DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/1/21

Technico Support

10 hours ago, just drew said:

The Bucks aren’t intimidating. I don’t know why that’s a controversial opinion. They look like fucking dweebs who only stand out because of their opponents complete cooperation. It wouldn’t be such a big deal if they didn’t try to carry themselves as though they were the Steiner brothers. Yet so many folks seem to be willing to throw any reasonable standard of suspension of disbelief out the window when it comes to the Bucks because they do cool flippydoo shit in between not selling and shitty strikes. 

Also, it feels like anyone who says “are we still having the size argument in 2021” is just saying what all tiny people say. At the end of the day, it doesn’t feel possible to accept the young bucks as the characters they’re so desperately attempting to play without throwing every convention regarding what makes someone successful at athletics right out the window.

I've skipped over like 5 posts of your that I had the initial reaction to reply to, but this one is just a bridge too far. We get it, you don't like The Young Bucks. You don't have to like them. Like who you like. But you're just making up fucking lies at this point. Like who you like or whatever but I'm just kindly asking you to also do that while living in actual reality. In no way shape or form have The Young Bucks ever been presented as Steiner like. In no way are The Young Bucks reminiscence of The Mulkies. The Young Bucks are not body guys, but they don't have bad bodies by any means. And your stupid raging on their bodies is some weird body dis-morphia in your head shit. They are bigger than Punk, Darby, Bryan, Starks, and a bunch of other people.

(Also TNT didn't cancel Nitro because of nWo beat downs. From January 1999 - March of 2001 there were exactly 2 months of nWo existing. Jan 1999 Finger poke version, Jan 2000 Bret version. And both were short lived and had nothing to do with the actual reasons WCW got sold / canceled.)

Take a step back and chill out with your rants man. You make a lot of good posts here and everyone enjoys interacting with you. Except on this Bucks shit. Let. it. Go.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

He had that vibe that this was his last stand and knew if he was gonna go out he was going to go out swinging.  What stood out is when pondering if this is the end it seemed like he was about to emotional thinking about it.  Whether it was good acting or knowing for sure this is it it led a bit of gravitas to it all before he went back to the yelling.  I know the match isn't going to be nearly as good as others on the show but story-wise I'm invested.

First time anything in this feud had felt real (to me, dammit). That was the fantastic and, yeah, for a second had me thinking he's actually losing come Sunday. Like he couldn't look up at that point because if he did he'd start full on crying. Awesome stuff and subtle too. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, holy shit, they still have the same giant cage. What in the fuck. Make that cage shorter. The Bucks and Lucha Bros. are all going to die.

It's going to rule. Fenix gonna do the Elix Skipper cage walk into a destroyer or poison rana. Can't wait. Won't be as impressive because of the giant trusses but I'm pretty scared for their well being. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Man, that's one big ass cage. With past Young Bucks vs. Lucha Brothers bouts, I'm concerned what they'll want to do off the damn thing.

Cody blew his knee out hitting that moonsault off the top of it against Wardlow

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

No he didn't. He broke a toe. Still not fun, but nowhere near blowing out a knee.

I knew he did something. That was pre Covid, I’m lucky to even remember something had happened it seemed so long ago in the before time.

13 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Ive been a wrestling fan since i was 3 years old.  my dad would buy wrestling videos from the local tape rental spot, and double tape what we rented so i had my copies. I watched wrestlemania 3 religiously, until wrestlemania 6 came out.  Im still not totally sure why, but tonight, on multiple occasions, i smiled while watching dynamite.  Smiled like I did when Steve Austin told Jake roberts he didnt have what it takes anymore.  Smiled like when i saw former Razor ramon (scott hall) walk onto Nitro.  Smiled like i did when Chris Jericho debuted interrupting The rock.  jerry lynn vs aj styles vs Low Ki for tna.  Cm Punks first pipe bomb, the list goes on. From Jim Ross praising AEW for doing charitable community work, Sting cementing the CM Punk/Darby Allin (Darby All in) match, even Tony and Jim joking about who Britt meant by big free agent, and the constant reminder to check out All Out on pay per view.  this show (and several others aew has done thus far) reminded me of being a kid, watching three different wrestling programs working hard to catch my attention.  i saw those three wrestling programs in this show tonight.  i love pro wrestling, and i cant wait for All out.  Good stuff TK. 

This is a symptom of watching AEW.  It's a little something I like to call "rekindling your love of professional god damn wrestling."  It's an odd feeling because you maybe didn't know you lost it.  It's what happens when people who actually enjoy wrestling run a wrestling company.

Anyway, a bunch of people covered a lot so here's just a collection of random shit from a really good show:

Loved FTR wearing MX gear to celebrate the career of Bobby Eaton while PnP wore facepaint to celebrate the career of Violent J.   ?

Fuck that was a good tag match.  Next step: tag titles for THEBESTTHEBESTTHEBEST.

The one 2.0 guy bugs out his eyes and points at the camera with his pinky out like every coked-up 80s wrestler you ever saw and it's wonderful.

I enjoyed the quick little promos sprinkled throughout the show.

Bad JR stuff: JR is incredulous that Taka Michinku has a move named after him.  You know, because he never got above jobber level in "New York," which is the big leagues.  

Bad JR stuff: Seconds after Excalibur puts over the cage as being there to keep The Elite out, JR writes his own script and shits on the cage as a stip, doubting it will keep anyone out.  I'm trying hard to not shit on JR too much because it's been done to death, but for fuck's sake an announcer shouldn't be burying a top match's stip.

Meh JR stuff: Calling Paul Wight "The Big Show" on commentary

Good JR stuff: Credit where it's due.  JR's voice breaking and saying he doesn't like the idea of Jericho risking his career made me care more about that match than Jericho or MJF have.

Holy shit were Ford and Conti on different pages a few times there, with Ford seemingly needing a manual and maybe a map to work through some of Conti's more convoluted holds and moves. 

Nice to see OC run in during the cage beatdown instead of just the jobber squad.

"Take my hand.  We're going to walk through hell together."  YEEEESSSSS

"I only lay down for my wife, in my hotel room, after the show."

Best Friends/Jurassic Express!  Anna Jay/Tay Conti!  Punk/Darby/Sting!  So much friendship on this show.

LOOOOOL Gunn Club heel turn.  Ain't nobody got time for that.

Rest in peace Big Shotty Lee Johnson.

I really liked the Thunder Rosa segment.  Rosa taking off her earrings and tossing them aside to fight!  "If I'm going down, I'm going down swinging!"  Chef's kiss.

MJF was really good on his promo, much more real and genuine than his usual cutesy smarky stuff and fake pro wrestler promos.

LOL @ Britt insinuating Rebel has zero chance in the battle royal.  

Something I forgot last week: Rampage's 4-man booth is awful, though I did enjoy Jericho comparing The Bunny to Baby Firefly.

• Like 5

Power went out for me a little into the show last night so just caught up this afternoon. Not sure if it was connection but TNT's streaming kind of sucks sometimes, especially the ads seem to buffer constantly compared to the main video.

That ending, was really effective in me wanting to see Penta and Fenix straight up murder the Bucks and really hoping they finally take the belts. It's crazy how the cold spray is such a goofy heel weapon but in the context of spraying people trying to climb a cage it felt like Cutler was straight up macing people.

That Kingston promo made me remember why I became a fan of his in the first place, really hoping he beats Miro on Sunday.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I enjoyed the quick little promos sprinkled throughout the show.

I really appreciate AEW going back to the days where most promos were a minute to two minutes. Large majority of promos don't need to be drawn out. 

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Bad JR stuff: JR is incredulous that Taka Michinku has a move named after him.  You know, because he never got above jobber level in "New York," which is the big leagues.  

I could feel Excalibur's violent shaking to hold it in. TAKA's a legend.

100% agree on Conti's offense. She needs to keep it simple. Her best stuff are her kicks and judo throws. The go behinds into wrist locks into bullshit doesn't do it for me and looks bad most of the time. She's got a tonne of potential and now should be the time she weans herself off of the bad stuff.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

I love that AEW can get angles across with little 30 second to 2 minute pre tapes. It’s a simple but effective device wrestler a and wrestler b cut promos over over footage of what they are referencing. They get to the point and get out of there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Bad JR stuff: Seconds after Excalibur puts over the cage as being there to keep The Elite out, JR writes his own script and shits on the cage as a stip, doubting it will keep anyone out.  I'm trying hard to not shit on JR too much because it's been done to death, but for fuck's sake an announcer shouldn't be burying a top match's stip.

I’d say the notion that the cage is capable of keeping anyone out was actually shot dead, set on fire and then buried when a 4’11 (maybe) 95lb unathletic goof effortlessly climbed to the top of the cage from the outside.

And that’s to say nothing of the history of cages not actually being very effective of keeping people out in pro wrestling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I’d say the notion that the cage is capable of keeping anyone out was actually shot dead, set on fire and then buried when a 4’11 (maybe) 95lb unathletic goof effortlessly climbed to the top of the cage from the outside.

And that’s to say nothing of the history of cages not actually being very effective of keeping people out in pro wrestling.

It’s a new promotion.  Let them form their own history before shackling them with other companies’ bad booking.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It’s a new promotion.  Let them form their own history before shackling them with other companies’ bad booking.

Should we be extending that kind of courtesy to a company that's choosing to be in business with Impact? If they're acknowledging that history, well they've had all manner of cage matches...

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 3

I've been really down on MJF for awhile (I think he's been getting lapped by a lot of AEW's other younger wrestlers in progression over the last year+) but that was a great, great promo. Maybe my favourite one he's done since coming to AEW.

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned OC actually getting the win during the pic-in-pic/ad break. I love that shit, if only so nerds like us can now point out that one time a match actually ended during the break.

What’s with the DDT as Miro’s kryptonite thing? I like the general idea, but I don’t get the logic. Fuego hit a top rope tornado ddt (which presumably isn’t in Eddie’s arsenal anyway) and didn’t win with it. How does that represent his kryptonite? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kev said:

\What’s with the DDT as Miro’s kryptonite thing? I like the general idea, but I don’t get the logic. Fuego hit a top rope tornado ddt (which presumably isn’t in Eddie’s arsenal anyway) and didn’t win with it. How does that represent his kryptonite? 

The logic is that Miro's neck is his Achilles Heel since the impact from the DDTs really seemed to have an adverse effect on him.   If a DDT from Fuego were enough to rock Miro, a couple of piledrivers might get the job done.  Emphasis on might.  It's hope booking to make us think that Kingston is going in with a gameplan and actually has a chance in Hell of beating Miro.

Edited by J.T.

24 minutes ago, Kev said:

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned OC actually getting the win during the pic-in-pic/ad break. I love that shit, if only so nerds like us can now point out that one time a match actually ended during the break.

What’s with the DDT as Miro’s kryptonite thing? I like the general idea, but I don’t get the logic. Fuego hit a top rope tornado ddt (which presumably isn’t in Eddie’s arsenal anyway) and didn’t win with it. How does that represent his kryptonite? 

It's not the DDT, it's his neck. Eddie specifically mentioned that and how he's going after his neck. 

EDIT: BTW, I fucking love that Miro is one of the champions or late game dudes from Punch-Out!! where he has this one weakness. I look forward to the eventual training videos of Miro strengthening his neck by lifting heavy weights and doing bridges and shit.

Edited by Craig H
  • Haha 2