DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

56 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am not going to cloud the RIP thread with this but apparently Karl Anderson found the worst possible time to shit on his former company .   You could argue that he is right to be suspicious when the WWE says they are concerned about mental health in tweets and stuff but yeah it came off like someone still pissed they got fired

Yeah, I read what Karl Anderson said and it's not the time to say it. Asshole.

I remember listening to most of the original Talking Shop and then for a bit when they brought it back.  I would have thought that with Gallows being a bit much at times that he would say/do something that would turn me off from their whole deal.  Well it turns out that on one episode Karl was saying some dumb shit and I haven't listened to them since.  I don't know if it's necessarily "Fuck Karl Anderson" as I really just have complete and total apathy for what he says and does.  What he said along with his doubling down on the responses does put me a bit closer into the FKA territory but I'm trying not to waste my vitriol on those that don't matter much to me.

Decent article in ESPN's WWE section.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/32134255/the-story-how-cm-punk-returned-professional-wrestling-aew-all-elite-wrestling

Meanwhile, Punk said WWE had been reaching out to him about a return as well, through intermediaries. Punk said he did listen to overtures, but they never really got off the ground.

"I remember one of the first things I ever said to them was, 'Above all, don't play games,'" Punk said. "And they played games. Some things never change. ... When you enter a conversation with people you have a past with and you know who they are, how seriously can you take it? I know exactly who they are and they just continue to prove it. I'm trying to be as diplomatic as I possibly can."

Want. Details. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 8

If any of the UK folks were thinking about going to the WWE House Shows - here are who they are advertising

Here are the wrestlers who have been announced for the tour:

SmackDown Women's Champion Becky Lynch
Drew McIntyre
Seth Rollins
Bianca Belair
Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura
Rick Boogs
Apollo Crews
Baron Corbin
The Street Profits
Chad Gable & Otis
Kevin Owens
Finn Balor
Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode
Rey & Dominik Mysterio
Jinder Mahal

The same card is listed for all 3 nights

SmackDown Women's Champion Becky Lynch defends against Bianca Belair

Street fight: Drew McIntyre vs. Jinder Mahal

Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura (w/ Rick Boogs) defends against Apollo Crews

Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins

Rey & Dominik Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode

Kevin Owens vs. Baron Corbin

The Street Profits vs. Chad Gable & Otis

Since Roman Reigns and the Usos aren't going on the tour they will work RAW events instead (a little unclear if they will be on RAW TV)

Just an FYI, but it looks like TubiTV added a bunch of wrestling stuff since the last time I looked. There are a few really random comps (Manny Fernandez, Tommy Rich, 70s wrestling and the Hawaii territory). 

There’s also what looks to be CZW footage of El Generico, AJ Styles, MJF andJoey Janela. I assume it’s CZW stuff, anyway, as DJ Hyde’s name is on them. May be some other titles that I skimmed over  

Just noticed them, so I haven’t actually watched anything. Figured some folks here migh be into them, though.

Lucha Underground is still on there as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Shane said:

Just an FYI, but it looks like TubiTV added a bunch of wrestling stuff since the last time I looked. There are a few really random comps (Manny Fernandez, Tommy Rich, 70s wrestling and the Hawaii territory). 

There’s also what looks to be CZW footage of El Generico, AJ Styles, MJF andJoey Janela. I assume it’s CZW stuff, anyway, as DJ Hyde’s name is on them. May be some other titles that I skimmed over  

Just noticed them, so I haven’t actually watched anything. Figured some folks here migh be into them, though.

Is the Manny Fernandez stuff any good, or is it from a bad time?

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Is the Manny Fernandez stuff any good, or is it from a bad time?

Did a quick scan through that one. Looks like some footage from Southwest, some newer stuff that I can't place (looks like a tag that also has Ron Bass involved and a match versus 'Stro) and then a shoot interview that runs about an hour.

• Like 1

I read that WWE has reduced the staff of the television crews and cut catering. I am not sure if this news is true but whatever. So hot dogs and fast food and arena food is on the menu. Yummy.

Jerry Lawyer said WWE would spend around $20k on catering every show.

Edited by D.Z

New NXT setup looks reminiscent of the old Full Sail setup, which is good. I'm just hoping they keep they lights down low on the crowd like before because despite the smaller audience, the low lighting made it feel bigger. 

Scott Steiner, 2015, on TNA:

"Not sure how pritchard hogan n bitchoff convinced dixie to turn her back on the ppl who built up Tna. They cut the money for catering and we startd using paper plates n plastic.f*****g crazy!!!!"

• Haha 4

My feeling on this NXT change is that it’s already snakebit.  USA can’t be happy that this is where we are at concerning this weekly show they pay a pretty penny for.  

It’s really weird that the subtext meta version of backstage WWE now more frequently includes a narrative from the perspective of the network their shows are on.  It didn’t used to be that way in the days of syndication and early ppv.  I mean Smackdown has bounced around from numerous networks but there never was a real bidding/war pissing contest over it.  Now they’re always in Vince’s ear about which show get which stars.  

I forget what my point was.

Edited by Brandon Bones
Yep. High and posting again.

34 minutes ago, D.Z said:

I read that WWE has reduced the staff of the television crews and cut catering. I am not sure if this news is true but whatever. So hot dogs and fast food and arena food is on the menu. Yummy.

Jerry Lawyer said WWE would spend around $20k on catering every show.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shane said:

The ones I've watched have been pretty great. Lots of Southwest and lots of Detroit. Two favourite segments so far was a Stan Stasiak/face Sheik brawl and an Adrian Adonis/Bob Orton tournament final for the "World title" (that lasted all of two weeks before being forgotten about)

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1