DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF - WEEK THREE

hammerva

I'm a *lot* more concerned with a 20 year old thinking he's ready to spend the rest of his life with a person he met in his dorm 18 months ago.  

Anyway, week 3.  

Nebraska and Oklahoma play in a game that would have been incredible if it was still 1994. 

Purdue plays Notre Dame in a game that is clearly the B1G sending out a jobber against a traveling champion in a bid to get him to sign long term.

And of course, Bama plays Florida in a game with a 56 1/2 Over/Under...   for new Covid cases in Gainesville the following week. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm a *lot* more concerned with a 20 year old thinking he's ready to spend the rest of his life with a person he met in his dorm 18 months ago.  

I feel the same way.  Then again, I married a girl I met in college, my brother married his high school girlfriend, my daughter married the student who showed her around campus during freshmen orientation, etc.  So what do I know?

I do question the wisdom of getting married before Covid is under control.  Really uncertain what the future looks like or if we even have futures.

Anyway, my alma mater is a two-point favorite against ranked Va Tech this week. That's surprising.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Nebraska and Oklahoma play in a game that would have been incredible if it was still 1994. 

Oklahoma was lousy in the 90s.  They were mediocre at best till Stoops came around.  Good game in the mid to late 80s, though.

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Texas has made a change at QB

Casey Thompson is the new starting QB

No surprise there.  I'm curious how good Thompson actually is.  Still remember Garrett Gilbert having a good game vs. Alabama in his first real action, then turning back into Garrett Gilbert for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

Notre Dame dropped from 8 or 9 to 12 after a win. Honestly, the drop wasn't enough. I'd have put them at 20.

They're totally losing to Purdue on Saturday. Not a reverse jinx either. This team's defense looks fucking terrible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well CBS Sports says it is Luke Fickell's job to turn down with "Bob Stoops waiting in the wings"

I was just saying last off-season I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more in the conversation for a top job. (And that I wouldn't mind Michigan taking a look at him if Harbaugh were to leave) but I suspected him more for a Midwest job.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well CBS Sports says it is Luke Fickell's job to turn down with "Bob Stoops waiting in the wings"

Is it too early for Urban to fake a "health issue" to get the USC gig?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see it being Sark or Kiffin to USC. It just seems like an uncomfortable retread for all parties involved. Kiffin has proven he's a better coach now than his last stint there. Also, I don't think we can judge anything on Year 1 of Sark in Austin. It's going to take at least two full recruiting classes to get him where he wants to be. It'll be ugly if either of those two recruiting classes fall out of the top ten nationally (and probably need to be top 5).

Rumors of Sun Belt Conference expansion on the horizon. Southern Miss, Marshall and Old Dominion coming from C-USA, and James Madison jumping up from FBS. Between this and the AAC looking at taking some C-USA members, there might not be much left.

I think it would be a really smart idea by the Sun Belt to pursue expansion. As the Big 12 learned the hard way, it’s generally better to be proactive than reactive amid the shifting tides of college football. Plus, you have to know that the AAC is wounded and is going to be sniffing around for new members, and there are some prime targets in the Sun Belt. They need to fortify themselves. And, really, if you look at the Sun Belt and the AAC-minus-UCF/UH/CU...there’s really not much difference between the two anymore. Sun Belt has a great opportunity to basically cut in line ahead of the AAC as the “best of the rest” conference.

Marshall is a no-brainer choice as an add for either conference. Not so sure that Old Dominion, James Madison, or *single teardrop* Southern Miss are going to get them where they want to be, though.

The Sun Belt put out a really weird statement a week or two ago that definitely read like they were prepared to lose their top members and that they (the Sun Belt) already had replacements

EDIT

Okay - re-reading the story, it looks more like it was ESPN's shitty reporting that was saying that and not the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt clearly wants to start poaching schools themselves

Sun Belt Conference commissioner Keith Gill issued a statement Friday bolstering his league's position.

"The Sun Belt Conference could not have positioned itself better for this moment as the landscape shifts across conferences," he said. "We have never been stronger. The Sun Belt is the best non-autonomy FBS conference in the country. We were the only non A5 conference with two teams ranked in both preseason polls. We finished last year with two teams ranked in the final CFP and we've led FBS in postseason winning percentage the last five years.

"I spoke to our conference CEOs and ADs earlier today about the current realignment in a few FBS conferences and how it puts us in a more advantageous position for our programs to thrive," Gill said. "Throughout this process, if we identify a school that adds value to the Sun Belt, we'll certainly consider them for membership. We feel very good about the quality of our schools, we take pride in who we are, and will continue to build our programs and our great conference."

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I think it would be a really smart idea by the Sun Belt to pursue expansion. As the Big 12 learned the hard way, it’s generally better to be proactive than reactive amid the shifting tides of college football. Plus, you have to know that the AAC is wounded and is going to be sniffing around for new members, and there are some prime targets in the Sun Belt. They need to fortify themselves. And, really, if you look at the Sun Belt and the AAC-minus-UCF/UH/CU...there’s really not much difference between the two anymore. Sun Belt has a great opportunity to basically cut in line ahead of the AAC as the “best of the rest” conference.

Marshall is a no-brainer choice as an add for either conference. Not so sure that Old Dominion, James Madison, or *single teardrop* Southern Miss are going to get them where they want to be, though.

I just hope Troy comes out stronger than this. It's the only Fun Belt team I care about being that I'm an alumni.