DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/1/21

Technico Support

10 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

If Jay White ever comes to AEW, he goes straight to the top. It's unreal how fast he transformed from Young Lion to main eventer. 

Yeah, Jay White turned it around from having a bad match with Hiroshi Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 12. That wasn't Tana's fault. Be interesting if White ever gets that long reign with the top belt other than the two month IWGP Heavyweight Championship reign. He's under a long contract, right? I firmly believe he'd have won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship/IWGP Intercontinental Championship from Tetsuya Naito in 2020 but EVIL was substituted for him due to the global pandemic.

Edited by The Natural

Show flew by as usual. Opener was good stuff, better than their first match I thought. I was feeling the Ortiz/Santana winning in Queens with the Bucks retaining at All Out here, until the Bucks won the main event, that got me expecting the Lucha Bros to win after all. I had initially been figuring that the Bucks would go over since the Lucha Bros won last time 2 years ago. Still wish it was Jurassic Express in the cage. FTR's Eaton tribute tights was cool. 

Punk seg was good. Liked the Punk/Darby/Sting triple finisher sequence. Loved Orange actually getting the win during the Picture in Picture just to show that it can happen. Great to see Anna Jay back with Tay. Surprised Starks/Cage isn't on All Out.

Of course the big news coming out of this show will be the huge shocking heel turn. I am here for an extended Wight/Gunn feud and while I liked the Gunn Club kids as faces, I look forward to their heel run already. Always been a big Billy Gunn fan, so I do hope this leads to more to do for him. the Nightmare Family is falling apart without Cody. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ive been a wrestling fan since i was 3 years old.  my dad would buy wrestling videos from the local tape rental spot, and double tape what we rented so i had my copies. I watched wrestlemania 3 religiously, until wrestlemania 6 came out.  Im still not totally sure why, but tonight, on multiple occasions, i smiled while watching dynamite.  Smiled like I did when Steve Austin told Jake roberts he didnt have what it takes anymore.  Smiled like when i saw former Razor ramon (scott hall) walk onto Nitro.  Smiled like i did when Chris Jericho debuted interrupting The rock.  jerry lynn vs aj styles vs Low Ki for tna.  Cm Punks first pipe bomb, the list goes on. From Jim Ross praising AEW for doing charitable community work, Sting cementing the CM Punk/Darby Allin (Darby All in) match, even Tony and Jim joking about who Britt meant by big free agent, and the constant reminder to check out All Out on pay per view.  this show (and several others aew has done thus far) reminded me of being a kid, watching three different wrestling programs working hard to catch my attention.  i saw those three wrestling programs in this show tonight.  i love pro wrestling, and i cant wait for All out.  Good stuff TK. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

I love that Sting says "the going to sleep" the same way your aunt says "the Youtube" or Bret Hart says "the WCW"

Ah, you watched the new OSW today too I see.

Re: Gunn Club
I already didn't like them before, this just makes it easier. Austin is one of the worst guys on the roster. Poor Colt, though, he's actually pretty good.

Re: Factions
I thought the same thing too....no mention of IC, Pinnacle, barely any mention/showing of the Dark Order. Are they just all on the downlow currently or is the faction era on it's way out?

Edit:

I missed the free agent signing segment. Who did it end up being? Was it Ruby Soho?

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Ah, you watched the new OSW today too I see.

Re: Gunn Club
I already didn't like them before, this just makes it easier. Austin is one of the worst guys on the roster. Poor Colt, though, he's actually pretty good.

Re: Factions
I thought the same thing too....no mention of IC, Pinnacle, barely any mention/showing of the Dark Order. Are they just all on the downlow currently or is the faction era on it's way out?

Edit:

I missed the free agent signing segment. Who did it end up being? Was it Ruby Soho?

It was Britt Baker announcing she signed a long term deal. Britt got us good twice tonight. First, teasing two people for the battle royal, which at least got me thinking The IInspiration (the former IIconics), turning out to be Reba and Jamie Hayter. Then, she teased a big free agent signing, which was obviously meant to get people thinking Adam Cole. I still suspect Ruby...Ruby...Ruby...Ruby Soho shows up as the joker in the battle Royal.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Casey said:

"Take my hand. We're gonna walk through hell together. And then maybe, if you survive that, you'll get to go to your God's heaven."

I hope Eddie Kingston is holding promo classes or something backstage, because as good as Miro has been lately (who the fuck knew?), Kingston is just on another level.

Oh, and miss me with all of this "hurr durr Bucks aren't intimidating, lol Omega, EVPS~!!!!" bullshit. Hangman didn't return because his wife just had a baby, not because "oh no, can't get one over on the EVPs!!!"

The Bucks aren’t intimidating. I don’t know why that’s a controversial opinion. They look like fucking dweebs who only stand out because of their opponents complete cooperation. It wouldn’t be such a big deal if they didn’t try to carry themselves as though they were the Steiner brothers. Yet so many folks seem to be willing to throw any reasonable standard of suspension of disbelief out the window when it comes to the Bucks because they do cool flippydoo shit in between not selling and shitty strikes. 

Also, it feels like anyone who says “are we still having the size argument in 2021” is just saying what all tiny people say. At the end of the day, it doesn’t feel possible to accept the young bucks as the characters they’re so desperately attempting to play without throwing every convention regarding what makes someone successful at athletics right out the window.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

Quick hit thoughts.

That Jericho promo was an A, but still outshone a bit by MJF's promo. They put each other over, and made it clear what the stakes are. Honestly, if they could get away with it, I'd make it a dog collar match and tell them they get a bonus for each bloodsoaked camera shot they give folks.

Was not expecting 2.0 and Garcia to attempt to get heat off of Punk, but once it was there, I was doing the mental countdown to when Darby and Sting were going to make the save

Thought it was a missed opportunity to have Darby respond to Punk in that segment, but the sit down promo was pretty nice.

That FTR/Ortiz&Santana match was.. weird. Not a bad weird, but it was a combo technical match and blood feud. Was not expecting the match to end where it did.

What do AEW promos have that WWE promos don't? They're not (just) for making cute little asides that sound like bitchy high school girls, or generic fratboy #21 references. They serve a logical reason in continuing the feud, and put their opponents over at the same time they put themselves over.

Kingston and Miro just need to lock up hockey style and start throwing bombs for about 30 seconds to start the match, then tumble out of the ring, get up and start throwing bombs again. Just tell them. "I want you to go all out for the first 2-3 minutes. I want them yelling This is Awesome 90 seconds into a hossfest of bombs" Love the promos that work with each other (again).

I will go legitimately 4.1 on the Fucking Bananas scale if at the end of the Cage Match (win, lose or draw), all the teams that the Bucks have pissed off get into the cage, lock it, and then drop unholy hell on them. Finisher spam time.

And just think, there's about 5 or six feuds that barely got mentioned that are pretty hot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I am really, really, really, really, really, looking forward to Kingston v Miro. 

As someone above mentioned, just have them go at it like it was Don Frye vs. Takayama from the first second. 

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
2 minutes ago, eikerir said:

As someone above mentioned, just have the go at it like it was Don Frye vs. Takayama from the first second. 

Amen brother.

I enjoyed this show a lot.  Lots of good table setting for both the show on Friday and Sunday.  

I loved the tag opener and the Main Event.  

I’m constantly surprised by how much goodwill this company has and how just about everybody gets a nice pop for their entrance.  That’s got to be seen as a good sign for the overall health of the company and its shows.  They’ve even got me watching their b-shows at this point (now that they are happening in front of crowds). 

Bring on the PPV (hopefully I can find a way to watch it since my BR app has gone glitchy).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I am really, really, really, really, really, looking forward to Kingston v Miro. 

Yeah, two epic promos back to back.

We finally got a proper Santana / Ortiz vs FTR match and it was worth the wait.  We need one or two more of these after Wheeler is fully recovered.

Gunn Club turn was a bit of a throwaway.  No real sense in it unless they need to be fed to upcoming face tag teams and trios.

Malakai Black is a scary scary man.

Main event was a nice heat builder lead up to the PPV.  Usually AEW sucks when it comes to go home shows, but this one was pretty good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Oh, and miss me with all of this "hurr durr Bucks aren't intimidating, lol Omega, EVPS~!!!!" bullshit. Hangman didn't return because his wife just had a baby, not because "oh no, can't get one over on the EVPs!!!"

Yep.  Adam Page's superior paternal instincts are why things had to be shuffled around to make Christian Cage the contender.  No one knew at the time because Tony Khan felt it was none of anyone's fucking business and like Punk, I support this policy.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, eikerir said:

Btw I know HOOK is a meme at this point but we all unironically agree that he’s better than both Gunn kids and Brock Anderson right? Just by standing around he shows a lot more character and promise than those three. 

Amen. The obnoxious gum-chewing and that vignette where he does the the throat slit gesture in the foreground with Starks and Taz laughing maniacally in the background like super villains (can't find it right now) are both better than anything the others have done.

Back to the usual wild ride pace and flow to the show, with the traditional high tempo tag match to kick off, which was great with a hot crowd.

Conti/Ford was quality grappling too. A match and TWO talking segments? The women are really getting spoiled this episode. Did the Stadlander/Baker title match have any build, beyond saving Red Velvt from a beatdown? I must have missed it if so.

As someone who never saw 2.0 before Darby Allin hit that one with the tope like a cannon, I am fully on the bandwagon, even watched a couple of their youtube shows.

The Lucha Bros being so over (more so than Jurassic Express from the sound of it) warms my heart and bodes well for the PPV. Would be great to see them get the gold as I've been begging for a top-level run separately or together for ages. 

As heart-warming is the continued Welcome Back Tour of Happy Punk, and it was good to see some physicality this time. Yes, he'll be at his best in the more dramatic storytelling feuds with stakes, but I am here for ah-shucks Phil Brooks genuinely excited to be around the young guys and girls for now.

The tag and Punk/Allin are jointly my most anticipated matches for the weekend. Will be a ripper of a show, albeit Bastard-less much to my disappointment. 

• Like 3

Very fun episode with lots of good stuff going around.  It's funny in that while it took a while for Jericho to find his footing on babyfaces promos in AEW he's really been doing a helluva job.  I think last night's in particular was very strong.  He had that vibe that this was his last stand and knew if he was gonna go out he was going to go out swinging.  What stood out is when pondering if this is the end it seemed like he was about to emotional thinking about it.  Whether it was good acting or knowing for sure this is it it led a bit of gravitas to it all before he went back to the yelling.  I know the match isn't going to be nearly as good as others on the show but story-wise I'm invested.

Also, while I don't know if this is a hot take or not I think after All Out it might be best not to have Punk on every show.  I get that it's to hype up All Out but unless there's different things he's doing even he realizes there's a risk that the "Holy shit" factor can wear off.

Oh, and quick note but I'm 5% convinced the point of the Tay/Anna vs Bunny/Penelope feud is just to see who needs to have a "Settle down..." moment.  I know it's not true but I legit had to say that to a friend of mine last night.  Either way I'm really glad to see Anna back and it's going to be a fun feud.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pretty good show, although I think they could have shaved off 30 seconds here and there from certain segments and had a pre-taped promo or something. Rampage looks like a great go home show and I'm fucking psyched as hell for the pay-per-view!

• Like 2

The heel beatdowns last night were particularly vile.  Bucks and Omega are in a good place.  Smart booking would have them all retain their titles at the PPV so that people's brains will melt. I'd also have Miro retain because Miro is Miro.  I am glad that Miro mentions the awesomeness of his wife in his promos so that we can all try to forget the creepy Penelope Ford stalking angle.

The best thing about Kingston's promo was giving credit to Fuego for discovering the chink in Miro's armor.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The heel beatdowns last night were particularly vile.  Bucks and Omega are in a good place.  Smart booking would have them all retain their titles at the PPV so that people's brains will melt. I'd also have Miro retain because Miro is Miro.  I am glad that Miro mentions the awesomeness of his wife in his promos so that we can all try to forget the creepy Penelope Ford stalking angle.

The best thing about Kingston's promo was giving credit to Fuego for discovering the chink in Miro's armor.

You know, it's funny because Miro mentions his wife in every promo and yet I don't think I've seen one person speculate that CJ might show up at the pay-per-view this weekend even though she's part of the group including Ruby and Braun who are now officially free agents.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jiji said:

Holy shit you guys. Kenny and the Bucks make everybody they are in the ring with look like a million dollars. This will likely be the only time they hold the belts or at least get extended runs. They were putting everybody over during their pre champ days. Just two or three  weeks ago they put Daunte Martin on the map. Kenny just lost to Christian to make this backup  title match more meaningful. 

Looked through the comments. The derangement is strong. This should probably be the quote to reply to all of that with. 

And you know what? I fucking hope they all keep their titles because it would be fucking amazing if Santana and Ortiz beat the Bucks for the titles at Grand Slam. Santana and Ortiz are now setup for that moment after beating FTR clean. 

• Like 10