DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Well, I’d heard that this new wrestling promotion was getting some buzz, so I tuned in. I see Dean Ambrose fighting some little Japanese old guy and it’s a close match! So I tuned out and will never watch again. How bush league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Man they were running tight there at the end. Mox and Suzuki deserved more/better, but they gave us enough. Mox REALLY needed to not crap out his finisher though. Suzuki is pretty much Fujiwara now (and that is not a bad thing). 

Ruby and Jamie had a good match, so did Hobbs and Dante. Hobbs did something absurd that I'll let someone else post.

Now let us commence shitting on MJF for his ECW promo! 

• Like 1

Excalibur was sorely missed keeping the train on the tracks in the booth.

Dustin and Black had surprisingly little chemistry and it got a bit sloppy.

Using a Punk segment to transition to a strong match between two homegrowns was a great example of how this can work going forward. 

The main was fun, but fuck them for not letting Suzuki finish his entrance. I was waiting all day to scream Kaze Ni Nare at my tv. 

• Sad 1

I think they tried to pack too much into this show. The problem with that is, when one thing goes long, you’re screwed. Personally, I don’t think we needed that Tully promo or the second Pillman one. Set those up online or on Rampage or something. 

Man, I get they wanted to do some thing with Pillman in Cincinnati.  But all they had to do was cut out the ECW-lite stuff at the end, do a tiny bit of cheap heat/fan service and a sucker punch.  Hometown dude still looks good, heel's a sniveling shit and feud's setup just fine.  AND it would have allowed them to go full "Kaze ni Nare".  I mean I really liked the show but that was a huge misstep.  I mean it's not the worst thing in the world but at the same time if you're having a Japanese legend where the entrance is a big part of him then just let it happen.

But again I really liked the show despite that.  New season's kicking in so I knew it'd be promo-heavy this time.  And we had one helluva Hobbs/Dante match which make Hobbs especially look king-sized.  I'm so beyond ready for him against Punk.

And yes, I know they could have trimmed time for the Elite segment, I don't disagree on that at all.  But if this is one step close to Omega/Danielson at Arthur Ashe then sign me the fuck up.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Black/Dustin was solid and it was cool to see Black in a longer match.

Taz vacillating from goofy commentator to hardened heel manager is kind of a stretch sometimes, but I dug the segment between he and Punk. The closing jab with Punk bringing up Taz's old catchphrase was a nice touch. I'm looking forward to see what he can do with Starks or Hobbs.

Speaking of Hobbs, he and Dante had a quality big guy vs high flyer match. Both of them have progressed so much since the promotion has started.

I don't think there are any heels better on the mic than MJF right now.

Hayter/Ruby was a nice match and it was good to see Ruby back in action.

I'm not sure what I was expecting with the main event but it kinda underwhelmed me.

• Like 1

Tony Khan on Twitter (later, maybe): “I apologize that Kaze Ni Nare was cut off too soon. It was an outside contractor at the controls, and the whole song sounded great at rehearsal. We will never work with them again, and I will now be personally handling all music cues from this point forward.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 14