DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 1

RIPPA

The argument that most people made when arguing about how great it was to see these huge crowds at games was that the colleges require vaccines to get on the campus.   That is true in most cases although I doubt schools in the south are following that order.   But the issue isn't the college students they are reasonably smart about things.  It is the 80% of the crowd at the games who don't go to college at the games.   Maybe these colleges actually had checks for cards before letting them in but I seriously doubt it. 

Not saying that we should have no fans at the games.  Just have to realize the possibility. 

5 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

They also have WFT starting at 8-3...and then losing their last 6, the last 5 of which are all against the NFC East.  I can't see them getting swept by the Eagles and I think they'll probably split against the Cowboys.

I like how you are implying that the 8-3 start is most plausible than losing 6 in a row

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

4 letter predicts Bills win Super Bowl, which I'm sure is the kiss of death.

It should be noted that it isn't a prediction - they simulated the season 20,000 times and then picked one random one to focus on

Heading into the 2021 NFL season, ESPN's Football Power Index (FPI) simulated the entire 285-game slate 20,000 times to create our projections. Having a sample size that large allows us to have the most accurate projections possible, which is, of course, what we want most of the time. But today, we're only focused on one of them: Simulation No. 13,330.

Combined, those 20,000 simulations -- which, in the preseason, use expected starting quarterbacks, past performance, returning starters and projected win totals to generate a strength rating for every team -- give us a good idea of what we think will happen, but nothing ever goes to plan. Surprises happen every year, and every team can win on any given Sunday. So we're running from the safe haven of our projections and looking at just one of the simulations.

We played out every single game of that simulation to give us one plausible outcome for the 2021 season. That means projected winners and losers for every regular-season game, potential division-race storylines, surprise contenders and a look at how the 13 playoff games might play out. From it all, we get a drought-ending Super Bowl LVI winner and a top-five draft order for 2022 that comes with a bit of a shocker.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It should be noted that it isn't a prediction - they simulated the season 20,000 times and then picked one random one to focus on

So,  why did they even waste time doing 20,000 simulations,  if they were only going to focus on one? It seems like a big ol waste of time. 

• Like 1

The secret plan was a 10 game schedule starting in Nov and delaying the Super Bowl

Of course the thing that social media at least has latched on to is this

The league did everything it could to get that game in the books, and at the end of that 19-14 Pittsburgh victory Tirico noted it was the longest week in NFL history — 150 hours, 10 minutes from the kickoff of the first game to the final play of the last.

But the NFL took a different view of Denver’s game that same week, even though four Broncos quarterbacks had been ruled out as close contacts, and the team had to start a practice-squad receiver at quarterback.

John Elway, Denver’s president of football operations, made several frustrated pleas to Goodell to postpone the Sunday game until Tuesday, when the quarterbacks would be available. The league denied those requests because surveillance video from Denver’s facility showed the quarterbacks had tried to fool the system. They had removed their contact-tracing devices and put them in the four corners of the meeting room, then they sat together to watch film. That close contact automatically made them ineligible to play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

So,  why did they even waste time doing 20,000 simulations,  if they were only going to focus on one? It seems like a big ol waste of time. 

To give us foolish Bills fans hope I guess. But only believe the Bills win in it after the clock goes to zero with them in the lead in the Super Bowl. Before that, I expect them to blow it.

4 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

To give us foolish Bills fans hope I guess. But only believe the Bills win in it after the clock goes to zero with them in the lead in the Super Bowl. Before that, I expect them to blow it.

I'm a Browns fan,  I can relate. I haven't been this excited about a Browns team since Bernie Kosar was the quarterback... but my Browns fan PTSD is tingling. 

• Like 1

John Elway, Denver’s president of football operations, made several frustrated pleas to Goodell to postpone the Sunday game until Tuesday, when the quarterbacks would be available. The league denied those requests because surveillance video from Denver’s facility showed the quarterbacks had tried to fool the system. They had removed their contact-tracing devices and put them in the four corners of the meeting room, then they sat together to watch film. That close contact automatically made them ineligible to play.

That's so hilariously inept and stupid.  I hate the Broncos anyway so the fact that Goodell refused to let them get away with this nonsense pleases me.

• Like 2