DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/18/2021

Don't really get the Britt charm myself either to the extent others do but there's no denying she gets huge pops -- possibly the biggest on the roster even -- seemingly every city they go to. With everything going on with Max, good for Sammy to put an emphasis on "Big Brother, I certainly don't need any more sensitivity training! ".

QT Marshall is laughably bad. What the fuck is that whole thing about.

Edited by A_K

Shida's stuck farming wins on Dark while we get a 10 minute Show/QT segment. I get you often cool down people after a big run, but she's been ghosted from tv since dropping the title. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I didn’t mind the Wight/QT segment, but it did feel like it was moving at Raw pace instead of Dynamite pace. And it was a lot of time devoted to what everyone knows is going to be a glorified squash match.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Another great overall show that continues to keep me swept up.  

Does anyone else freak out over that Jurassic Express double team into the power bomb?  That is a really crazy dangerous move without much margin for error.  Anytime I see it-I’m like “Fuuuuuuuck”!

Loved the crowd signing Judas exactly as planned.  Jericho looked pleased as punch.  The match was also a very good main event with a genuinely surprising finish.  Not that MJF won.  But a tap out victory over a big name star is cementing a young heels bonafides.  It’s a solid build.

I’m in the camp that the QT/Wight promo didn’t quite hit the mark in a show full of bullseyes.  But I’m also kinda wondering what Wight has to do to shed his skin of WWE baggage.  To me it’s pretty much THAT getting in the way of projecting the required cool factor AEW manages most of the time.

One last thing I’d like to point to in appreciation.  The large roster that AEW has and with the limited tv time they have available.  They do a really good job rotating performers in and out so that week to week so the show doesn’t always look alike.  It would be very easy to always have the biggest stars eating up all the time and end up stale from repetition.  But this young company full of young talent does a great job of staying fresh.  Keep dodging that bullet.

I too am digging the rotation week to week, but as good as it’s been they’re still finding the sweet spot.  For example, Malakai Black had a huge victory over Cody and then two weeks of video packages.  A promo would be nice but this isn’t so much a complaint.  I also feel like they’ve dropped the ball a little with acts like FTR and LAX, and holding off on their initial match for what seemed like months.  Anyway, small complaint and patient for finding the flow.  There are many examples where the pace is just right.

As somebody that hasn’t seen Paul Wight wrestle in 15 plus years I’m excited to see him.  Further, I really like the legend-respect he’s receiving.  Seems refreshing after the WWE humiliation standard.  Also, I’m a fan of QT and his low card gang.  I don’t understand how his fantastic promos, such as this one, Miss with this online audience.  Seeing QT get thrashed by Wight is something I look forward to.

55 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I will never understand this website's disdain of Omega and the Bucks. I've been here since 2005 and I just don't get it. I've heard all the arguments but man... 

Yeah, I mean aside from the hilarity of their promos and perfection of their gimmicks and the consistent incredible matches, and the way they make everybody look better than they ever look (eg Luchasaurus).  I mean aside from that the peanut gallery is onto something here!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Shida's stuck farming wins on Dark while we get a 10 minute Show/QT segment. I get you often cool down people after a big run, but she's been ghosted from tv since dropping the title. 

She’s not going to have a rematch with Baker anytime soon and they only have 3 hours of tv time as of last week, so it’s not like there  is a lot for her to do. 

And Dr. Britt Baker is by far the most over woman on the roster ever, so should unquestionably be the face of the division right now.

And with all due respect, it’s extremely unlikely Shida would have main evented the inaugural Rampage as a champion. And if she did it wouldn’t received the reaction Baker did.

Shida was Champion of a division in flux.  Not to diminish her efforts, she has had some good bouts but she is very inconsistent.  She’s also a very bland babyface.  I’m hoping this heel turn is a thing.  I’d love to see her get her own Alex Alahambras.  I’d even take a Vickie Guerrero in a switch up from Nyla.  The Beast certainly doesn’t need a mouthpiece.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

So many people also clearly leapfrogged her during her reign, either in terms of ring work or personality or buzz, that I'm not surprised someone could potentially look at Shida's reign and not have perceived her as a long-tenured face of the division. The ring-work of Rosa and Deeb, the personality of Britt, the much-buzzed-about alleged improvement of Conti, the strangeness of Jade debuting as such a potential attraction, it all served to get people excited about whatever was coming after Shida. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4

Rosa's the closest thing they have to a complete package in terms of ringwork, personality, and buzz. But it would be very silly to dethrone Britt right now. Still think Shida, like Riho, should be in the mix and getting feuds either to shine up the next contender or to beat those that aren't quite ready. Hard to do when you're booking one women's match a show though.

Dynamite has a very rigid structure they adhere to. Every episode has either 5 or 6 matches. I had to look up old Nitro results, because it feels like they try to emulated early / good Nitro with a lot of their structure. But Nitro would normally have anywhere from 8 - 12 matches routinely. And that's during the 2 hour era. I think AEW could get a bit more mileage out of things if they make the format a little more fluid. Scale back the amount of promos. Stick in a quick match or two. And for the love of god structure things a bit better in regards to commercials. All but the opening match usually has a picture in picture break. It's a scripted show, you can script matches to end before commercials sometimes.

I really love what AEW is doing, so I hope this doesn't come off too harsh. But sticking to such a rigid formula gets old even when it's people and segments you like. Mix it up a little.

• Like 1

To their credit, it felt like they somehow had more inter-segment commercial breaks than usual. Was the opener the only one without a break? Or did they really do a commercial break during a Sting match? I don't remember, I've gotten so used to skipping them, PIP or not. 

I also may be high here, but I think I've noticed that the females usually go on for their matches around 920-930 every single time. The reason I notice this is it's after I pick up my gf from work, so whenever I get home, it's always a female match on.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if that is true - please buck that horse. Don't keep the format that strict to where I know when the females will wrestle.

Speaking of horse, no Hangman this week at all. Dynamite or Rampage ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I also may be high here, but I think I've noticed that the females usually go on for their matches around 920-930 every single time. The reason I notice this is it's after I pick up my gf from work, so whenever I get home, it's always a female match on.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if that is true - please buck that horse. Don't keep the format that strict to where I know when the females will wrestle.

You're not crazy. Just skimmed a few months of Dynamite results and while it's not the case every week, there are a lot of women's matches tucked in there as the match before the main event. 

Seems a bit regressive to see the women so often in what might traditionally be viewed as a cool-down spot, but people can draw their own conclusions. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

AEW in the mud.

edit: why are they doing lower numbers without the Olympics for competition? Is it that MTV show mentioned last week?

Dude...Afghanistan...