DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21

23 hours ago, ka-to said:

20 minute promos to start the show and main events that start with 9 minutes left in the show are things that caused me to stop watching Monday night wrestling 20years ago. I hope that this was a one time thing.

Last week had two title matches that had plenty of time to bookend the show.  Then there was the squash match which was meant to be short anyway given it was Miro/Fuego.  So while I would have had one less match I just see this is a one-off.

Now if this ends up happening on a more regular basis I'll come back and say "Whoops, sorry."  But I trust in them getting the pace worked out as the episodes go on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Last week had two title matches that had plenty of time to bookend the show.  Then there was the squash match which was meant to be short anyway given it was Miro/Fuego.  So while I would have had one less match I just see this is a one-off.

Now if this ends up happening on a more regular basis I'll come back and say "Whoops, sorry."  But I trust in them getting the pace worked out as the episodes go on.

Tony Khan actually said in a pre-Rampage interview with Busted Open that the format would be different for that nights show but to expect the show to be more like first week going forward.

• Thanks 1

During an interview with a Chicago radio station Monday, CM Punk said his debut last Friday at AEW Rampage might have been the greatest moment of his career.

Punk told ESPN 1000's Kap & J.Hood show that "the entire night couldn't have been more perfect" from the way they sold out the event on a rumor he might be there to his interactions backstage and to having his family with him at the United Center.

"We didn't need to beat (fans) over the head for a TV rating," he said, adding that AEW fans "get it" and want to be excited and have a good time.

While he was happy to hear the metrics and analytics people were ecstatic with the numbers, what was more important to him was the emotion, saying "pro wrestling is about moments and getting people to feel something."

As he did after the event, Punk continued to put over the roster as "young and hungry" and whatever they lack in experience, they make up with in effort.

"I feel like I'm the veteran slugger on a major league team coming onto a team with prospects," he explained, saying the AEW scene reminds him of going to punk rock shows in VFW halls and bowling alleys back in his youth which is one of the things that impressed him the most.

He said that in having Darby Allin as his first opponent back at All Out, he's preparing by watching a lot of Allin matches to see what he can do and so far, he's impressed with what he sees.

Punk said he has been in the ring training as part of the Heels TV show for Starz, but isn't doing anything extensive to help save his body and be smart about it.

He knows there are questions about whether he can still go out there and be entertaining, but he's lucky he "never did a bunch of crazy flips. My goal is to tell a story."

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, eikerir said:

1ohvdmi2iaj71.png

Awesome poster made by reddit user u/ThreeBeatDesigns with the whole promo.

I would keep an eye on this one.  According to the discussion he reached out to Pro Wrestling Tees about hopefully selling through there.  If that doesn't work out then he'll put it on his RedBubble page.  Either way I may need to consider a spot on the wall.

• Like 2