DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, A_K said:

if anything they’ve variously leaned too far into being politically/socially correct.

I’m sure I’ll regret this, but please pretty please go ahead and put your foot in your ignorant-ass mouth and enumerate maybe 5-10 “politically correct” things AEW has done.  Bonus points if you can articulately explain why you feel any of these things should not have been done.    

I try to be patient but this dog whistle shit is maddening.  You can’t just drop some bullshit like that and not back it up.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I hear MJF is actually responsible for a lot of North East guys getting signed.

Yeah Khan talked about this recently on Busted Open for the lead up to All Out. Khan credited Bear Country, Kris Statlander, Max Caster, Anthony Bowens, and Leyla Hirsch with being recommended by MJF.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I’m sure I’ll regret this, but please pretty please go ahead and put your foot in your ignorant-ass mouth and enumerate maybe 5-10 “politically correct” things AEW has done.  Bonus points if you can articulately explain why you feel any of these things should not have been done.    

I try to be patient but this dog whistle shit is maddening.  You can’t just drop some bullshit like that and not back it up.  

Not A_K, but as the father of a girl who has a sensory processing disorder that she has mostly grown out of, I think it's fantastic that AEW partnered with Kulture City on day 1 so that all fans, regardless of challenges, could enjoy their shows. To my knowledge, that is still the case today. As a point of comparison, my wife took my daughter to a Taylor Swift stadium concert before all of the pandemic shit happened, maybe 2019 or 2018. We knew sound would be an issue. Taylor Swift is HUGE and there is literally no reason to add extra cost for anyone attending to enjoy the show the same way anyone else without a sensitivity would. And yet, you had to have extra passes or whatever the fuck for that shit. Thankfully my wife brought earplugs anyway. The Kulture City stuff goes beyond that though and has actual sensory rooms setup to give people a chance to reset.

Then you have the fact that AEW has been an open door to anyone LGBTQ. They didn't have to do the weird Stephanie thing by touting someone was gay or whatever. They just let people like Nyla, Sonny, Bowens and others be themselves without overpromoting it. They're just human beings like everyone else. Plus, Nyla Rose, a trans athlete, was one of their first champions and a perennial threat to the champion.

I'll also give AEW points for paying way more people than they needed to pay during the pandemic. They gave a ton of people, regardless of color or background, time to perform, earn money, and season themselves when there was no where else to turn to. Suge D got promoted by Jericho, paydays from AEW, and can parlay that to even bigger paydays now. 

I fully understand the issue of there being a lack of diversity at the top. It is hard to ignore though that one of the first tag champions was black, the current tag champions are Hispanic, Sammy is Cuban and easily going to be a big part of AEW's future, Nyla is indigenous and trans, Shida and Riho were both champions and both are both foreign, Dante Martin is constantly featured as an exciting act, Jade Cargill is getting a slow Brock Lesnar push, and Thunder Rosa is one of the cornerstones of the women's division. I think in time you're going to get more diversity at the top of the card and the company has a lot of irons in the fire, but no one on the level of Bobby Lashley, Kofi, or Big E at the moment. Again, I fully understand that is frustrating. It's also not like there isn't any movement here.

Now, as far as commentary goes, yeah, JR thoughtlessly references shit that is gauche. I don't think any of that is done with malicious intent. I normally can tune him out, but I'll admit that whenever there's a brainbuster, someone could fucking reference Koko B. Ware one fucking time instead of two klansmen. 

And ALL of these things and more should be done. I can't think of a single "good for the people" thing in the name of PC that shouldn't be done. People thought whatever punishment Max Caster received was harsh, but my god, you can't cut that promo the same day someone else gets skewered for saying the same thing about Simone Biles ESPECIALLY when mental health is as important to the company as it is. 

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
41 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I fully understand the issue of there being a lack of diversity at the top. It is hard to ignore though that one of the first tag champions was black, the current tag champions are Hispanic, Sammy is Cuban and easily going to be a big part of AEW's future, Nyla is indigenous and trans, Shida and Riho were both champions and both are both foreign, Dante Martin is constantly featured as an exciting act, Jade Cargill is getting a slow Brock Lesnar push, and Thunder Rosa is one of the cornerstones of the women's division. I think in time you're going to get more diversity at the top of the card and the company has a lot of irons in the fire, but no one on the level of Bobby Lashley, Kofi, or Big E at the moment. Again, I fully understand that is frustrating. It's also not like there isn't any movement here.

And that's great, but it doesn't exactly address the point I made about men's singles. I specifically said men's singles.

If you're wanting me to give credit to the women's division or the tag division, sure, I will. But let's take a look at All Out. The top matches on All Out in terms of card placement, not including the Paul Wight/QT Marshall cooldown, were Chris Jericho vs. MJF, CM Punk vs. Darby Allin, and Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage. All white.

Those five Dynamites I mentioned? How many non-white wrestlers were involved in main events there? A guy that doesn't work for the company in Minoru Suzuki, and the Lucha Brothers. Aside from that, your main eventers for the last five Dynamites were Jon Moxley, The Good Brothers, The Young Bucks, Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus, Malakai Black, Brock Anderson(!!!), MJF, Wardlow, and Chris Jericho (x2).

And you can say "well, they're building to these things for the future". Great. I hope they continue that. They've had two years, though. And they seem to have squat to show for it in terms of men's singles title reigns, or even in people that can conceivably challenge for men's singles titles. The ones who have either got winning streaks on Dark that the only purpose was to serve them up to be squashed on Dynamite (Scorpio Sky), or were seemingly names drawn out of a hat (like when Cody defended the TNT title against Marq Quen and Sonny Kiss).

People can say "well, they do all these great things". Yes. I acknowledge that. That's why it's frustrating that out of legitimate World title contenders, all of them are white, especially when there is a significant amount of non-white talent that could be built up to that level, either on their roster or on the indies.

I fully acknowledge the good things they do elsewhere. Hence why I'm saying they can do better here.

7 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

What about Ricky Starks? He's been getting groomed pretty well.

He's been on the roster for almost a year, debuted as some random guy getting a TNT title shot against Cody in the same vein as I mentioned with Sonny Kiss and Marq Quen, and... maybe they would've done more with him since, except he got injured? I don't know.

But considering he hasn't wrestled on Dynamite in two months, but they managed to rustle up a main event slot for a match between Malakai Black and Brock Anderson, I'm not exactly going to count him as a main eventer yet just because CM Punk said his name in a promo.

He wrestled Sting on PPV in his first match back. I'd say that's a pretty nice push.

Also, Anthony Ogogo had something going before his eye surgery. Granted, Cody beat him - but to be fair if he was going to have surgery and they found out after it would be weird to put Ogogo over and then just have him disappear.

I think the lack of diversity within the men’s single division is a fair criticism and one I appreciate being brought to my attention. 

Starks and Hobbs have been stuck in the Team Taz Vortex. Scorpio was hinted at as a potential rising star in the early Dynamites but hasn’t reached that point. Andrade’s booking has been awkward, I do think he is a highlighted act though, things haven’t fully clicked yet. Kingston is booked well. Miro is very protected. Nakazawa is a comedy act. Sonny Kiss is on the YouTube shows, but I think needs more reps. The fact that I can’t think of other minority male singles workers that are heavily highlighted off the top of my head is my realization that you’re probably right. 

The Punk vs Team Taz promo is a way to get them up the card. But it is an interesting point that AEW doesn’t have the best track record of maintaining momentum with some of these athletes. So who knows, maybe more of the same?

I’ll keep reading everyone’s thoughts here and see what I can learn. 

44 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I think the lack of diversity within the men’s single division is a fair criticism and one I appreciate being brought to my attention. 

Starks and Hobbs have been stuck in the Team Taz Vortex. Scorpio was hinted at as a potential rising star in the early Dynamites but hasn’t reached that point. Andrade’s booking has been awkward, I do think he is a highlighted act though, things haven’t fully clicked yet. Kingston is booked well. Miro is very protected. Nakazawa is a comedy act. Sonny Kiss is on the YouTube shows, but I think needs more reps. The fact that I can’t think of other minority male singles workers that are heavily highlighted off the top of my head is my realization that you’re probably right. 

The Punk vs Team Taz promo is a way to get them up the card. But it is an interesting point that AEW doesn’t have the best track record of maintaining momentum with some of these athletes. So who knows, maybe more of the same?

I’ll keep reading everyone’s thoughts here and see what I can learn. 

Max Caster, Dante Martin

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Max Caster, Dante Martin

I guess I counted them in tags, but both are shining as solos. Fair point.

I’m clearly not the best at vocalizing this. I can come across more as rambling my thought process as I’m piecing together previous points. Interesting discussion.

Edited by Octopus

There's three more pages of this for me to not read, but I've storyboarded the Suzuki video package that would have headed all this off. So, with Kaze ni Nare playing in the background:

1). Suzuki booting a young lion. (this step can be repeated after steps 2, 3 and 4.)

2). "Shut up, I hope you go outside and get hit by a car" 

3). Suzuki riding a bike into someone. 

4). An arena shouting along with his theme. 

5). Fade on Suzuki pulling a face. Any face will do. 

If this doesn't tell you what Suzuki is all about and doesn't get you hyped, well I'm sorry. 

• Like 1

So are Jewish people minorities, or are they white?

Also, the main event scene gets more diverse when Latino Cody comes back, right?

Edited by AxB

Next time I bring this topic up, I'm just going to say "put the belt on Powerhouse Hobbs" so there isn't nearly this much hair splitting.

52 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Next time I bring this topic up, I'm just going to say "put the belt on Powerhouse Hobbs" so there isn't nearly this much hair splitting.

I know he's gonna face Punk soon but I badly want him against Miro for the TNT title.  That will be a hoss fight for the ages.

And I'm not going to try and rationalize the lack of diversity at the top.  All I can say is I would like to believe it's not out of malice but just who they prefer.  Hopefully things change soon but I don't see that happening for maybe a few months.

18 hours ago, Bryan said:

With the women they could be given more time but part of the issue is that with the exception of Britt Baker (and Thunder Rosa who they’re obviously trying to keep away from Britt until a ppv), none of the women consistently hit home runs. I recall Big Swole getting really over with the crowds and getting multiple tv matches in a row but she wasn’t very good at wrestling, so I assume they’ve been training her on Dark. Nyla and Kris Statlander had an abysmal ppv match, etc.

I don’t think looking at the champions is fair given the amount of time the company has existed for and how all of the reigns have been long.

And everyone who has been champion makes sense based on how they’ve performed.

You also didn’t count the women title holders which is interesting.

That being said, I think AEW has hired too many people based on what I assume is personal connections over actual talent. That’s the only way I can explain how guys like Joey Janela and the vampire guy that got fired because he was abusive towards women got hired over some of the guys from your list.

I was asked for my opinion, and I gave it. Sip or spit.