DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/25/2021

Dolfan in NYC

All Jericho scenarios that end with him staying in AEW are pretty dire:

• He loses and moves to commentary / similar mic-based role. Cue: Screeching bedlam nauseously ad nauseam
  • He wins and continues as a solo act to bloat the mid-card with his signature 'dumpy 50 year Jericho' style
  • He wins and Inner Circle remains in some form .. when it should have died its natural death long ago

Not appetising prospects. His contract expires in 2022 .. so have to believe he'll be on the show in some prospect. Yawn. & that's written by a big fan of Jericho for the longest time.

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

Are they planning on using Suzuki to team with Archer for a match against Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page? He’s going to be here in the states doing indies and NJPW US shows, what, a week or two after All Out? Or the week of?

Too bad the Forbidden Door has largely forgotten about NOAH, poor Kingston might never get his Akiyama match.

My guess is they don't want to do Mox/Suzuki, since it would be a rematch. But yeah, US fans would like that better. If nothing else you get to belt out Kaze Ni Nare. 

Akiyama actually doesn't work for NOAH (hasn't since 2012), but DDT... which has the same parent company as NOAH, granted. Omega was going to have a match against Endo, and Takeshita wrestled on Dark, so it seemed like that was maybe going to be the partnership before New Japan signed on. Now that they have, I don't think they would want the Cyberfight folks getting further US exposure. 

Edited by Beech27

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Are they planning on using Suzuki to team with Archer for a match against Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page? He’s going to be here in the states doing indies and NJPW US shows, what, a week or two after All Out? Or the week of?

Too bad the Forbidden Door has largely forgotten about NOAH, poor Kingston might never get his Akiyama match.

Akiyama has been with DDT for a while now and was with AJPW before that. I haven't watched it yet but Jun just dropped DDT's main title to Takeshita last weekend at their major Peter Pan show (tho this one seemed weaker than most on paper, it did have Maki Itoh teaming with Onita and using an exploding barbed wire bat). Akiyama did give Kingston an approval on twitter, we know DDT is open to sending talent to AEW, and Jun is now free of the title. Maybe and hopefully soon! Akiyama was always my guy in NOAH and #2 behind Kawada for my favourite. Would love to see him work AEW and Kingston. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

My guess is they don't want to do Mox/Suzuki, since it would be a rematch. But yeah, US fans would like that better. If nothing else you get to belt out Kaze Ni Nare. 

Akiyama actually doesn't work for NOAH (hasn't since 2012), but DDT... which has the same parent company as NOAH, granted. Omega was going to have a match against Endo, and Takeshita wrestled on Dark, so it seemed like that was maybe going to be the partnership before New Japan signed on. Now that they have, I don't think they would want the Cyberfight folks getting further US exposure. 

To that end, it's been interesting seeing Cyberfight send two of their top stars in Takeshita and Sakazaki only to see them featured exclusively on Dark. Maybe being the uniting force in a political game like pro wrestling is more difficult than one would assume. Honestly, if it were up to me and seeing how things were trending, I'd lean towards Cyberfight because of access to TJPW, as it seems like Stardom isn't interested in doing much right now at least. Plus I need to see Omega vs. Endo and my dream of Ibushi and Omega interactions are dead. Dealing with Takagi has to be easier than Sugabayashi and company, especially with the Omega connections to both parties. 

I saw almost none of this but as the kid was playing downstairs, I did catch Hardy vs Cassidy and thought it was quite good, actually. Granted, I haven't seen any Hardy in a while so he doesn't have any sort of "go away and be an agent" heat with me. I though the side effect transition on the floor was great, that Hardy's offense in control was focused and compelling, that they worked in the character stuff and the money well. They could have deviated a little once Hardy got busted open but it's hard to do that during a finishing stretch. 

• Like 4

I really liked the opener!  That was an uphill battle since Hardy doesn't really appeal to me at all, but the blood and the finishing run really brought me into it.  I could have done without Ross' "Cassidy outwrestled Hardy for three seconds" call but, at this rate, what can you do?

The Jericho/MJF segment was just meh.  I wish Jericho would move on and do something else, and MJF's promos run from "petty good" to "outright corny."  "Yes, I tapped you out, but I can't resist ending your career" is pretty contrived and unappealing, to me.  Like, so what if Jericho wins?  Then he's 1-3 against MJF, so what does that mean?  That's like the Washington Generals getting one win against the Globetrotters

Looking forward to Hangman coming back and bringing the Dark Order back together, right?

Can I be looking forward to PnP vs FTR while still being kinda tired of FTR's schtick?

LOL @ Lee Johnson starting some shit with a guy who will kill him like he didn't just do the same, with the same result, against Miro.

Red Velvet's two topes looked awesome but that's more on the physics of a person twice her size and strength being more than able to catch her perfectly.  Those and the finish were the only good things about the match.  Was it booked for Velvet to moonsault onto her own head?  Sweet Jesus.  

JR gushes about Pillman getting thicker and I've chosen to see the glass half full and just laugh about how, every time he unleashes his body guy boner, the other announcers awkwardly ignore him and move on. Great match, BTW.  Loved the definitive clean pin.  

I'm digging JD Drake's 2021 Big Bubba gear.  Also on the gear tip, Pillman's Roddy Strong shitty little boots aren't working.

Fun Punk promo.  LOL @ him spoiling Danielson.  

Not sure about booking Hayter as Britt's heater (Jamie Heater?) and then having a babyface run her off on her first night in.

Black is a fucking star and it's cool they're not doing anything to fight the fans cheering him. 

• Like 4

You know, for programs Jericho books, there are some that are great like the ones with HBK and KO, there are some that are plain bad or dull like the one with Punk, but I think this one with MJF falls in the middle with something like his thing with AJ. This isn't a bad angle and it's clear there's a beginning, middle, and end, but it's been so freaking long, some stuff has failed to get enough heat, none of the results have mattered much, and I'm just ready for it to be over. Jericho does better work when he's booking himself vs someone else, but this is the longest thing he's booked and he's booking this stuff for about 10 people. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You know, for programs Jericho books, there are some that are great like the ones with HBK and KO, there are some that are plain bad or dull like the one with Punk, but I think this one with MJF falls in the middle with something like his thing with AJ. This isn't a bad angle and it's clear there's a beginning, middle, and end, but it's been so freaking long, some stuff has failed to get enough heat, none of the results have mattered much, and I'm just ready for it to be over. Jericho does better work when he's booking himself vs someone else, but this is the longest thing he's booked and he's booking this stuff for about 10 people. 

I think the issue with Jericho's stuff is that he's not as good a promo as he thinks he is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Why is it so unbelievable that Jericho would just lose the match and retire? There are no more worlds to conquer, for him. And he likes to put people over hard on the way out. Like when he lost a Loser Leaves WWE match and was carried out by security, screaming and crying. He loves to tell people how great that was, and how it was his idea.

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Absolutely.  The timing and delays of feuds is something they need to put focus on correcting.  They should have learned from the flat response to the long delayed first LAX-FTR match.    

The rating should be higher due to the interest of a Punk return.  Whether they liked it is another story.  Tho, for a really weak Dynamite there was still plenty to enjoy.  I watched with a casual who was really into it.  

I think the name you were looking for is Jimmy Jack Funk.  But honestly I'd pay to see Mox against prime Slater, Golden or Jesse Barr.  As for Kojima, I assume they had to settle on somebody not in the G1.  It's just an opponent to feed a win to Mox.  I'm sure they'll have a good undercard bout.  

Ishimori's in the US, El Phantasmo might have been avaliable.

The other thing is, this feud has been going on for a LONG time now. Like Le Dinner Deboniar was back in October of 2020 and these two guys have been working essentially exclusively with each other since then (and actually a little before that as well). I'd say it was post All Out last year (Jericho/OC and MJF/Moxley) that the seeds and everything for this began and it's just been basically those two non-stop for the past year with no real "side feuds" that I can think of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I saw almost none of this but as the kid was playing downstairs, I did catch Hardy vs Cassidy and thought it was quite good, actually. Granted, I haven't seen any Hardy in a while so he doesn't have any sort of "go away and be an agent" heat with me. I though the side effect transition on the floor was great, that Hardy's offense in control was focused and compelling, that they worked in the character stuff and the money well. They could have deviated a little once Hardy got busted open but it's hard to do that during a finishing stretch. 

Matt’s AEW run has been sneaky good and he doesn’t get enough credit for it. He knows how to work smartly around his limitations. He gets exposed a bit in tag matches when he tries to work at the faster pace of AEW tag style, but every time he’s given a featured singles match like this, it’s good. He had the best match of the night with Hangman Page at the Revolution PPV.

• Like 11

X-number of gimmicks over the course of a year when people are already kind of over the guy did him no favours. The teleportation stuff was coming in on the wrong foot. Hard to get a fair hearing after that. Shit, I'll admit I was watching the show on a delay and skipped the first quarter-ish of the show as it was OC-Matt and a Jericho segment back-to-back and I didn't feel like doing that to myself. 

Might give it a chance later to assess Matt's performance with the talk of it here. It'll still be an OC match, but oh well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alstein said:

El-p might’ve been interesting. Ishimori is the most solid in ring performer in the world that does very little to interest me.  I feel the same about the Sho and the Yoh.  I find each bland and forgettable.  Now if they could have gotten the underrated Desperado!  

6 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’m guessing the downshift to a lower gear this week is to protect the PPV buyrate.  I see this kind of episode all the time in HBO shows (for example).  This way a penultimate episode and finale will always appear as an upswing.  Want to call it a “let me up episode”?

That being said, this weeks Dynamite, taken on its own merits… not that great.  Especially during an embarrassment of riches weekly episodes have often been.  

Still super fucking geeked for the ppv.  

I get what you’re trying to say.  Essentially the simmering effect for lack of a better term,.  The focus is on character development over plot.  What those that seem to lack attention span call ‘slow’.  I would have been fine with that sort of episode and on paper I thought, in a sense, that’s what we’d get.  This wasn’t a horrible episode but it certainly missed the mark.  And as others have mentioned perhaps a miscue after all the attention from the Punk debut.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Why is it so unbelievable that Jericho would just lose the match and retire? There are no more worlds to conquer, for him. And he likes to put people over hard on the way out. Like when he lost a Loser Leaves WWE match and was carried out by security, screaming and crying. He loves to tell people how great that was, and how it was his idea.

There is next to nothing that has most people, myself included, thinking Jericho is retiring.  Dud angle featuring amongst the most cliched promos we’ve seen in AEDub. This all is making me forget that I once cared about Max Friedman.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, EVA said:

Matt’s AEW run has been sneaky good and he doesn’t get enough credit for it. He knows how to work smartly around his limitations. He gets exposed a bit in tag matches when he tries to work at the faster pace of AEW tag style, but every time he’s given a featured singles match like this, it’s good. He had the best match of the night with Hangman Page at the Revolution PPV.

That match was flat out great. They beat the shit out of each other for a good while and not once did it drag. I was way into that. At this stage, I think Hardy is smarter than Jericho about working around his limitations despite being more beat up. He's also not doing town halls every week, which helps a lot. I was cringing at Hardy joining AEW at first but he's delivered. It's criminal that they never aired the Genesis of Big Money Matt promo from BTE where he broke down into tears about the business always taking from him and now it was his time to take. Also, I find that Private Party are better as lower card heels stooging than they are high flying prospects (an act Top Flight will pull off better). Kassidy in particular is so good at heeling. 

I am torn on the ppv match because I would rather not see Jericho at all at this stage despite enjoying two of the five labors (of love). I'd rather see him in the ring once every three months than shouting on commentary every Friday, but I doubt that's an option. The structure of this feud has been, uh, interesting. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, alstein said:

The thought of El Phantasmo in AEW gets me excited. I like Kojima and all, but I enjoyed him a lot more back in 2003 when I saw him against Homicide in ROH.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It's criminal that they never aired the Genesis of Big Money Matt promo from BTE where he broke down into tears about the business always taking from him and now it was his time to take. Also, I find that Private Party are better as lower card heels stooging than they are high flying prospects (an act Top Flight will pull off better). Kassidy in particular is so good at heeling. 

Totally agree on Private Party.  Matt's 'Big Money' persona has hit the mark for me from the outset, but I've always been a fan of heel Hardy.  I'd love to see that promo you mention.  Any idea what episode or date that might be?  

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s likely because Jericho seems like the type to want to have the possibility of one more match in his back pocket but it’s still plausible. After all, Jericho is 50 and obviously not in peak physical condition anymore.

With Punk and maybe Danielson and Bray Wyatt and who knows who else there are going to be less top spots and AEW appears positioned well for the future (largely thanks to him early on), I could actually see him deciding to hang them up.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I really don't get the Jericho hatred. He's given MJF a chance to be the perfect Piper type that you SO want to see get his ass kicked, but doesn't wrestle that much. Jericho has carried that feud well, and even when logical booking stated that he should really be winning the last Labor of Jericho and be triumphant, tapped out 99% clean. The fact that he couldn't use the Judas Effect and caught himself before doing it, which directly led to the finish of the match, means that there is a REASON for this final match. The chance to say "One on One, nothing holding me back, I can beat you, and if I can't then congrats. You just ended my career". And gives MJF that reason to take that one step too far, and give something back. Let's face it, even if Jericho DOES win at All Out, MJF has gotten the rub out of 90% of the feud, and he can take ONE loss.

• Like 8