DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF - WEEK TWO

RIPPA

I think Miami will be okay this year. There are like 5 teams in the country who can hang with Bama right now, so I wouldn’t judge them too harshly on last week’s outcome. I thought they played a little better as the game went on.

And the ACC Coastal is WIDE open. They can still get to Charlotte.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I guess @Dolfan in NYC is too busy for the rankings this week.

Kansas at Coastal Carolina is probably Friday's "big" matchup

By the way if you want to know how bad things are for Kansas, they are a 25 point underdog to Coastal Carolina.  I would love to know last time Coastal Carolina has been a 25 point favorite against any Division 1 much less a supposed power conference

Most intriguing games this weekend look like the following:

Oregon at Ohio State

Iowa at Iowa State

Mizzou at Kentucky (Could easily determine who finishes second in the East this year or maybe even first if the JT Daniels injury is serious). 

Texas at Arkansas

Liberty at Troy

Utah at BYU

Stanford at USC

My alma mater is playing Long Island University this weekend.  I think the plan is to get us ready for life without big time college ball (aka life in the Big 12 after Texas and Okla. leave).

I'm legit curious to see what the crowd is like.  I have a feeling Covid will have less of an impact than a meh performance against Maryland last week and general fan hostility towards the current coach, who made a lot of big promises but is 12-11 in his first two+ seasons with one conference road win.  Next two opponents are Va Tech and Oklahoma in Norman, so 1-3 start seems possible.  

Current coach has had three starting qb's in two years who should have been able to play in Div. 1 (one started at Bowling Green before transferring here and put up great numbers, another was Austin Kendall, who was originally recruited to Oklahoma) and none have looked good or progressed, so fans are irate.

11 minutes ago, Eoae said:

My alma mater is playing Long Island University this weekend.  I think the plan is to get us ready for life without big time college ball (aka life in the Big 12 after Texas and Okla. leave).

I'm legit curious to see what the crowd is like.  I have a feeling Covid will have less of an impact than a meh performance against Maryland last week and general fan hostility towards the current coach, who made a lot of big promises but is 12-11 in his first two+ seasons with one conference road win.  Next two opponents are Va Tech and Oklahoma in Norman, so 1-3 start seems possible.  

Current coach has had three starting qb's in two years who should have been able to play in Div. 1 (one started at Bowling Green before transferring here and put up great numbers, another was Austin Kendall, who was originally recruited to Oklahoma) and none have looked good or progressed, so fans are irate.

I think the world of Neal Brown as a football coach. I've been frustrated that it hasn't quite clicked up there. I low key root for WVU because I want him to do well as someone with some investment into Troy University football. 

Alright, I'm a devout Syracuse fan and despite the fact that we suck pretty much every year, true Freshman CB Deuce Chestnut and Freshman RB Sean Tucker have given me a little bit of hope this year. Granted, Tommy DeVito still can't seem to throw the ball worth a damn but we got some transfer QB from Mississippi St by the name of Garrett Shrader. No idea just how good he is, but I'm thinking we find out since Cuse plays a tough Rutgers team this week. 

Utah vs. BYU and App St. vs. Miami are my two sneaky good games this week. D'Eriq King's career post Houston hasn't exactly been anything spectacular and a loss here to Appalachian St may just kill the U's entire season.

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think the world of Neal Brown as a football coach. I've been frustrated that it hasn't quite clicked up there. I low key root for WVU because I want him to do well as someone with some investment into Troy University football. 

I don't know him, but I know people who know him and everything I've heard about him indicates he's a great guy.  Family man, stands up for his players, recruits players who stay out of trouble, honest, likable, etc.  Most of the alumni loved him from day one.  Problem is, so far he hasn't won football games or recruited the sort of players who generate excitement.  

I'm hoping he turns things around, but I'm not hopeful.  There's not a lot of excitement around the program right now.  People didn't like Dana Holgerson (previous coach), but Dana brought future NFL'ers to town and won just enough to convince the fanbase that a BCS playoff berth was within reach.  Right now, there's not even a lot of talk about Brown being able to improve the team.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Most intriguing games this weekend look like the following:

Oregon at Ohio State

Iowa at Iowa State

Mizzou at Kentucky (Could easily determine who finishes second in the East this year or maybe even first if the JT Daniels injury is serious). 

Texas at Arkansas

Liberty at Troy

Utah at BYU

Stanford at USC

I've been forced to discuss Texas at Arkansas with my co-workers cause the game is happening here. I don't like that.

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

I don't know him, but I know people who know him and everything I've heard about him indicates he's a great guy.  Family man, stands up for his players, recruits players who stay out of trouble, honest, likable, etc.  Most of the alumni loved him from day one.  Problem is, so far he hasn't won football games or recruited the sort of players who generate excitement.  

I'm hoping he turns things around, but I'm not hopeful.  There's not a lot of excitement around the program right now.  People didn't like Dana Holgerson (previous coach), but Dana brought future NFL'ers to town and won just enough to convince the fanbase that a BCS playoff berth was within reach.  Right now, there's not even a lot of talk about Brown being able to improve the team.

The biggest problems that I have with Dana is that he seems to not give two shits about defense and the teams severely suffered because of it.    The other problem is that created an atmosphere that a bowl game and even some regular season games doesn't mean anything if the BCS playoffs are out of reach.  Those last 2 bowl games not only had players playing very half assed.  If Dana coached the Liberty Bowl he would have let Army run all over them because fuck it the game was before Christmas.   Also personally  I am never going to forget Dana being the coach of the team that allowed Kansas to break like a 25 game Big 12 losing streak in a blowout 

I think Brown has recruited or got transfers the right kind of players except for the most important position and that is QB.  He has been bad at that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

I think Brown has recruited or got transfers the right kind of players except for the most important position and that is QB.  He has been bad at that.

You have to worry about the ability to recruit in the new BIG 12 anyways. Oklahoma and Texas will either be SEC bound next season or the following season. I've never understood that move for them to that conference.

Speaking of the "new" Big 12 - they officially accepted the 4 new schools today

Texas and Oklahoma did not take part in the vote

BYU will definitely join for the 2023-2024 season (They can't join sooner due to the non-football sports still having obligations to the WCC)

The other three schools will join "no later" than July 1, 2024

The Big 12 just needed Dana Holgorsen back. Not a bad collection of teams, but if you're losing big guns like Texas and Oklahoma - does it even matter? Feels like college basketballs Big East after Syracuse, West Virginia, Louisville, Pittsburgh, ect left. Time will tell, but I will try and be optimistic about it.

In terms of sad attempts to hold their union together, I think this was about as good of a haul as the Big 12 could’ve hoped for. However, this new configuration is no longer a power conference, and I don’t think it will dissuade any of its members from listening to, or making, overtures to other conferences.

Essentially, the new Big 12 will be what the AAC is now (tier beneath P5), and the AAC is in deep shit. If I was Memphis I’d be big sad, too. And if you’re Temple, you really have to be asking yourself what the fuck you’re even doing there anymore. Being apart of that conference doesn’t really make any sense for Navy anymore either.

Look for the AAC to go headhunting in the Sun Belt and reconfigure itself as a primarily Southern conference.

• Like 1

Kerry Coombs announcing his retirement this week, for sure.

I mean, I would’ve let him go after he decided to say in 4-3 and play man against Bama last year, but at least you could say that Bama torched everybody last year. Oregon had to come from behind in the 4th to beat FRESNO at home last week.