DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

Well, cue the softball season jokes. 

@The Z, but I don't think AEW is more wrestling than WWE in execution when it comes to a wrestling VS sports entertainment comparison. Maybe the concepts are different in that regard, but I think that is more through corporate structures. Both shows have lots of sports entertainment aspects to them. 

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

Well, cue the softball season jokes. 

@The Z, but I don't think AEW is more wrestling than WWE in execution when it comes to a wrestling VS sports entertainment comparison. Maybe the concepts are different in that regard, but I think that is more through corporate structures. Both shows have lots of sports entertainment aspects to them. 

Of course AEW has sports entertainment aspects. Most wrestling promotions throughout history had those aspects, but their aim is still to put on a good pro-wrestling show and have good pro-wrestling matches.

If a good wrestling match happens in WWE it's by mere happenstance.

Fans, wrestlers and even some of the people in the WWE office all got this wrong.

All the time I see people saying things like "How can they look at a talent like Tommy End and not push him accordingly? How can they put a talent like Ricochet on Main Event?". They probably know how talented those wrestlers are, but they don't care, because it's a completely unimportant aspect to them. It doesn't matter to them, if a match is 1/2* or ***** on 5-Star scale, because it's not their aim to put on a good pro-wrestling show.

There's an article on PWInsider right now labelled "MICK FOLEY: "WWE, YOU'VE GOT A PROBLEM"" and he's making the argument that young aspiring talent is now looking at AEW instead of WWE as their goal. But he got it all wrong. The WWE doesn't care about that kind of talent.

Even their head of talent relations Triple H got this wrong. He was signing pro-wrestlers, when he shouldn't have. William Regal was scouting talent at PWG's BOLA and other Indies, when he should've gone to Gold's Gym or football and basketball games.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Would not at all be surprised if New Day wanted to do their own version of Night Trap. 

I had completely forgotten that game and googled it only to find that there was a Switch remaster a few years ago, just FYI if you didn't know (I certainly had no idea)

• Like 1

I had forgotten all about it too until I read an article about horror and horror-adjunct games in a Bloody Disgusting article recently. Made a big stink back in the day but it looks PG or less now. 

Looking it up took me down a rabbit hole and I just ended up watching a Youtube play-through of Lethal Enforcers haha. The games you forgot from your youth... It's fun to go back and watch play-throughs and speedruns for me, especially since I always sucked at games and now you get to see the hardest shit cracked by masters. The fact that somebody even beat something like Abadox is jaw-dropping. 

• Like 3

Maybe it was Alvarez who said Lucha Bros. vs. Young Bucks was the greatest cage match ever...  obviously i loved the match but it got me thinking..  

What's the greatest tag team cage match of all time?     Not counting War Games but can count Hell in a Cell..  

So for instance..   New Day vs. Usos is available.. that was great.    Final Conflict (Slaughter/kernodle vs. Steamboat/Youngblood)  ...     i loved Money, inc vs. Steiners..    TNA had AMW vs. Triple X that was awesome 

If you count six mans, prob a Von Erichs v Freebirds match would prob be up there.

sheepherders v fantastics in the barbed wire cage

nightmares vs richs 

Obligatory rnr v mx choice

if i was choosing, for historical importance anc quality, id gp Final Conflict. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe it was Alvarez who said Lucha Bros. vs. Young Bucks was the greatest cage match ever...  obviously i loved the match but it got me thinking..  

Alvarez definitely said it and I do think he was talking straight cage matches so it would eliminate all gimmicks like Hell in a Cell or War Games

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Alvarez needs to stop mainlining his own urine. 

That's Apple Juice.

E-cj9oFXMAYDxoW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is behind their paywall but Fightful has a story that Kevin Owens contract is up much sooner than anticipated too

Apparently, Owens was tweeting -  then deleting - cryptic references to Mt. Rushmore (PWG stable; original version was Owens, Bucks, Cole).  

I run very hot and cold on Owens, so I'm not sure if I should be anticipating Owens jumping ship or dreading the prospect.  Been ice cold on him in WWE since he turned babyface and started doing his discount Stone Cold tribute, so maybe a change is in order.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I run very hot and cold on Owens, so I'm not sure if I should be anticipating Owens jumping ship or dreading the prospect.  Been ice cold on him in WWE since he turned babyface and started doing his discount Stone Cold tribute, so maybe a change is in order.

The only WWE show I've seen in years was this year's royal rumble and Owens/Reigns was a great match. I think he moved too far into WWE house show style whereas before he was too move-heavy for my liking. If he jumps to AEW, I think he could find a great balance between the two. Sami and Kevin could be the rest of the Radicalz thing SRS was posting about (again, the idea was Punk wasn't one of 'em from what I know). 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It is behind their paywall but Fightful has a story that Kevin Owens contract is up much sooner than anticipated too

The date is supposedly in January. 

I'm guessing Vince is currently demanding his lawyers be flayed repeatedly.