DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

6 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

Is there a general consensus on the worst WWE-name of all time? That is to say, either a renaming of an indy talent or a wholly original name for a debuting talent in the house style of First Name-Last Name (but with a bunch of unnecessary letters)? So for example, Mantaur is disqualified from this not only because it's a very cool name and gimmick.

After a while, you get used to them, but Dolph Ziggler and Braun Strowman were pretty roundly hated for a long time. Jaxson Ryker and now Bron Breakker have gotta be top contenders, too. Brooks Jensen is bad but only in a boring way. The women seem to have gotten off a lot easier, overall -- the only really awful name that leaps to mind (and is ancient at this point) is Kelly Kelly.

Dolph Ziggler is still the all-time bad WWE name, he's just been around long enough and fairly successful so people ignore it now.

Bron Breakker, Oney Lorcan, and Husky Harris lead the NXT-style names. Dean Ambrose is one that gets forgiven more because of the guy's talent.

Going back to the mid 2000s you had some awful "brother" tag teams like Doug and Danny Basham and James and Chad Dick.

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Bron Breakker, Oney Lorcan, and Husky Harris lead the NXT-style names. Dean Ambrose is one that gets forgiven more because of the guy's talent.

Almost everyone who was in Season 2 of the original NXT is a strong contender: Husky Harris, Lucky Cannon, Eli Cottonwood and of course Michael McGillicutty.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

All the Storms, Pages, and Cages should start kayfabing that they’re related. Greatest wrestling families, etc

Ethan Page does this constantly on his blog.

11 hours ago, Eoae said:

Oney Lorcan?  Not sure that counts.  IRRC, the former Biff Busick suggested that himself (if true, that's probably an argument in favor of the random name generator).

Oney Lorcan is just as wacky as the name Biff Busick, and it's more creative than... Tony D'Angelo, or Bron Breakker, or Von Wagner, or...

Yeah, hard disagree there.

• Thanks 1

So which company gets the better Star Wars rub: WWE having Sasha Banks with her small role in the Mandalorian, or AEW getting a guest spot from Rosario with her actual starring role in a D+ series (upcoming)?

They are making an Ahsoka Tano show, aren't they?

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

If Biff Busick claims to be Big Bully Busick’s son then I will have a new favorite wrestler and I haven’t even watched him yet

Big Bully Busick's real son is an MMA fighter. I interviewed him after he won a fight and mentioned that his daddy threw me out of the ring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Dolph Ziggler is still the all-time bad WWE name, he's just been around long enough and fairly successful so people ignore it now.

Going back to the mid 2000s you had some awful "brother" tag teams like Doug and Danny Basham and James and Chad Dick.

If Bron Breakker as name is death, 

Dolph Ziggler is... 

Wait for it

... MEGADEATH! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

If Bron Breakker as name is death, 

Dolph Ziggler is... 

Wait for it

... MEGADEATH! 

This post works so much better in conjunction with your signature

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

There should be more crossover between wrestling and drag, in my opinion. Many similarities. 

Drag (specifically Drag Race) is how I explained the Malakai Black vs Cody match to my fiancee. Malakai was Peppermint. Cody was Cynthia Lee Fontaine.

• Like 1

The first time someone told me about drag races I very naively thought they were super into drag racing with like, ya know, cars. They were telling me that there was even an Australian scene and I was thinking, well duh, Mad Max. I'm not very smart...

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

The first time someone told me about drag races I very naively thought they were super into drag racing with like, ya know, cars. They were telling me that there was even an Australian scene and I was thinking, well duh, Mad Max. I'm not very smart...

I thought it was a Pimp My Ride style show with RuPaul. And I don’t care about cars so I never watched it. Then I met my girlfriend who is as into drag and I am wrestling, and our worlds merged. If Ru is Vince, are Michelle Visage and Ross Matthews Brisco & Patterson?

18 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

I thought it was a Pimp My Ride style show with RuPaul. And I don’t care about cars so I never watched it. Then I met my girlfriend who is as into drag and I am wrestling, and our worlds merged. If Ru is Vince, are Michelle Visage and Ross Matthews Brisco & Patterson?

I'd say Michelle is more Bruce Pritchard and Ross & Carson are Brisco and Patterson. Courtney Act is CM Punk seeing how Ru wants nothing to do with her

The worst name discussion has reminded me that Vince once stuck poor Funaki with the monicker "Kung Fu Naki".  Ugh.

Not sure NXT names are any worse than names in the 90's.  Bron Breakker or.... Bastion Booger?  Duke "The Dumpster" Droese?  Thurman "Sparky Plugg?  Puke?  Chilly McFreeze (l forgot about him and laughing way too much at  the name)?  TL Hopper?  Arachnaman?  Val Venis (allegedly a riff on "my pal penis"),

Actually, my vote for worst gimmick name of recent times is probably Shorty G.

• Like 2

Oney Lorcan is definitely a crap name. If you've got a gimmick name that's not immediately obvious how to pronounce, you've come up with a bad name. I can't be the only one who referred to him and fellow black trunks, slaphead Burch as Oney and Twoey, right?

Edited by Swift