DVDVR Message Board

RIP Bobby Eaton (1958-2021)

23 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

I had no doubt Jim’s tribute would do Bobby justice. But Jimmy’s pain and grief was quite visceral. I wanted to cry with Jim and give him a big hug. 

But if the stories about Bobby are true, he’s probably looking down on us wondering what the big fuss is all about while handing us boxes of Kleenex from the sky. 

I wanted to give Jim Cornette a hug. Never heard him break like that before. It's cool how the wrestling community has come together to pay tribute to Beautiful Bobby Eaton, a great wrestler and a great man period.

• Like 1

Bobby and Stan got me into wrestling.   My all time favorite jobber squashes are Midnight squashes.

It sure as hell wasn't the Big Daddy matches I grew up watching.

Got to meet him in 2018.   Could tell he was an incredibly nice guy, and Cornette knew where every dollar in the room was.  

The show afterwards was great too.  Became a fan of Josh Woods that day not knowing who he was.

We also lost Bobby Bowden if you haven’t heard. Heaven got the 2 best Bobbys that ever lived this week. I’m a lifelong Seminole fan as hard as I’m a lifelong rasslin fan. 

One more thing about Bobby’s face/TV Title run. The actual face run was short and the title reign was even shorter but it seemed like it lasted 100 years because it was so fresh, yet still so much of something we knew - Beautiful Bobby. Mean heels who turned face always worked, but it was perfect when Bobby did it. I hadn’t quite started watching and coherently absorbing what I saw every week when they were last faces in 1988. Therefore Bobby was a lifetime heel to me. And he was good at it. He had that same Arn Anderson mean af 40 year old math teacher heel look. I don’t know why that made us want to see their faces get smashed in but it did. So anyway when he finally turned face it was so fresh and fun to me. 

And it went on to deliver. And in hindsight think of it this way. The guy was loved so much that they let him pin Flair, then Arn clean for the belt in the same month. Obviously Arn was pinned every now and then but not for that TV Title at that point. I don’t know if you ever noticed during the Flair match on commentary but the announcers were just so happy to see it and it was genuine. They kept saying they’d been waiting all their lives to see the match. 

Man the guy was just great. I’ll never forget him or Bobby Bowden. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

I haven’t listened to Jim Cornette yet. Between this, Bobby Bowden and a few other things I don’t want to listen until my mind is ready because I know it won’t be small potatoes. This was Beautiful Bobby, the guy Jim Cornette thought was best at the profession he (Jim) loved more than anybody. That’s without even getting into the well known opinion that Bobby was the nicest guy that ever lived. 

I agree with the person who said Bobby is looking down handing out kleenexes. Even from up there, if there’s 1 person still trying to help everybody down here just feel a little better, it’s him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

We also lost Bobby Bowden if you haven’t heard. Heaven got the 2 best Bobbys that ever lived this week. I’m a lifelong Seminole fan as hard as I’m a lifelong rasslin fan. 

One more thing about Bobby’s face/TV Title run. The actual face run was short and the title reign was even shorter but it seemed like it lasted 100 years because it was so fresh, yet still so much of something we knew - Beautiful Bobby. Mean heels who turned face always worked, but it was perfect when Bobby did it. I hadn’t quite started watching and coherently absorbing what I saw every week when they were last faces in 1988. Therefore Bobby was a lifetime heel to me. And he was good at it. He had that same Arn Anderson mean af 40 year old math teacher heel look. I don’t know why that made us want to see their faces get smashed in but it did. So anyway when he finally turned face it was so fresh and fun to me. 

And it went on to deliver. And in hindsight think of it this way. The guy was loved so much that they let him pin Flair, then Arn clean for the belt in the same month. Obviously Arn was pinned every now and then but not for that TV Title at that point. I don’t know if you ever noticed during the Flair match on commentary but the announcers were just so happy to see it and it was genuine. They kept saying they’d been waiting all their lives to see the match. 

Man the guy was just great. I’ll never forget him or Bobby Bowden. 

I didn't see Eaton's singles face run live, but going back over the years and watching many of those big matches (Arn, Flair, Taylor) multiple times, he was a really good face that should not have been turned back so quickly (even though he joined an awesome group in the Dangerous Alliance). Also, his match right before the face turn with Brad Armstrong at Wrestler War '91 is a clinic with two great workers. On a related note, the Midnights face run in late 1988 and 1989 is also a lot of fun for something different, particularly the feud with the SST (and the rare really good War Games match without color at Bash '89). They should have kept the TV title on him for a few months before dropping it to Austin. Later on in his career, I would have loved to have seen the Blue Bloods gets a run with the tag tiles (should have given them the run they gave Bunk and Slater). 

• Like 1

As a Cornette listener who enjoys the "normal shows" a lot more than many, I was actually really happy how Brian Last and JC did this show. There was just a focus on Bobby Eaton's life and it was incredibly moving to hear Cornette's genuine grief. He truly loved Eaton and if I listen to what everyone says about him, I can see why. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

As a Cornette listener who enjoys the "normal shows" a lot more than many, I was actually really happy how Brian Last and JC did this show. There was just a focus on Bobby Eaton's life and it was incredibly moving to hear Cornette's genuine grief. He truly loved Eaton and if I listen to what everyone says about him, I can see why. 

I wish it was the many who enjoyed the “normal” show and not the TV reviews and politics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wish it was the many who enjoyed the “normal” show and not the TV reviews and politics.

The straight laced deep dives into the history of territories are amazing...the politics and religious rantings are a hard pass.

But yes, the tribute to Bobby was great.

• Like 3

My favorite guys to talk about for no reason, when I’m just in the mood to talk about rasslin for no reason, are guys like Bobby, Tracey Smothers, the Armstrongs, etc. Those of course are those rare guys who would go anywhere on any card at any time like we have discussed before. I listened to the show today and obviously we had a reason to talk about Bobby Eaton today but I could have listen to that any day. Same goes for the Tracey Smothers show he did when he passed.

I like how Jim Cornette still laughed about Bobby’s weak stomach. You could tell those guys were never not picking on each other, yet never not ready to beat anybody else’s ass who messed with 1 of them. I have that same weak stomach btw lol!

Has it been mentioned that the Road Warriors lost clean to the Midnight Express when they finished up in Memphis? So Bobby Eaton got to beat Arn for a belt that was his as much as the World Title was Flair’s, and Flair in the first fall on the 2/3 falls match, within a month. Beat the ROAD WARRIORS and could have beat Goldberg if you believe that ghost story. Might as well count it ftw. 

40 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Has it been mentioned that the Road Warriors lost clean to the Midnight Express when they finished up in Memphis? So Bobby Eaton got to beat Arn for a belt that was his as much as the World Title was Flair’s, and Flair in the first fall on the 2/3 falls match, within a month. Beat the ROAD WARRIORS and could have beat Goldberg if you believe that ghost story. Might as well count it ftw. 

Except they wrestled the next  night in St Louis, where the Roadies didnt want to job so the finish was Ellering pinning Cornette, who werent actualy in the match. 

47 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Except they wrestled the next  night in St Louis, where the Roadies didnt want to job so the finish was Ellering pinning Cornette, who werent actualy in the match. 

I was in no way putting over the Road Warriors beyond that 1 match don’t worry. They were Road Warriors alright. They hit the road every time they had to do business. And if they had to take the road back and forth between continents they would do that. Just ask the Steiners.