DVDVR Message Board

SUICIDE SQUAD (Gunn, 2021) - Spoiler Discussion

RIPPA

General rules applies

No need for spoiler boxes if you are discussing things from the movie

Please continue to use spoiler boxes if posting more than 1 image (or for giant fucking images)

A massive step up from the first film. Far more fun and better written all around. Every returning character has more to them save for one. I am a little disappointed Waller is still close to her current practically a villain in comics version, but she does still feel better characterized here. Cena was fun and worked pretty well opposite Elba. In general it was nice seeing something that felt more similar in spirit with the comics.

• Like 2

This felt like a big-budget B movie, in a good way.  Very violent and funny and weird and touching at the same time.  I was a little worried this would just be "Guardians of the Galaxy, but DC!", but it definitely wasn't. 

• Like 4

I really liked it. Best DC movie in a long, long time. I thought Cena and Elba were both great but unlike the first film I liked the whole team not just one or two standouts.

This was my first time in a cinema since Rise of Skywalker and it was a pleasant experience.  Everyone wore a mask until settled in their seats and all the seats were socially distanced by the cinema automatically.

• Like 2

Second best DC movie behind Wonder Woman and a gigantic step in the right direction for the DCEU in general.   I was a bit bummed by the high profile body count, but they're the Suicide Squad and it was cool to see Gunn use GoT rules and make it seem like anyone could die at any time.

This movie might have the second best soundtrack of collected songs since Grosse Point Blank.

Edited by J.T.

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was a bit bummed by the high profile body count, but they're the Suicide Squad and it was cool to see Gunn use GoT rules and make it seem like anyone could die at any time.

It did feel like a bit much. Typically in the various series you didn't get this many deaths on a mission.

The part of me that loves obscure characters loved some love for C and D list villains.

im not a fan of hyperviolence, esp for comedy.

idris was good, Cena was good, the girl i dont know was good, Robbie was okay. 

best thing i already knew. The cameo by Ostrander. 

Was impressed how Gunn took a silly character like Starro and make it completely terrifying.  Only DC could come up with an alien that takes over people's minds by creating offspring that attach to you face and shit up your nose (starfish anatomy).  Sometimes I wonder if that was something the writers tried to slip past the Comic Code Authority.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, Eivion said:

It did feel like a bit much. Typically in the various series you didn't get this many deaths on a mission.

I am guessing that this is the way to rotate in new villains to join Task Force X.  Also it wouldn't be much of a Suicide Squad if no one died.

I was particularly upset when Peacemaker killed Flagg, though.  That sucked.

The kid that played Ratcatcher II took the ball and ran with it, didn't she?  MILLION BILLION STARS~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am guessing that this is the way to rotate in new villains to join Task Force X.  Also it wouldn't be much of a Suicide Squad if no one died.

Typically in the Ostrander series they would actually switch people out depending on the mission. I think it just ended up being such a high count because we had one team die as a distraction and to generally show off the stakes from the getgo. I didn't hate it, just way more than I thought, and like you I was sad to see Flagg go. He was so much more this time around so it sucked for sure.

• Like 2

Killing one team to set up the other is one of my least favorite spy tropes, probably because of the first M:I movie. 

I never watched the first one, so I was surprised not to see certain characters from Ostrander run like Punch and Jewelee (prob too similar to Harley) or Nightshade. 

It was a nice movie, the most comic book looking film in quite a while (lots of shots could have come straight from a hypothetical Suicide Squad comic).

It did make me a little sad, because Starro being straight up Starro is something I never thought I would see up on a movie screen, and it brings into focus just how dull most comic book movies are.  But how does one top Starro?

Edited by Bustronaut

Re: topping Starro --- Well, if they just let Gunn go insane and do whatever the fuck he wants (they should do this), why not something ridiculous like the Crime Syndicate of America.  I'd pay good money to see Ultraman, Superwoman, and Owlman go to war with the squad.  Also, it would be a good way to re-introduce Luthor.  (Also, get Roman Reigns as Barracuda! (evil Aquaman))

As for this movie, I loved it.  When they killed Weasel within the first 2 minutes, I knew I was in for a good time. Definitely had no idea who'd live or die. I can't wait for Peacemaker's series, because Cena's going to be such a hammy dickhead throughout.  Viola Davis played Waller like she was going to have a stroke whenever they did anything wrong.  

And god damn it, I never thought I'd care about fucking Ratcatcher 2 or Polka-Dot Man.  

Great, great job. 

• Like 4

I approve of Storm Reid's I Am An Adult Now role being one where she says the word fuck as many times as possible as opposed to a role that includes brief nudity and stripper poles.

I laughed my fucking ass off for nearly the whole thing. This was easily my favorite DC movie. So, so, so good. Like Dolfan said, the moment Weasel "dies" from drowning, I laughed so hard and knew James Gunn hit another homerun. There were a lot of legit shocking moments too.

The one puzzling thing is that Peacekeeper is such a piece of shit that I don't see myself wanting to watch a series about him doing Waller's wet work, but that doesn't have much to do with this movie. 

31 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I appreciated the gender progressiveness of the Corto Maltese military.

I naturally marked for the Dim Mak dialogue that led to the murders in the back of the armored van.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The one puzzling thing is that Peacekeeper is such a piece of shit that I don't see myself wanting to watch a series about him doing Waller's wet work, but that doesn't have much to do with this movie. 

I didn't think he was all that bad. 

He obviously did not want to carry out his orders, but with an explosive device in his head and 10 years off of his sentence, what could he really do?  He looked genuinely remorseful after killing Flagg and I didn't really fall out with him until he tried to kill Ratcatcher in cold blood.  That was not cool.

I thought it was funny that Peacemaker took himself so seriously while wearing such an incredibly silly costume (IT'S NOT A TOILET BOWL!  IT'S A BEACON OF FREEDOM!) and I enjoyed the who's the better killer rivalry he had going on with Bloodsport.

And speaking of Bloodsport, did his helmet have a Xenomorph mouth as the chin guard?  It was hilarious to see James Gunn invert the Captain America Assembles The Avengers scene when Bloodsport rallied what was left of the Suicide Squad to attack Starro.  NANAUE!  NUM NUMS!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1