DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You would have to believe that at a minimum this officially is the end of his in ring career.

I can't imagine Vince agreeing to let him come back after this

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wouldn't rule anything out once Vince is no longer in charge and/or he no longer works for the company. 

Like his pal Ric, I don't know if he can ever say no.

The impression I have got for a while now was that HHH mostly kept himself available to wrestle because of Vince. HHH was far more interested in management and seemingly was ready to retire years ago.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

The best Gage match ever was probably Nick vs RSP at Spring Break this year. MDK All f'n Day.

Or vs RSP at Run Rickey Run from last year. Very similar crowd to Gage-Cardona.

As for tag team cage matches, I don't know if it was mentioned but the New Day-Usos Hell in a Cell match was really good from I think 2016 or 2017.

Zandig/H8 Club vs Joker/Necro Butcher/Toby Klein from COD7 is a crazy match. Also a good Nick Gage match. One of the first hardcore matches I ever saw. No tags but I wanted to mention it. 

So with all this talk of cage matches, is this a safe space to admit that I thought Kenny Omega and Christian were fighting in a cage on Sunday. I didn't realize Christian's last name was Cage. I read it as, "Kenny Omega vs Christian, Cage" like cage was the type of match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

So with all this talk of cage matches, is this a safe space to admit that I thought Kenny Omega and Christian were fighting in a cage on Sunday. I didn't realize Christian's last name was Cage. I read it as, "Kenny Omega vs Christian, Cage" like cage was the type of match. 

He was always Christian Cage on the indies, but then WWF signed him and shortened it to just Christian. Meaning that when he was in TNA, and now in AEW, he can still use the old name.

He got the name by combining the names of two of the hottest young(ish) actors in Hollywood. Christian Slater and Nicolas Cage.

44 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The impression I have got for a while now was that HHH mostly kept himself available to wrestle because of Vince. HHH was far more interested in management and seemingly was ready to retire years ago.

Yeah, I don’t get that Flair/‘can’t help himself’ vibe from HHH at all. I don’t think he’s worked more than a handful of matches per year going back to about 2013. Flair was far more active, far later into his career. At HHH’s current age, Flair was basically just coming back to WWE and that run (in-ring) lasted another 7 years.

• Like 1

yeah the Pedigree doesn't seem like a move that would look good as the guy gets older, like a Superkick or the Bionic Elbow

I remember the brief period in the 2000s when Triple H was trying to get the Sleeper over as a credible finisher again. The Sleeperhold was terrifying to me when I first heard of it when I was like 5, but that was in 1991 and since then, sleepers have sorta moved into the time-killing resthold sort of category even if it's a legit hold.

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah the Pedigree doesn't seem like a move that would look good as the guy gets older, like a Superkick or the Bionic Elbow

I remember the brief period in the 2000s when Triple H was trying to get the Sleeper over as a credible finisher again. The Sleeperhold was terrifying to me when I first heard of it when I was like 5, but that was in 1991 and since then, sleepers have sorta moved into the time-killing resthold sort of category even if it's a legit hold.

Was this when he was trying to be Harley Race and Jack Brisco and every old 70s famous territory wrestling mat technician/grappler all rolled into one? He was about 25 years too late for that.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You would have to believe that at a minimum this officially is the end of his in ring career.

I can't imagine Vince agreeing to let him come back after this

I don't mean this as a dig at him, but if he's got cardiac issues, that may be the end of him doing the things he needs to do to get into ring shape regardless of whether he's cleared physically. I don't necessarily see wanting to be on TV if he's 60 lbs lighter all of a sudden.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Was this when he was trying to be Harley Race and Jack Brisco and every old 70s famous territory wrestling mat technician/grappler all rolled into one? He was about 25 years too late for that.

I think muttonchops/Lemmy HHH lasted a bit longer than Sleeperhold HHH.. Like when he did the Harley Race bounty promo. HHH did beat a few guys with the sleeper in 2003/04 but quickly stashed it.

Of course, Triple H already had his weird Indian Deathlock variant that he would use once every year or so that never finished any matches.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Looking at what his last match was, kinda odd one to go out on:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=233035

Teaming with Nakamura vs Samoa Joe and Robert Roode 6/29/19 in Jspan.

I double checked because I wanted to make sure my memory was right - it wasn't originally planned to be that match

It was originally advertised as Nakamura vs Roode but - at least the way Meltzer makes it seem like in the WON - Triple H got such a big reaction on the first night that they inserted him into the 2nd night

HHH was only scheduled for the first night, and many figured the first night would be his last match ever in Japan. It didn’t lead to any attendance increase but he got an even bigger reaction than Nakamura on night one and that show was built around Nakamura going after Rollins’ title. But, whether the planned it and for whatever reason they didn’t advertise it, or because he had so much fun the first night, HHH also worked the second night.

The match on the 1st night was HHH/AJ Styles/Gallows/Anderson vs. Corbing/McIntyrie/Joe/Lashley

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

finally! a chance to flex my niche wrestling knowledge! I love the first WWA show and was super hyped for the second one....until it happened. "Macho Man" Randy Savage was scheduled to appear, but pulled out a few days beforehand. I believe it was due to pay. At one point, Hall & Nash were announced to reunite for this show. I don't know if that was ever actually going to happen, but they ended up in WWE reforming the nWo, so i guess it worked out for them.

dammit! @Nice Guy Eddie beat me to it. Well, at least i can add something: This was on the inaugural WWA PPV, "Inception", from October 2001.  You may be surprised to learn that WWA held 5 (FIVE!) PPV events. 

Jeff Jarrett goes into incredible detail about those WWA shows and the lead up to creating TNA on his podcast. They're some of the earlier episodes. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Jeff Jarrett goes into incredible detail about those WWA shows and the lead up to creating TNA on his podcast. They're some of the earlier episodes. 

thanks! i knew he walked through the beginnings of TNA on there, so it's been on my list for quite a while. knowing WWA is covered moves it up quite a bit!

Yeah I think WWA is episode 3. Episode 4 is all the behind the scenes stuff in the aftermath of WWA leading to the idea to start TNA. Episode 5 is the TNA debut show. All 3 are very good listens. 

Edited by BrianS81177

"So, his heart can't handle the roids and coke? I knew he didn't have it in him."

"Vince it was a genetic thing."

"Bad genetics??? That's it fire everyone in NXT, Bruce we're taking over."

"Yes, sir."

"And while you're down there see if you can find a working vein between any of my toes to stick this into."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hunter hasn't been rumored for any WrestleMania comebacks the last couple years?  i was there in New York for the Batista one.  Not a great match but cool as fuck entrances and the crowd seemed to enjoy it enough.. 

He did an interview earlier this year about how AJ Styles wanted a match with him at WM, but he felt he didn't have the availability to get in to WrestleMania shape due to all of his other responsibilities.