DVDVR Message Board

RIP Bobby Eaton (1958-2021)

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

Even the bowdlerized version of Chase created to avoid lawsuits wasn't an entirely horrible MX entrance theme.

I actually feel like this is a way better song than the real thing. I actually put on the real Chase while working out, and was waiting for the catchy hook so I can pick up the pace. It never came.

RIP Earl of Eaton

• Like 1

I just remembered that the Bobby Eaton piece of the 1001 was the last piece I did before I started hating wrestling again

https://deathvalleydriver.com/1001_bobbyeaton/

Might need to do a Part 2

(Side note - half the video links are dead since I think I had grabbed a lot from Monsoon Classic's old YT page)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Theres apparently a gofund me page for bobbys family. Since Jim RT the link, i presume its legit, but wont post it  just in case its not. Search it out if you are interested. 

I saw that but then there was a tweet saying according to Dundee there's no legitimate Gofundme pages that the family signed off on.  So I would proceed with caution until there's confirmation it's real.

• Like 1

This gets shared a lot but this is legitimately hilarious to watch. RIP Beautiful Bobby.

I still remembered when I first watched wrestling and the first match I saw was the Midnights in WarGames at Great American Bash '89.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After watching a bunch of stuff over the last day or so, I think it's pretty clear that Bobby Eaton is one of the legitimately funniest workers ever.  The best part about it is that he knew when to turn the comedy off when he was on top and knew how to turn on the viciousness.  Say what you want about him being the nicest guy in the business, he knew how to turn the switch from stooging goof to convincing ass kicker as well as anyone in the history of wrestling.

• Like 3

Like everyone else, I was thinking about Bobby, and spent a good 2 hours watching old Midnights matches on YouTube. Even as a teenager in the early-mid 90s I respected Bobby... And that was way before I got on the internet. You just respected that guy in the ring. 

Edited by Wyld Samurai

For those wondering, JC's pod this week will be a tribute to Bobby, recorded on Saturday according to Brian. 

I don't think there is footage of Bobby and Barry wrestling on their knees on house shows to amuse themselves. As you might imagine, they apparently were just as good on their knees as most people are on 2 feet.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I actually feel like this is a way better song than the real thing. I actually put on the real Chase while working out, and was waiting for the catchy hook so I can pick up the pace. It never came.

RIP Earl of Eaton

i agree. i love the altered version of it they used.

Edited by bazzil
  • Like 1

I can't say much that hasn't already been said, but I first came across Beautiful Bobby Eaton on WCW Power Hour in 1991 which Sky started showing alongside WWE when they took over their competitor. I didn't know about the Midnights and he was basically just working against enhancement guys, but even as 12 year old fan I could see that he was something special.

Anyone who is saying the ripoff Midnight's theme is actually a better track than Moroder's The Chase is outta their minds, but it probably is the best ripoff wrestling theme ever.

16 minutes ago, bazzil said:

i agree. i love the altered version of it they used.

It's just such a damn shame they couldn't even be bothered to use THAT one for all MX and Eaton matches for the Network. Hell, even the New Midnight Express entrance theme is way better than whatever that thing they ended up using is supposed to be. Chase and its variants were the first thing that hooked me to MX even before I saw their work.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 8/6/2021 at 8:40 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

RIP Earl of Eaton

There's a remix that was actually pretty good for this, at least for me. Your stationary bike mileage may vary.

I was on vacation when I got the news of Bobby Eaton's passing and I was in such a state of shock I zoned out for most of the day. The Midnight Express was my all time favorite tag team growing up to the point where I made every single excuse as to why they lost the US titles to the Steiners (I was 6 lol) who were my 4th favorite tag team. When other kids were trying to be Macho Man with his elbow drop, I was jumping off my bunk bed trying to do Alabama Jams and knee drops like Bobby Eaton.  I loved his singles run and was happy seeing him thrive post Midnights and even when he was phased down, I was always excited to see him on my tv screen. Thankfully I had the pleasure of meeting him and Stan a few years ago and he was extremely friendly and extremely humble. Rest in Peace, Beautiful Bobby.

Watch the match where Bobby & Dennis win the NWA tag straps. Watch Bobby take that racket shot. Then watch the post match interview, where Bobby is still selling the racket shot pretending to be barely concious as Cornette runs his mouth. Still makes laugh to his day

James

I had no doubt Jim’s tribute would do Bobby justice. But Jimmy’s pain and grief was quite visceral. I wanted to cry with Jim and give him a big hug. 

But if the stories about Bobby are true, he’s probably looking down on us wondering what the big fuss is all about while handing us boxes of Kleenex from the sky. 

• Like 2