DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/11/21

Technico Support

Trent is a guy who should not have that much muscle. So fuck you JR, it's not a benefit to be all jacked up. Some bodies are better when they're built for destruction and not for show.

• Like 1

5 Labors of Jericho: Chris Jericho vs Wardlow -- Already talked about it but boarders on the absurd of Jericho popping back from so much offence. It would have probably protected Wardlow more if they didn't add to the baseball bat for the finish. AEW has a bad New Japan habit of beating a guy with multiple stuff that leads to diminishing returns. It happened in three matches this week (this was the least egregious of the lot).

Impact Tag Team Titles: The Good Brothers vs Evil Uno & Stu Grayson -- Was about what I expected with lackluster action and the heels going over. Scott D'Amore on commentary was almost shocking but how high his voice was in comparison. They didn't do a great job of explaining who he was and why he was there. He didn't add a lot to a four man booth so I'm not sure why they bothered to add him. If this was a WWE show, this would be more about the Dark Order being buried but "they're teaching Hangman how to lose" which is dumb.

Darby Allin vs RED DEATH Daniel Garcia -- Most of Garcia's heat got eaten in commercial which is a really bad idea when you are in theory trying to get him over as a new talent. As it stands, he's another guy on a roster of guys. I know everyone seems excited about 2.0 but they come off as jobbers who Sting and Darby are going to beat up every week which is what is happening. This 'feud' cannot possibly have any heat as the heels are obviously out manned.

OC, Chucky T, & Wheeler Yuta vs Hardy Party -- Too many false finishes for a meaningless 6 man. No one needs to see Isiah Kassidy kicking out at 2.9999. Finishing stretch went too long and needing multiple finishes to beat Wheeler is overkill. Wheeler continues to have no presence and no chemistry with the Best Friends. Cassidy is still over but he's on a treadmill.

Nyla Rose vs Kris Statlander -- Have we seen Statlander do a 450 splash before? If not, Excalibur already having a gimmick name for it is terrible. Quick match but still looked super awkward. 

Kenny & The Bucks vs Dante Martin & The Sydal Brothers  -- Dante had the crowd so they squashed him dead and made sure to beat him when nothing happening Mike Sydal is right there. They're pushing Dante like they're pushing Brian Pillman Jr. by having the stars going over him decisively and never letting him get over on anyone. This could honestly be the start of something if they follow up but its far more likely we won't see Dante for another 2 months on Dynamite. 

• Haha 1

I forgot to bring this up last night: I swear to God, I'm gonna light Jim Ross' Twitter up hard next time he mentions Kris Stadtlander's weight. It's been 3 or 4 times now since she returned and it's pretty fucking uncool. She's super attractive too, it doesn't even make any sense (not trying to say that in a 'settle down' way, just throwing it out to illustrate how dumb this is)

Edit: a couple posts came thru while I was typing so just want to clarify this is in reply to @Craig H point about Trent being jacked

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

I'm starting to like 2.0 a lot more now and videos like this are recent examples of why.

One thing that stuck out with this in particular is it didn't hit me until today who they remind me of.  I could be WAY off base but they remind me a lot of Peyton and Billie Kay.  It's something about their wrestling personas and how they shoot the shit that is really endearing to me.  Not sure if @BobbyWhiouxagrees but if ever there were four people to do a modern "Laverne and Shirley" it would be these four.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Lol, all he had to say was "Statlander is the only one who can rival Rose's strength," and we could all just move along. Cannot wait for him to be put to pasture. 

Yes, dude. The whole point he was making took a fucking eternity and I'm sitting there going "Stop. STOP. Stop it. Ok, surely he'll stop now..."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I forgot to bring this up last night: I swear to God, I'm gonna light Jim Ross' Twitter up hard next time he mentions Kris Stadtlander's weight. It's been 3 or 4 times now since she returned and it's pretty fucking uncool. She's super attractive too, it doesn't even make any sense (not trying to say that in a 'settle down' way, just throwing it out to illustrate how dumb this is)

Big time disagree on this. Why do people get so up in arms about this? Would you say the same thing about an MMA commentator putting over a female fighter for dropping weight and fighting in a new weight class? He's not being pervy. She busted her ass in rehab from the torn ACL. He is putting her over for transforming into a better athlete while away.

I'm not saying he doesn't say pervy shit ever. He did openly pine for a wardrobe malfunction for Anna Jay once. So he's not a total innocent here. But he's painting a picture of Statlander coming back in better shape than when she left. It's a dedication to craft story beat. Not a pervy dude talking about her body measurements.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm starting to like 2.0 a lot more now and videos like this are recent examples of why.

One thing that stuck out with this in particular is it didn't hit me until today who they remind me of.  I could be WAY off base but they remind me a lot of Peyton and Billie Kay.  It's something about their wrestling personas and how they shoot the shit that is really endearing to me.  Not sure if @BobbyWhiouxagrees but if ever there were four people to do a modern "Laverne and Shirley" it would be these four.

Matt calling Daniel Garcia 'Buffalo Soldier' got such a pop out of me. Love it

• Like 1

I could really do without JR doing the shitty backroom analysis of athletes based solely on their body type. He reminds me of the guys in that scene in Moneyball, where everyone around Billy is talking about how good a baseball player looks or how good their girlfriend looks and why they would be good for the team to sign almost solely based on that attribute. It's beyond fucking dumb.

In my opinion, which means nothing, but anyway, Kris Statlander has about the most perfect look you could ask for. Also, Nyla Rose has a good look. Chuck Taylor has a good look. I would say that maybe Acey Romero probably doesn't, but that comes more from a standpoint of being worried about his health than anything. 

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Edit: a couple posts came thru while I was typing so just want to clarify this is in reply to @Craig H point about Trent being jacked

Yeah, it totally makes no sense to bring up an athlete having noticeably lost weight as a means of praising them for their commitment to being better at their profession.

• Like 1

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Big time disagree on this. Why do people get so up in arms about this? Would you say the same thing about an MMA commentator putting over a female fighter for dropping weight and fighting in a new weight class? He's not being pervy. She busted her ass in rehab from the torn ACL. He is putting her over for transforming into a better athlete while away.

I'm not saying he doesn't say pervy shit ever. He did openly pine for a wardrobe malfunction for Anna Jay once. So he's not a total innocent here. But he's painting a picture of Statlander coming back in better shape than when she left. It's a dedication to craft story beat. Not a pervy dude talking about her body measurements.

I think we might be having a miscommunication - I don't doubt his intent was more toward what you initially wrote about weight classes in shoot sports, but the way it came out was super-shitty. I don't think he was a pervert for it, but him being excited Kris dropped "to an appropriate weight" kinda reeks of telling Tony Jones to put on 25 lbs of muscle, no?

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think we might be having a miscommunication - I don't doubt his intent was more toward what you initially wrote about weight classes in shoot sports, but the way it came out was super-shitty. I don't think he was a pervert for it, but him being excited Kris dropped "to an appropriate weight" kinda reeks of telling Tony Jones to put on 25 lbs of muscle, no?

The fact that she moves better in the ring and is choosing to wrestle at this weight would indicate that she think it’s the appropriate weight for her, no?

20 minutes ago, Goodear said:

5 Labors of Jericho: Chris Jericho vs Wardlow -- Already talked about it but boarders on the absurd of Jericho popping back from so much offence. It would have probably protected Wardlow more if they didn't add to the baseball bat for the finish. AEW has a bad New Japan habit of beating a guy with multiple stuff that leads to diminishing returns. It happened in three matches this week (this was the least egregious of the lot).

Impact Tag Team Titles: The Good Brothers vs Evil Uno & Stu Grayson -- Was about what I expected with lackluster action and the heels going over. Scott D'Amore on commentary was almost shocking but how high his voice was in comparison. They didn't do a great job of explaining who he was and why he was there. He didn't add a lot to a four man booth so I'm not sure why they bothered to add him. If this was a WWE show, this would be more about the Dark Order being buried but "they're teaching Hangman how to lose" which is dumb.

Darby Allin vs RED DEATH Daniel Garcia -- Most of Garcia's heat got eaten in commercial which is a really bad idea when you are in theory trying to get him over as a new talent. As it stands, he's another guy on a roster of guys. I know everyone seems excited about 2.0 but they come off as jobbers who Sting and Darby are going to beat up every week which is what is happening. This 'feud' cannot possibly have any heat as the heels are obviously out manned.

OC, Chucky T, & Wheeler Yuta vs Hardy Party -- Too many false finishes for a meaningless 6 man. No one needs to see Isiah Kassidy kicking out at 2.9999. Finishing stretch went too long and needing multiple finishes to beat Wheeler is overkill. Wheeler continues to have no presence and no chemistry with the Best Friends. Cassidy is still over but he's on a treadmill.

Nyla Rose vs Kris Statlander -- Have we seen Statlander do a 450 splash before? If not, Excalibur already having a gimmick name for it is terrible. Quick match but still looked super awkward. 

Kenny & The Bucks vs Dante Martin & The Sydal Brothers  -- Dante had the crowd so they squashed him dead and made sure to beat him when nothing happening Mike Sydal is right there. They're pushing Dante like they're pushing Brian Pillman Jr. by having the stars going over him decisively and never letting him get over on anyone. This could honestly be the start of something if they follow up but its far more likely we won't see Dante for another 2 months on Dynamite. 

The area 451 has been used on occasion before, it's her alternate finisher.

• Like 1

Just now, Bryan said:

The fact that she moves better in the ring and is choosing to wrestle at this weight would indicate that she think it’s the appropriate weight for her, no?

I don't disagree, my issue is just the way the message came across. "Appropriate weight" was the worst possible fucking way of putting it

• Like 1

His intent is to put people over. Talk up positives and hide negatives. Training your ass off in rehab and transforming your body shows major dedication. To ignore that accomplishment it is to do a disservice to the performer. I get that she's a female. But it should be talked about equally for both. Females shouldn't be exempt from being put over for working hard on bodies. They work just as hard as the men, and should get credit for it. But I've seen lots of people shaming JR for talking about it.

I don't have a problem with telling Tony Jones to put on 25 pounds of muscle. We know he was hinting with veiled terms about using steroids. So no that's not okay. But asking someone to put 25 pounds of muscle on without the steroid implications is totally acceptable. Cosmetically, and practically in use, adding muscle helps a performer. Like someone saying Trent is too big for his frame. No Trent is exactly what a high level athlete at that size should look like. He's clearly natural and not using steroids. His injuries are freak accidents. You can't just say it's because he has a good body. Because Ryback had a juiced up body but he didn't get injured all the time. Trent gets injured because Trent takes a lot of risks doing things a guy his sized normally doesn't.

I'm not out here trying to tote the line for JR. Just sometimes I see some weird group think on the body look stuff here. No one should be body shaming out of shape people in this day and age. But yall also shouldn't be body shaming the people that are in good shape as if there's something wrong or negative about that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Goodear said:

know everyone seems excited about 2.0 but they come off as jobbers who Sting and Darby are going to beat up every week which is what is happening.

In fairness, you have literally described what their characters are expressly supposed to be—they are doofuses who don’t realize they’re punching WAY over their weight.

What you’re thinking is a bug is actually a feature.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

His intent is to put people over. Talk up positives and hide negatives. Training your ass off in rehab and transforming your body shows major dedication. To ignore that accomplishment it is to do a disservice to the performer. I get that she's a female. But it should be talked about equally for both. Females shouldn't be exempt from being put over for working hard on bodies. They work just as hard as the men, and should get credit for it. But I've seen lots of people shaming JR for talking about it.

I don't have a problem with telling Tony Jones to put on 25 pounds of muscle. We know he was hinting with veiled terms about using steroids. So no that's not okay. But asking someone to put 25 pounds of muscle on without the steroid implications is totally acceptable. Cosmetically, and practically in use, adding muscle helps a performer. Like someone saying Trent is too big for his frame. No Trent is exactly what a high level athlete at that size should look like. He's clearly natural and not using steroids. His injuries are freak accidents. You can't just say it's because he has a good body. Because Ryback had a juiced up body but he didn't get injured all the time. Trent gets injured because Trent takes a lot of risks doing things a guy his sized normally doesn't.

I'm not out here trying to tote the line for JR. Just sometimes I see some weird group think on the body look stuff here. No one should be body shaming out of shape people in this day and age. But yall also shouldn't be body shaming the people that are in good shape as if there's something wrong or negative about that.

Hey man, just so we're clear, I don't disagree with a single word of your opening paragraph. As noted above, I think that's what he was *going for* it just isn't where we ended up. I don't think our disagreement on this is so much philosophical as much as it is semantical. I just simply did not like the way it was put across. 

• Like 2