#8 BowedImpressionableAlbatross-max-1mb.gif

(TIL Bearcats are real animals!)

#7 hurricane-gif-3.gif

#6 AgonizingOddHamadryas-max-1mb.gif

#5 c0e150dc2c446545179714a2a1a2cc11.gif

#4 BrutusFashion.gif

#3 cat-angry.gif

#2 49425fbfe1d8247cb5454dfead606ced

(Sidenote - "Oklahoma Drill" gif is a fun Google search)

#1 giphy.gif

Clemson/Georgia and Bama/Miami headline the first full week of games.  

Excited for the start of a new college football season, as always, but outside of the SEC, the PAC-12, and the possibility of Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina running back their dark horse playoff campaigns from last season, this looks like one of the least compelling regular seasons in recent memory. There seems to be very little standing in the way of Oklahoma, Clemson, and Ohio State repeating in their respective conferences yet again.

In the Big 12, your only hope is that maybe Iowa State can parlay their huge super senior class into a repeat of their best season ever and maybe seal the deal in the title game this time, but I think there is a cap on how much experience can make up for a talent deficit in college football, and I think the Cyclones probably hit the ceiling last year.

In the ACC, the one hope is that maybe Howell at North Carolina takes the leap and becomes Andrew Luck and maybe that’s good enough to sneak by Clemson in the title game. He’ll have to be THAT good, given everything else the Heels lost on offense (almost literally everything else). I don’t think he will be.

In the B1G…I guess maybe there’s a chance if Penn State bounces back from their dreadful 2020? I think Indiana is in the same boat as Iowa State, in terms of hitting their experience cap last season. It’s a shame they wasted their best team of the modern era on the fucked up COVID year, but it is what it is. And no team from the West has managed to win the title since 2014, and I don’t see anything new happening over there. Wisconsin will show up to Indianapolis; Wisconsin will lose.

Oklahoma/Tulane will - unsurprisingly - not be played in New Orleans

Tulane has currently relocated to Birmingham, Alabama where they will practice all week.

Most likely the game will be played at Oklahoma but nothing official has been announced yet

6 hours ago, EVA said:

In the B1G…I guess maybe there’s a chance if Penn State bounces back from their dreadful 2020? I think Indiana is in the same boat as Iowa State, in terms of hitting their experience cap last season. It’s a shame they wasted their best team of the modern era on the fucked up COVID year, but it is what it is. And no team from the West has managed to win the title since 2014, and I don’t see anything new happening over there. Wisconsin will show up to Indianapolis; Wisconsin will lose.

C'mon.  Michigan is rising up in Jim Harbaugh's 7th year and looks poised to defeat Ohio....BWAHAHAHAHAHA.  Who am I kidding.

• Haha 2

Meanwhile, Tennessee has announced that Michigan transfer Joe Milton will start at QB.  Milton was atrocious for Michigan last year, looking completely lost on the field.  How much of that was lack of talent and how much was poor coaching?  Guess we'll find out!

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Meanwhile, Tennessee has announced that Michigan transfer Joe Milton will start at QB.  Milton was atrocious for Michigan last year, looking completely lost on the field.  How much of that was lack of talent and how much was poor coaching?  Guess we'll find out!

Large sections of Tennessee's team seems to have left/transferred/been arrested so playing with what's left may not give him much opportunity to shine.

• Like 1

Bo Pelini's brother Carl, the former head coach at Florida Atlantic and DC at Youngstown State, is a piece of garbage:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-arrest-warrant-issued-for-football-coach-carl-pelini/ar-AANUua2?li=BBnb7Kz&fbclid=IwAR1f1zF8psDMAvIl49GVgk6UkS51XZ2uoSi3OtyF_m9cQYiBZG3NOxgCWFw

Edited by Tabe

I know everybody out there was worried about Jimbo Fisher's financial future with only seven years at $7.5 million left on his contract.  Well, worry no more.  Reupping for three more years at $9 million per year.  Presumably all guaranteed. Ags presumably bidding against themselves there.

Guess I can look forward to more letters from the university asking for money.  It feels like Texas has sent me more with their latest coaching change and buyout - too bad I'm rooting for their total, perpetual failure.

• Like 1

I'm excited for this season just to see what year one of the Brian Harsin experiment is going to be; however, I find myself way more intrigued by the NFL this year.

The SEC West will be really interesting as I think LSU will be much better this year, everyone seems to think it's now or bust for A&M (which makes extending Jimbo that much weirder). Kiffin could play spoiler at times which could be fun, but Corral has to show he can avoid being INT happy.  Meanwhile, Bama's only chance at not just being Bama is that Bryce Young is not very good. Even then, I expect it to be a run dominant/defensively strong Bama, so basically old school Saban. 

I'm in agreement with Eva on the rest. 

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

But remember, the NCAA letting the kids make money off their names is what's going to hurt the schools.

The fact that a freshman QB for Ohio, who hasn't even taken a snap yet, is making well over $1m from his name shows just how restrained the market has been.  Players have been cost tens of billions of dollars over the years.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

The fact that a freshman QB for Ohio, who hasn't even taken a snap yet, is making well over $1m from his name shows just how restrained the market has been.  Players have been cost tens of billions of dollars over the years.

Manziel wouldn’t made  more than Fisher just off my fellow Ags. 

As far as the SEC goes, if Georgia doesn’t win the conference and go on to take the natty this year, they probably never will. They finally have the QB to win big games, and all the other pieces are already there on the field. They just need good coaching, which remains the question mark for Georgia (at least on the offensive side of the ball).

If Texas A&M can figure out their QB, they’re a dark horse natty contender, too. All the other pieces are in place for a run at the SEC title, at the very least. Absolutely nasty looking on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Bama will probably field it’s best defense in 5 years but also it’s most inexperienced offense in the Saban era. I mean, it’ll be a good team, but this feels like one of those years they could drop 2 games in the regular season, especially with their early schedule featuring trips to Florida and A&M—two very tough places to play on the road. Will be a big challenge for a new QB, most of all.  BUT, if Bryce Young is an instant superstar, well...go ahead and start polishing up some trophies.

I honestly don’t know if anybody else is a threat to win the conference. Florida is going to take a step back from their historic offense last season, and I doubt their defense is going to be improved enough to make up for it (they were REAL bad, y’all).

LSU will be better overall because their defense cannot possibly be any worse than it was under Pelini last year, but Coach O is just Chizik all over again, and you can’t convince me otherwise.

And I think Auburn is in for a big adjustment period as they transition to how Harsin wants to play, which could not be any different from Gus. Harsin is not a quick fix, plug-n-play guy; he’s going to rebuild from the ground up. Lumps will be taken along the way. I think there’s a high likelihood that Bo Nix loses QB1 at some point this season. Does not seem like a good fit for what Harsin wants to do.

Edited by EVA

36 minutes ago, EVA said:

I honestly don’t know if anybody else is a threat to win the conference. Florida is going to take a step back from their historic offense last season, and I doubt their defense is going to be improved enough to make up for it (they were REAL bad, y’all).

There's a lot picking Kentucky to finish second in the East, but they lost some guys due to off the field stuff. Stoops has apparently raved about his new OC. It's no longer going to be run, run, run, run Kentucky. 

I like what Stoops has done in terms of making Kentucky a respectable program on a yearly basis, and if the new offense works out, I could definitley see this being one of those years where he parlays a solid team and a down East into a 2nd place finish (he’s done it twice before!), but ultimately I think the talent gap between Kentucky and the likes of Georgia is still too wide for them to be a real threat to get to the SEC title game.

Edited by EVA

3 hours ago, EVA said:

If Texas A&M can figure out their QB, they’re a dark horse natty contender, too. All the other pieces are in place for a run at the SEC title, at the very least. Absolutely nasty looking on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Defense will be nasty, I think, but lots of question marks on the offensive side, along with some really talented individual players.

RB turned out miles better than I though it would last year, and I figure it will be even better this year.  Wydermyer is a potential all American at TE, and Cupp may finally be healthy there as well.  Those are the only really solid things on offense. 

Everybody's excited because of King at QB, probably because they equate white, athletic QB with Manziel by default.  We'll see how that goes. 

There's talent at WR, but I don't think there is a single guy there that's not a major question mark. 

OL was really good last year, but four of the five starters are gone.  Granted, the one that is left is the best of the five and is a likely all American, but again, lots of question marks.

It may all come together, but that's a lot of pieces that need to fall into place.

You were bear-ish on A&M last season, and look how that turned out! A&M is gonna have a real good team. I wouldn’t worry about the OL at all. They’ve been recruiting studs there for some years now. They will have the bodies they need there. And A&M doesn’t play a serious opponent until October, so they’ll have plenty of time to get stuff figured out.

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

Not only have they lost tens of billions of dollars in endorsement, they still aren't being paid by the people profiting off of their work.  The millions they are making in endorsements are a fraction of what they should be making if they actually got their fair share of the massive profits that college football makes every year.

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

You were bear-ish on A&M last season, and look how that turned out! A&M is gonna have a real good team. I wouldn’t worry about the OL at all. They’ve been recruiting studs there for some years now. They will have the bodies they need there. And A&M doesn’t play a serious opponent until October, so they’ll have plenty of time to get stuff figured out.

Yeah, I had that post in mind.  I was really happy to be completely wrong about both RB and OL last year.  Partly I'm maybe hoping it works the same.  And partly I've been rooting for this team for nearly forty years, and I've seen things go south quickly too many times.  They could turn out to be really good, but I'm not counting on it.  

To the surprise of no one - the BIG 12's top targets to restock the conference are: BYU, UCF, Cincy and Houston.

Everyone but BYU would have to give the American 27 months notice and pay a $10 million exit fee

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of no one - the BIG 12's top targets to restock the conference are: BYU, UCF, Cincy and Houston.

Everyone but BYU would have to give the American 27 months notice and pay a $10 million exit fee

So a bunch of shit then. . .