematch with a proper winner.

I like how Black’s eye seems to get more infected/EVIL as each week goes by. LMAO and felt bad at Arn slipping in the corner, poor guy. Fuck off Cody and Brandi, I’m happy the crowd was shitting on Cody.

It’s fun seeing Sting wrestle and all the matches have been good, but he gets the win in every tag match and has now EASILY gone over Starks, Scorpio Sky, both 2.0 guys and now made Dax submit? I’d be OK if it was Darby getting the decisions, but there’s no way Sting should be defeating all of these guys, it’s too much.

Main was good but the result was never in doubt. Just like Hangman and Kenny, I think no one is taking that title from Britt but Thunder Rosa. Both looked great tho and Ruby takes some bumps with a very satisfying SNAP.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

Assorted comments:

Danielson taking a dragon suplex on that ramp was batshit crazy

Pillman Jr almost looked like he was moving in slow motion for parts of his match with MJF. Maybe it was optical considering it was the first match after the great Danielson/Omega match. But stuff like starting the match with a takedown/pound just didn't seem like it worked and his punches kinda sucked there. The cheerleader dropping her pom poms in disapproval was great too.

Boy do they like having faces tap to submission holds.

FTR was probably living the dream working with Sting like that. Good work by Darby Allin and his dad.

Jake Hager looks like he's a prospect for a motorcycle club wearing a vest and t-shirt like that

So the fans don't like Cody Knievel as much as Malakai Black?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is the loudest crowd I've ever been a part of by, like, double.

More will be written about Danielson/Omega but I have to give them a lot of credit for not telegraphing the draw too much live.

Cody's Totally Not a Heel Evil Knieval Bridal Train had the crowd stunned.

Every act is over. This shit is crazy. Did Ruby gas really hard, or something? Whatever, shit's magical + only half done, God help us.

• Like 6

Quick Thoughts:

Bryan Danielson is still the best wrestler alive and his selling means everyone else on the roster needs to step the fuck up. I love timelimit draws. And I'm glad AEW uses them. I don't feel cheated and I want to see more.

Punk promo started shakey but he effectively bridged the gap from just a happy guy to a happy guy with a character motication. "Don't lose this feeling or it'll get ugly."

Decent match with MJF and Pillman Jr. Pillman feels like his ceiling is a Hacksaw Jim Duggan/ Junkyard Dog Midcard dude right now. I don't mean that as a slight.

Cody is great. Fuck the haters. I love that he got booed and they didn't act like it wasn't happening, and it bothered him to the point that it became the reason why he'd get countered. 

"Cofflin Flop on Corncob TV", solid signage. 

Hated the apron Coffin Drop, looked like it fuck up the dude's neck. I'm cool with dangerous shit, but I feel like there should be away that at least one guy should be able to protect the other. No one could get protected in that spot and it looked like they both ate shit for it.

Liked Brit/Ruby. I kinda wish this wasn't Ruby's first gig and she was able to build herself and her character against a different heel, but I don't know that would be. I do love these two together. Brit is too good at finding the camera and killing it.

Solid show.

• Like 5