DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/18/2021

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Shawn Spears is having a fun little run.  

I forgot to say this earlier. When did Shawn Spears turn into a better than average promo? That was well delivered and effective. He’s finally justifying that payday.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alstein said:

Minoru is heading to the US next month- confirmed, not in G1.

If Archer needs any help vs Dan Lambert goons, knock on that door.  Also would be good to scare Kenny.

G1 Climax 31 is looking grim with no Minoru Suzuki, Jay White, Juice Robinson, David Finlay and Will Ospreay who I've never liked. Do some Jr. Heavyweights come in? The forbidden door is open so AEW? IMPACT possibly?

Edited by The Natural

24 minutes ago, just drew said:

I forgot to say this earlier. When did Shawn Spears turn into a better than average promo? That was well delivered and effective. He’s finally justifying that payday.

Spears always had talent. He was kind of cursed by being the first non-Elite WWE ship-jumper, he became AEW (and particularly Cody's) pet project like they just had to make him this beacon. This example of "We'll Treat You Good Here!". Slapping every gimmick on him without testing them out in dark matches. Forcing him into feuds he didn't fit into. When I said all those months ago that Spears has First Boss in an Arcade Beat-Em-Up energy I didn't mean it as an insult. That's a super important role, that's probably half the boss fights players on that machine are going to experience and the one most people are gonna remember. He's probably the apex JTTS in AEW, it's a very important role and I'm glad he's settled into it.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8

Speaking of Spears,  I remember in about Fall 2016, I went to an NXT house show in LA, and Tye Dillinger had a singles match with Buddy Murphy. Dillinger probably had one of the biggest pops of the night, and Murphy played the heel foil role perfectly. This wasn't a five-star affair, but the way Dillinger worked off the crowd was like 5-star ability if that makes any sense. I had never watched much of Dillinger before, but it was eye opening to me how over he was and how well he played his simple "10 10 10" babyface gimmick. 

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

G1 Climax 31 is looking grim with no Minoru Suzuki, Jay White, Juice Robinson, David Finlay and Will Ospreay who I've never liked. Do some Jr. Heavyweights come in? The forbidden door is open so AEW? IMPACT possibly?

Willing to be surprised (but hoping not to be), but I can't imagine any promotion here wanting to send any of their wrestlers over there for a multi-week run with how Covid is exploding in Japan. The tournament starts on the 19th and the current State of Emergency runs until the 12th and could very easily be extended

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elizium said:

Willing to be surprised (but hoping not to be), but I can't imagine any promotion here wanting to send any of their wrestlers over there for a multi-week run with how Covid is exploding in Japan. The tournament starts on the 19th and the current State of Emergency runs until the 12th and could very easily be extended

I wouldn't either.

I love Dan Lambert's "Uncle you have blocked on Facebook" schtick.  I want to see him on TV every week yelling about how everybody is pussies nowadays.  I will pay money to see that man get his ass beat and that's how you know it's good pro wrestling.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Spears always had talent. He was kind of cursed by being the first non-Elite WWE ship-jumper, he became AEW (and particularly Cody's) pet project like they just had to make him this beacon. This example of "We'll Treat You Good Here!". Slapping every gimmick on him without testing them out in dark matches. Forcing him into feuds he didn't fit into. When I said all those months ago that Spears has First Boss in an Arcade Beat-Em-Up energy I didn't mean it as an insult. That's a super important role, that's probably half the boss fights players on that machine are going to experience and the one most people are gonna remember. He's probably the apex JTTS in AEW, it's a very important role and I'm glad he's settled into it.

So he ended up being the "Good Hand" Cody said he was? That one chair-shot was uncalled for, in  that case!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If he really wants me to buy that as his gimmick, why haven’t I heard anything about him being banned from multiple grocery stores for harassing the staff about COVID? 

Needs to be doing all his promos into the front-facing camera of his phone in his F150

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Speaking of Spears,  I remember in about Fall 2016, I went to an NXT house show in LA, and Tye Dillinger had a singles match with Buddy Murphy. Dillinger probably had one of the biggest pops of the night, and Murphy played the heel foil role perfectly. This wasn't a five-star affair, but the way Dillinger worked off the crowd was like 5-star ability if that makes any sense. I had never watched much of Dillinger before, but it was eye opening to me how over he was and how well he played his simple "10 10 10" babyface gimmick. 

The Tye Dillinger Perfect 10 gimmick gave me DDP in '97/'98 vibes. While failing to capitalize on his popularity on the main roster wasn't quite the fuck up of blowing it with Nakamura, they badly failed to capitalize on something really nice that Spears/NXT built up.

A pretty damn fun show overall, though I'll agree that the show faded with the Lambert and Paul Wight segments back-to-back. Still, the three awesome and different matches in the first hour and a classic TV main event made this a strong episode overall. Certainly wouldn't complain about a Miro-Kingston TNT title match at All Out, though I feel like Eddie probably needs to win a big match one of these days soon. Also, it would give the fans a feel good moment since I still expect both Elite champions to retain (though I could see Bucks losing to Jurassic Express, especially since Jungle Boy is creeping towards must win in a big match territory as well).

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Big Z said:

The Tye Dillinger Perfect 10 gimmick gave me DDP in '97/'98 vibes. While failing to capitalize on his popularity on the main roster wasn't quite the fuck up of blowing it with Nakamura, they badly failed to capitalize on something really nice that Spears/NXT built up.

A pretty damn fun show overall, though I'll agree that the show faded with the Lambert and Paul Wight segments back-to-back. Still, the three awesome and different matches in the first hour and a classic TV main event made this a strong episode overall. Certainly wouldn't complain about a Miro-Kingston TNT title match at All Out, though I feel like Eddie probably needs to win a big match one of these days soon. Also, it would give the fans a feel good moment since I still expect both Elite champions to retain (though I could see Bucks losing to Jurassic Express, especially since Jungle Boy is creeping towards must win in a big match territory as well).

Yup, that's a pretty excellent comparison. Dillinger definitely found his stride with that gimmick and clearly connected with the fans. 

• Like 1

It was a hollow, silly hand gesture gimmick though. I don't think it had lasting power regardless of WWE self-sabotaging or not. DDP was a great wrestler, with one of the best and most over finishes of the modern era, and an interesting character. I don't see the comparison. 

53 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Eeeh I don't know if Spears has the kind of innate charisma that allowed DDP to be a credible World Champion. Shawn Spears is a very capable hand who's range extends from beating up the lower midcard to putting over the upper midcard/main event, he's quietly good at working as either face or heel, and is capable of committing (or even overcommitting) to a gimmick. He's almost a little too credible looking for what he's good at. He can get a weird gimmick over as a loner babyface, his heel work is better with a partner or in a stable, but he will always (and not always fairly) be overshadowed by better workrate guys. And he sure can throw a Death Valley Driver.

Put that all together and the computer says Shawn Spears' closest '98 WCW comparison is...

*beep boop, dial-up modem, Press Your Luck sound effects*

...turns out he's Perry Saturn.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

It was a hollow, silly hand gesture gimmick though. I don't think it had lasting power regardless of WWE self-sabotaging or not. DDP was a great wrestler, with one of the best and most over finishes of the modern era, and an interesting character. I don't see the comparison. 

It was simple and makes more sense than whatever is going on with Nikki ALMOST A SUPERHERO ASH whatever the frell that means. 

Tye Dillinger is also a great wrestler. Also, it took DDP a good 6-7 years until he really got over and became a major star. He was given the chance to develop his character and grow out of being a chickenshit heel and was given a prime storyline with the nWo and Randy Savage.

• Like 1

I'll admit to a fair amount of ignorance where UFC is concerned. Were Dan Lambert's back-up dancers "holy shit" or "ah, shit"? 

The crowd was insane for the near falls in the YB/JE match. Jungle Boy really might be the Ricky Steamboat of his generation. 

JR was JR tonight. I can't wait until AEW signs Mustafa Ali just to hear JR say "you know, this kid reminds me of Nasir Bholu". 

Good show overall. Who didn't Moxley call out in that thinly veiled promo? Interesting to see where that goes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Eeeh I don't know if Spears has the kind of innate charisma that allowed DDP to be a credible World Champion. Shawn Spears is a very capable hand who's range extends from beating up the lower midcard to putting over the upper midcard/main event, he's quietly good at working as either face or heel, and is capable of committing (or even overcommitting) to a gimmick. He's almost a little too credible looking for what he's good at. He can get a weird gimmick over as a loner babyface but his heel work is better with a partner or in a stable, but he will always (and not always fairly) be overshadowed by better workrate guys. And he sure can throw a Death Valley Driver.

Put that all together and the computer says Shawn Spear's closest '97 WCW analogue is...

*beep boop, dial-up modem, Press Your Luck sound effects*

...turns out he's Perry Saturn.

JBL didn't have the well rounded qualities to be a credible world champion who held the title for like a year, but it still happened. I don't see how Shawn Spears could've been much worse if given the opportunity. JBL played a decent heel and could get a good promo, but most of his matches as a main eventer were the drizzling shits.

Sheamus became World champion after debuting in like what two months? And since that time he's only really gone backwards down to the midcard level. 

Also, it wasn't like DDP wasn't a long-running champion either. I'd hardly call him a "credible" world champion.

Edited by TheVileOne

1 minute ago, punkenhead said:

I'll admit to a fair amount of ignorance where UFC is concerned. Were Dan Lambert's back-up dancers "holy shit" or "ah, shit"? 

Legitimate UFC Heavyweight Champions who managed to defend their belts at least once, although Arlovski did so when the top 3 MMA Heavyweights were clearly fighting in PRIDE. Still, more legit than anyone on the AEW roster and JDS would be considered more legit than, say, Brock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Brock Anderson vs Malakai Black seems squashy squashy. 

As it should be. Punch, punch, big spinebuster, done.  Welcome to spinebuster city.

Got to beat the NXT out of these guys

Sorry, my mistake, thought this was the RAW thread!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

JBL didn't have the well rounded qualities to be a credible world champion who held the title for like a year, but it still happened. I don't see how Shawn Spears could've been much worse if given the opportunity. 

Sheamus became World champion after debuting in like what two months? And since that time he's only really gone backwards down to the midcard level. 

Also, it wasn't like DDP wasn't a long-running champion either. I'd hardly call him a "credible" world champion.

I'd call DDP more championship-worthy (in that short window of time) than anyone just mentioned. Certainly on the charisma front. Sheamus had a late-career resurgence as superb TV and tag team guy that I think paints his early title reigns in a better light, JBL was really big and could promo/lead a (bad) faction with (good) authority + at least had the Eddie classics. Those three guys were pushed beyond their ceilings but I don't think Spears has nearly as much comfortable charisma as any of them. The "Ten" thing got over but it still felt contrived.

EDIT: Don't think I ever realized that DDP's three WCW World Championship reigns added up to a whopping 29 days. That's rough. Not quite Giant Baba-as-NWA Champion rough, but still rough.

• Like 2

While the opening match was going on I was explaining to wife all about Sting and how he's a legend but he's in his sixties and half-crippled so she should watch how he avoids taking any bumps.  And like 30 seconds after that he got powerbombed through a table.  Once again I don't know shit.

The bump of the match, though, was Darby getting suplexed on the trucks of his board.  I can't imagine what the discs in that dude's back look like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

DDP 97/98 comparison aside, I still believe WWE could've done more with Spears with that gimmick. And not exactly at the world title level. 

It should have been exceedingly easy to at the very least use him the way he was used in NXT. The over and somewhat credible babyface who wins against heels that have already been around for a while and loses against the new heels that are getting their initial push.

• Like 2