DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/25/2021

Dolfan in NYC

45 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Why didn't Billy want to name one of his boys "Love", if he wanted clever names? That is an actual Swedish name, I think? Or maybe "Schott"?

Love Sopp is about the worst possible shoot name in the history of humanity, so maybe that's why lol.

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

And she shouldn't run out with Jeans. What kind of alien is that? 

I thought about that too, and then thought "well what would she wear otherwise". We do have a long tradition of aliens dressing like regular people in American cinema and television anyway. 

• Sad 1

Statlander could stand to watch the movie “Starman” with Jeff Bridges and take her character cues from that performance.  

“Hey!  I’m an alien fish out of water in human form!”

“Red light mean, STOP.  Green light mean GO.  Yellow light mean… GO… very fast!”

Now I need skits on DARK of The Best Friends teaching her how to drive.

Edited by Brandon Bones
More attempted “humor”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Love Sopp is about the worst possible shoot name in the history of humanity, so maybe that's why lol.

Yeah, and Schott Sopp would just be confusing af!  You may be on to something here!

53 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Statlander could stand to watch the movie “Starman” with Jeff Bridges and take her character cues from that performance.  

“Hey!  I’m an alien fish out of water in human form!”

“Red light mean, STOP.  Green light mean GO.  Yellow light mean… GO… very fast!”

Now I need skits on DARK of The Best Friends teaching her how to drive.

I mentioned it when she first showed up in AEW, but one of the reasons her character worked well on the indies was that she did backstage promos as the whole "alien who can't quite grasp the nuances of being human" gimmick. It's kind of like how Emma evolved her dorky dancing character gradually in NXT and got it over, but then just showed up out of nowhere with a cold debut on Raw and it didn't translate. I don't know if she does stuff like that on BTE or the other vlogs some of the wrestlers have but it helped establish her gimmick in AAW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Honestly, I have no idea! It's just "the dude from Creed" to me! Are you talking about the band or the Rocky Saga movie, btw?

The singer from Creed is Scott Stapp. I'm sorry I know that. I don't like their music.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

I hate the name Colton. That's really all I got for Colton Gunn.

Bart Gunn's original ringname was Colt Winchester. Perhaps it's a tribute to him.

I want to like Starlander, but the goofy alien gimmick leaves me cold.  Not sure what it's supposed to be adding to her act.

Admittedly, I feel the same way about her hanging around with the Best Friends.

Scott Stapp left Creed in 2004, and they reformed with a new singer and a new name shortly thereafter. Their new name was Alter Bridge, and they later did Edge's entrance music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I mentioned it when she first showed up in AEW, but one of the reasons her character worked well on the indies was that she did backstage promos as the whole "alien who can't quite grasp the nuances of being human" gimmick. It's kind of like how Emma evolved her dorky dancing character gradually in NXT and got it over, but then just showed up out of nowhere with a cold debut on Raw and it didn't translate. I don't know if she does stuff like that on BTE or the other vlogs some of the wrestlers have but it helped establish her gimmick in AAW.

Okay, so, I legit LOVE the first few seconds of this.  "WRESTLING!"

6 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Is that Sarah Joy Shockey in the screencap?

Edited by Technico Support

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is that Sarah Joy Shockey in the screencap?

Yep, she's a backstage interviewer and commentator in AAW. She'd always play the straight woman to help get over the other person, such as Kris acting like an alien or MJF roasting her.

8 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Yep, she's a backstage interviewer and commentator in AAW. She'd always play the straight woman to help get over the other person, such as Kris acting like an alien or MJF roasting her.

Nice.  I never miss Marty & Sarah Love Wrestling 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:22 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'll be the lone Red Velvet supporter then because while she is green, I feel she's shown a lot of potential so far, she's making everyone's offense look like gold and she's an ok talker, decent amount of charisma, she will get there.

I'm another Red Velvet fan. She's definitely ambitious but she'll eventually temper that. Otherwise, she's been fine and always makes her opponents look great.