DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/11/21

Technico Support

Christian/Omega for the Impact title Friday is bizarre.  I have no idea what they're going to do and, like @Craig Hsaid, it's kinda lose/lose.  Since it opens the show, I'm guessing something screwy.

Man, that sequence where Matt Sydal hit a La Mistica into a grounded Cobra Clutch, then Mike Sydal did some Kama Sutra shit, followed by Dante Martin going absolutely nuts with the spots....chef's kiss.  All I could think about was how fresh this kind of action, and this whole promotion, feels, while WWE is moving back to 6'5" 260 lb college football washouts.  Who the fuck is going to watch that shit, let alone who the fuck with any talent is going to work there?

I hate to risk @John from Cincinnati's wrath but, again, I'm going to say we've all got some abused puppy syndrome from WWE's awful booking, all caught up speculating how Wardlow/Jericho would probably be a DQ since "there's no way Wardlow should be jobbing."  This is just like people wondering when Cody's going to break the no title match stip. because WWE booking has trained wrestling fans to think  stips don't mean anything.  This ? company ? doesn't ? book ? like ? that ?.  Guys at one level generally beat guys at a lower level until it's time to bring those guys up.  Wardlow is going to be fine and being gunshy about beating guys leads to 50/50 booking and there are at least two shows you could watch that have plenty of that if that's your thing.  ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Surprised nobody mentioned it but I liked the Bucks/Jurassic Express segment in the back.

As for the show I had low expectations but still thought it was pretty great.  For such a foregone conclusion match Dante woke the crowd up leading towards the finish.  I wouldn't rush anything with him but he's something special.  I also enjoyed the rest of the matches and thought Statlander/Rose went as well it should have.  I adore Nyla and hope they heat her up in the future but it's looking more and more like Kris's time to shine.

Two big things that I've grown to expect from WWE are the heel running down their beloved hometown and stories that are in "wait and see" mode before getting burned on them.  I don't mean to trash them (again) but this is how I'm used to seeing these things play out.  So it's refreshing to see Baker show love to her hometown and while it's possible she's a face going off even last week I still see her as a heel for now.  Though with Red Velvet acting like a heel seemingly out of nowhere I think they're trying too hard to build interest.

As for the "wait and see" aspect I can confidently say that's how I'm approaching it with Kenny/Christian.  There's always a chance we get burned but I feel there's some tricks up their sleeves that will work out quite nicely.

• Like 3

Christian is definitley winning the Impact belt on Friday. There’s no other finish that really makes sense.  Also, without getting deep into Impact spoilers, the next challenger lined up over there makes a lot more sense for Christian than Kenny. IYKYK

And I give them credit for thinking ahead and realizing that they were really going to need to spice up Omega/Christian to get people on board, because clearly it’s not in the top 3 title matches that fans want to see at All Out right now.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm of the belief that when they realized they had someone bigger for the PPV, they had to get Christian out of there and this is their makeup to him. Give him the Impact title and then some shenanigans to get him away from the PPV, and then have him circle back to the AEW title later on at some point.

Edited by Swift

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

Christian is definitley winning the Impact belt on Friday. There’s no other finish that really makes sense.  Also, without getting deep into Impact spoilers, the next challenger lined up over there makes a lot more sense for Christian than Kenny. IYKYK

And I give them credit for thinking ahead and realizing that they were really going to need to spice up Omega/Christian to get people on board, because clearly it’s not in the top 3 title matches that fans want to see at All Out right now.

Maybe but I don’t think they’re going to beat Omega on tv (that would diminish the win of the person that eventually beats him, IMO)and either way, I’m not confident they’re going to have a rematch on a ppv three weeks after the original. That’s very unlike AEW.

Nicko—Nick Jackson saying Luchasuarus’ block was a foul was hilarious. Anyone that played basketball knows that guy.

If Christian wins, they’re definitley gonna run it back at the PPV, title vs. title with some kind of stipulation (ladder match a la WMX?), and Kenny gets his shit back and we move on to the match people really want to see.

Christian is basically Lex Luger with a slightly longer title reign in this scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I was at the show live. Some notes that my friends and I came up with

every single segment had 1 person who was insanely over with the crowd. 

Whenever a match would end and the competitors would go back towards the tunnel, they never had time to pose. A backstage interview would pop up on the screen.  Sting was going to do his pose and Bryce rushed him into the tunnel. Sting did not look happy.

The show was excellent considering no Cody, no Black, no Miro, no Andrade, no Page. 

The Dark Elevation matches before the show were fun. Ray Lyn and Thunder Rosa was fun.  Shida looked great in her match. 

The crowd was tired for the matches after the show.  Brian Cage was in a squash match.  The main event was Evans/Angelico vs Lucha Bros.

Eddie Kingston came out to do a long promo and Brit came out to send the crowd home happy.  

Sammy Guerva/Serpentico had a spot where the went right into the barricade and it was pushed into Mark Madden's knee. Looked like he may have been legit hurt as he left right after the match.

Unlike WWE, they only had the 1 merch stand and only sold a few shirts. $35 for a shirt that you could get at hot topic for less is not a sound move Tony!!!

There is an Evil Uno meet and greet going on today and a bunch of the wrestlers will be at comic con here Saturday.  

AKA @Technico Support's dream show.

Thanks for your in person account. AEW need to do better in their merchandise stands. When I go to WWE house shows, there's about four or five merch stands mostly with the same shirts but one or two different to each stand. I always buy my merch there before the show starts. I fortunately had a walk round intermission to a different stand and picked up Sasha Banks shirt in November 2016.

• Haha 1

I wonder how much of the merch stand stuff is because most of their shit is made to order through PW tees. They might not have a ton of inventory (though this would be the best time to change that, I'd say, because they stand to make a *shitload* of shirt money in Chicago)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wonder how much of the merch stand stuff is because most of their shit is made to order through PW tees. They might not have a ton of inventory (though this would be the best time to change that, I'd say, because they stand to make a *shitload* of shirt money in Chicago)

Good point that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Not a momentous episode, but a damn good 2-hours of  tag wrestling in here. Now I think we are getting closer to those trios belts, with a lot of potential fun teams vying for them. It’s gonna be a tough choice on who should get them. Maybe they should tease that the Elite want to dominate the numbers 1, 2, and 3. But have a babyface team upset them in the finals.

Definitely feels like what will happen. They debuted (I think) a three man golden trigger for a reason I feel like (I don't remember them hitting it in the past). And with how they book things, the nice thing is they have so many credible teams to win it. They just shined up two (talented) job guys and a rookie that came out to zero pop to look credible. Dante and his brother wore masks for a while, right? He's 20 so all the leeway in the world but he sure wrestles like he's wearing a mask. Massive potential with that air though. 

2.0 are such a useful team to have around. I think they're a lot more valuable than somebody like bear country, who could be good in time but feel like they need more seasoning on the indies. 2.0 are the finished product and could work with a lot of the younger teams. No matter how many times they get waxed they could talk themselves into being over and interesting too. Shane Matthews cracks me up every time he opens his mouth. They've got a bunch of younger teams that aren't very good on the mic so 2.0 offers something pretty different and in some ways do the Best Friends routine better than the Best Friends (I'm sorry, I love Chuck in particular but yeah his character work has so far yet to fully click in aew). 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Still having it and never having lost it in the first place are the same thing so that's cool imo

But you’ve still got it implies doubt the person still has it. But Christian clearly never lost it.

Anyway… God, I love 2.0. Their mini feud with Sting is hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Man, that sequence where Matt Sydal hit a La Mistica into a grounded Cobra Clutch, then Mike Sydal did some Kama Sutra shit, followed by Dante Martin going absolutely nuts with the spots....chef's kiss.  All I could think about was how fresh this kind of action, and this whole promotion, feels, while WWE is moving back to 6'5" 260 lb college football washouts.  Who the fuck is going to watch that shit, let alone who the fuck with any talent is going to work there?

I hate to risk @John from Cincinnati's wrath but, again, I'm going to say we've all got some abused puppy syndrome from WWE's awful booking, all caught up speculating how Wardlow/Jericho would probably be a DQ since "there's no way Wardlow should be jobbing."  This is just like people wondering when Cody's going to break the no title match stip. because WWE booking has trained wrestling fans to think  stips don't mean anything.  This ? company ? doesn't ? book ? like ? that ?.  Guys at one level generally beat guys at a lower level until it's time to bring those guys up.  Wardlow is going to be fine and being gunshy about beating guys leads to 50/50 booking and there are at least two shows you could watch that have plenty of that if that's your thing.  ?

Where did the idea that big guys can't work get propagated? Wrestling history is full of guys who were big ex footballers who were awesome. For every shitty big guy who was a look and nothing else, there's a little guy who could do moves but no one would care about if they came to the ring giving away gold bars. NXT clearly got too in the weeds of little guys with beards who no one cared enough to actually watch even if they had good matches. Diversify! You can't have only one type of wrestler or everyone merges into one mass of Adam O'Gargondunns.

You've managed to miss the same argument 200 times so let's see if 201 is enough.

1. WWE sucking eggs doesn't mean AEW is good at everything and they never make mistakes.
  2. The Cody stipulation when anyone talks about it (which is never) is something they didn't need to do since they could have booked Cody exactly the same as they have without bothering with it. 
  3. Wardlow jobbing to Jericho with a baseball bat is... okay I guess... but it doesn't help anyone but Jericho overcome the odds like John Cena on steak sandwiches. This may shock you but WWE didn't invent DQ endings in order to protect talent. No one is asking for a DQ finish to 99% of the matches on AEW, just this one. The concept behind that was to put Jericho in jeopardy so when he gets to MJF, we are worried that he won't survive. Instead we are going to have Jericho go through four guys winning each match with his finish. So I'm not worried about Jericho in narrative and really don't care that he is finally getting his hands on MJF because MJF is too incompetent to be taken as a serious threat.
  • Like 1

If you’re trying to establish Trios belts as something important right out of the gate, then the best thing you could do is have the tournament finals be The Elite vs. Mox/Eddie/Darby. And then let Mox and Eddie finally beat them for something.

• Like 3

I have to say that people who long for the days of massive number of signs in the crowd like in the Attitude Era days need to rethink that watching the last couple weeks of live Dynamite.   It seems like at least 50% of the signs have almost nothing to do with AEW

• Like 1

I'm fucking bummed because ideally, Best Friends with Trent, Chuck, and OC would be the first Trios champs and win them by beating Death Triangle. But now Trent is probably on the shelf for close to a year.

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I have to say that people who long for the days of massive number of signs in the crowd like in the Attitude Era days need to rethink that watching the last couple weeks of live Dynamite.   It seems like at least 50% of the signs have almost nothing to do with AEW

I think the video game signs are funny. Dude in the front row with the Danhausen sign sucks because Danhausen sucks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Very fun show top to bottom with good wrestling all around and a great crowd as always, some random thoughts:

- Dante Martin's hot tag was something else, crowd was going crazy for him.

- The Elite / Christian segment had some quotes that had me laughing out loud
“Don rehashing his material”
“Are you finished you carney piece of shit?”
“Wait wait wait...are you saying wohohoho or nohohohoho?”

- You could hear the crowd groaning in disappointment at the Christan vs. Kenny announcement for All Out as I'm sure everyone just wants Hangman. AEW's crowd is just too nice to shit on it so they went with the safer CM Punk chant. Weird choice with the Impact Title Match this Friday so maybe something still could happen with the All Out match and Hangman

- Holy shit FUEGO vs MIRO, this match graphic got a massive pop compared to the Kenny vs. Christian one.

- Dark Order looked awesome tonight, I loved that twisting lionsault that Grayson did.

- “He beat a deadman with that very hold one time, I’ll never forget it”, see I don't mind these type of mentions to WWE, so much better than when people say "the other place I worked at".

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

Oh, and the one upside I can think of with Christian is that if he wins the Impact title, then if he loses to Kenny at All Out, you can have Christian work Impact more than AEW. It would be like an excursion for Christian and he feels more at home in Impact.

That way Christian isn't on AEW for a little bit to gum up the works, but it would have been nice for him to put someone over before working Impact for awhile in that scenario.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm fucking bummed because ideally, Best Friends with Trent, Chuck, and OC would be the first Trios champs and win them by beating Death Triangle. But now Trent is probably on the shelf for close to a year.

If the Best Friends trios titles reign is Chuck, Orange and Yuta, that would be like SCU winning the tag belts, only it's Sky and Kaz instead of the classic Kaz & Daniels version.

• Like 1

I usually watch AEW on mute but JR sounded good this week. He did a great job putting over Kenny and the Bucks in the opening match (much better than Callis who seems like he’s on a dialogue tree).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

But now Trent is probably on the shelf for close to a year.

How many major injuries has Trent had?  I think he had a torn pectoral muscle when he was with WWE.  He missed time late last year with a pec tear and something else.  He's out at the moment after having neck fusion surgery.  What am I forgetting?   I feel like maybe he got hurt in PWG shortly after he turned on Taylor.   Did he get put on the shelf when he was in NJPW?  Those last two sound sorta right, but my memory is fuzzy and Google isn't turning up anything, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Yuta on the indies has shown that he can work good as a heel.  Whether he can on a national level who knows.   So I assume that it will be Yuta driving to drive a wedge between the Best Friends to stay in group.

Edited by hammerva

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

How many major injuries has Trent had?  I think he had a torn pectoral muscle when he was with WWE.  He missed time late last year with a pec tear and something else.  He's out at the moment after having neck fusion surgery.  What am I forgetting?   I feel like maybe he got hurt in PWG shortly after he turned on Taylor.   Did he get put on the shelf when he was in NJPW?  Those last two sound sorta right, but my memory is fuzzy and Google isn't turning up anything, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Torn pec was in NJPW. He also had a torn tricep or bicep in AEW that he rehabbed and got over. And now this.