DVDVR Message Board

On 8/14/2021 at 3:15 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The best act in late-era ECW; the Sinister Minister, Mikey Whipwreck, and Yoshihiro Tajiri.

I posted that bottom one in the promos thread recently I think. The 1 I was looking for is even funnier! It was The Sinister Minister hitting on Jasmine St Claire then The Blue Meanie enters and takes whatever double entrendre Minister was using to mean he wanted a 3 way and Minister’s reaction was like something out of a cartoon. He went from evil bad intentions to YIIIIIIPE! And almost shit himself lol!

There was also the 1 where Francine was eating a giant sub that was similarly funny.

Then Missy Hyatt’s return and “reunion” with Jack Victory.

Might have all been the same skit somehow? But I think it was 2 separate skits/promos.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, twiztor said:

i watched the 2012 "Extreme Reunion" show put on by Shane Douglas yesterday. 

maybe i just wasn't in the right mood for it, but ooof. not good. Every match went about 10 minutes too long, the crowd was horrible, the wrestlers seemed unmotivated, and of fucking course Shane put himself over in the main event.  I think it's safe to say that 10 years after ECW went out of business, reunions have lost their luster.

crowd is already annoying by booing the commentary guy. He does an OK job of trying to put over ECW and Joey Styles, but the crowd ain't having it.

one match, Al Snow vs. CW Anderson, was hyped by the ring announcer as a "wrestling purist's dream", so of course Al Snow starts off by arguing with the Head. And Anderson locks on an armbar for the better part of 5 minutes. the crowd is shitting all over this, and i don't even blame them. way too long and not interesting.

Axl and Balls had a halfhearted hardcore match. sure there was a cheesegrater, but at this point it is painfully obvious these guys are just going through the motions.

then there was a "tag team match", with Angel (of da Baldies) taking on the Gangstas. Except it was never explained why Angel didn't have a partner. And they brawled around for too long. And then two guys who i don't know and didn't pay attention to their names, hit the ring, attacked New Jack and Mustafa, and then everybody left. no finish. The crowd booed the hell out of this. 

Pitbull Gary Wolfe was supposed to wrestle Raven, but Raven brought out a bunch of jabronis (including "Cripple H"), who Pitbull beat up instead. Sandman also came out. there was a brawl. Pitbull pinned one of the nobodies and the crowd didn't take it well.

Jerry Lynn squared off with "Crowbar" Devon Storm in what was easily the best match of the night. crisp moves, good action, and the crowd was into it. kudos.

then the main event happened. This is the event where Sabu was found unresponsive in his hotel room, so obviously he's not wrestling. Shane is in the ring making the announcement/cutting a promo, but the crowd has fucking had it with this event. They are completely uninterested in anything Shane has to say (chants of "Refund" and "Fuck You Shane"). Out comes 2 Cold Scorpio, and the angle is "what if Scorpio had beaten Douglas back in '94 for the NWA World Title". they have a decent little match. Nothing great, but the crowd hates on the first half. We get two ref bumps, false finishes on either side (by now the crowd is into it and totally behind Scorp), and TWO! masked man interferences (one is Kevin Sullivan, the other is Tod Gordon). Then Shane wins with a belly-to-belly and the crowd is pissed. 

just a completely tone deaf show. i'm going to give Extreme Rising #2 a shot next week, but it better be a marked improvement or i'm cutting out.

Mike Johnson did a bus trip for this (the first in several years) because so many of us emailed him the second this was announced wanting it to happen and he filled the bus in record time. After the fiasco of a show Mike got on the bus, grabbed the PA mic and apologized for what a disaster the show was. People who paid for commemorate chairs were handed plain folded chairs signed by a few of the guys and people on the bus took them and threw them in a dumpster near the Queens stop. The promotion realized what a disaster it was and offered anyone on the bus comp tickets to their show in Queens the next month. Of the 60 or so people on the bus I believe 4 people including myself took them up on the offer. Sad as the show was a 180 from the first but judging from the crowd of 130 or so people the damage had already been done.

• Sad 1

For as physically impressive as he looked and the style he was able to work in ECW, was there any less intimidating promo than Mike Awesome? This thread has me rewatching some later-era Hardcore TV (I had long since stopped buying block of TV on VHS by the time Awesome returned to the company) and man, he was such a terrible talker. Pairing him with Jeff Jones, who was also bad, did him no favors. The episode I was watching was right after he attacked Spike Dudley's girlfriend and left her a bloody mess and the promo is just laughable. He's portraying "badass" by literally growling like an animal. Spike himself cuts a far more intimidating promo in response.

My favourite is the Sid one from 92 WCW where he yells into the wrong camera and says he's an "Unpottsable... Pots! Stop! Object!".

EDIT: This one!

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 2

watched Extreme Rising 2 the other day. @sabremikenailed it when he said this show was a complete 180 from the last. Also, this was held in a gymnasium (and looks like it) and the crowd was SPARSE. cagematch cites attendance as 250, but i think they were being generous.

first gripe: there's no commentary. Why should i give a shit about two guys i don't know fighting on an ECW reunion show? Do they have history? where did they come from? 

Shane Douglas comes out to cut a promo and talks about how the "internet" shit all over his last show, but he thought it was great. the crowd actually seems to agree with him for some reason. Maybe they didn't watch it. He introduces a pair of luchadores that nobody in that building had ever heard of and they do fine. The match is actually pretty decent, but it's 2012. Just because it was revolutionary in ECW in 1995 doesn't mean it will even get a reaction. 

In the main event, Matt Hardy beats Jerry Lynn (this felt wrong to me. Matt was still a decent worker here, but Lynn should definitely have gone over).

Rapid fire other matches: Homicide pinning Devon Storm (in which Crowbar takes a bunch of bumps....no surprise), Luke Hawx upsetting Stevie Richards, Pitbull Gary Wolfe beating CW Anderson (a match that i actually expected more from. it was quick and the finish was abrupt), FBI pinning the makeshift team of Blue Balls (Blue Meanie & Balls Mahoney, who cement their tag team post-match), and Sabu getting a win over "Greek God" Papadon in the opener (this should've been little more than a squash, but it limps along to over the 8 minute mark).

ok, i'm in for the third card, which takes place the next night. i have to take these one show at a time.

• Like 2

A ton of alltime great ECW stuff hasn’t even been mentioned! It kind of turned into a forgotten gems thread besides the listmanias in the first 2 posts and it delivered in that regard. So add that with everything ECW was known for and you see how great it was. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

Years ago Powerslam Productions held a show in a strip mall church in Picayune MS. This was right after Luke Hawx won the Extreme Rising title off Stevie Richards.

So Hawx defended the title against one of the guys he was training down in NOLA at the Wildkat school. PRetty sure Luke still has the Extreme Rising belt.

ok, Extreme Rising 3 is a legitimately good show.

Bestia 666 vs. Pesadilla (these are the same two luchadores from last night's show) put on a GREAT match. it's a 2 out of 3 falls match where falls count anywhere and there's hardcore weapons involved. if you haven't seen it, this one is worth checking out.

Stevie Richards faces Luke Hawx in a rematch from last night. and this is a pretty good match too. Stevie shows a lot of babyface fire and the crowd is here all day for it.

main event is a triple threat between Jerry Lynn, Homicide, and Matt Hardy. solid match, no complaints.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ok, i have started to/tried to watch Extreme Rising 4 on three separate occasions now, and I'm just not feeling it. i don't know if it's the presentation,  the production, the performers, or what, but i just can't get into it at all. feels bland and uninteresting.  damn shame after coming off a fun card in ER3. 

thus officially ends my ECW watch.  next up, another promotion i have no history with (albeit a much shorter tenure), Wrestling Society X.

• Sad 1

I just returned from a Battleground Championship Wrestling show at the 2300 (nee ECW) Arena. I post since it was mostly an ECW tribute show. Raven, Little Guido, RVD. Bill Alphonso, Bully Ray and Sandman were all there. A fairly solid & entertaining card but no amazing matches. No blood or plunder. Also appearing was Buddy Murphy (easily the worker of the night by far), Bobby Fish (disappointing), Enzo Amore facing Ricky Morton (most amusing match of the night), Matt Hardy, Gun Club v. Bear Country, Van Dam's stripper ladyfriend, Paul Ellering (accepting an award for the Road Warriors), Mark Henry (hosting). They are coming back in December with Rhino and Kevin Sullivan and some other  folks I can't remember. Sabu was a no-show. It was a very very very very Philly show that would not have come off so well in any other venue.

- RAF

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
Rememberings: also PCO, Tony Nese, Laredo Kid, Psycho Clown allegedly to be on next card.
  • Like 3

On 9/18/2021 at 4:53 PM, twiztor said:

ok, i have started to/tried to watch Extreme Rising 4 on three separate occasions now, and I'm just not feeling it. i don't know if it's the presentation,  the production, the performers, or what, but i just can't get into it at all. feels bland and uninteresting.  damn shame after coming off a fun card in ER3. 

thus officially ends my ECW watch.  next up, another promotion i have no history with (albeit a much shorter tenure), Wrestling Society X.

WSX is kinda fun. The episodes are so short nothing overstays its welcome