DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/4/2021

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So it’s a win-win. 

Unless you’re goal is actually selling ppvs.

If the Hangman and Omega reports are true the only feud they’ve built for the ppv in exactly a month from today is Jericho vs MJF. 

My prediction is that Wardlow dominates the match but doesn’t pick up the win after several minutes, so MJF gets frustrated and either orders him to use a weapon or intervenes himself resulting in Jericho winning by dq (I believe TK said in an interview he didn’t think they utilized dq’s enough) but Wardlow still looking strong.

That way they still get the ppv match they’ve been building towards for almost a year and you’ve planted more seeds for Wardlow eventually splitting with MJF.

Anyway, this was a decent show but I’m really looking forward to next week (I assume they’re going to try and make a really good impression with the debut of Rampage) and especially the week after.

36 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Omega's Jorts were ********

Black's skull thingy did make me think of HHH, but I suppose Papa H is probably at least somewhat proud.

grr.gif

The face Triple H pulls still makes me LOL. The look with the snort.

Not really liking how they've booked Page and the Dark Order past couple weeks.  Guessing Page wouldn't have minded if his (former?) friends ran in to save him from a 5-on-1 beatdown.  Uno and Grayson kinda looked like a-holes holding back the Dark Order while Page gets the stuffing knocked out of him 20 feet away.  Feels like that segment should have taken place a couple weeks down the road and ended with DO trying to save their friend even though he told them to leave him alone.

• Like 2

Count me in for Black's mask giving me Midsommar or Heredity vibes. Extremely creepy. I dug the plain black shorts, pads, and boots look. When you look like Black you don't need flashy gear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Ratings came out before the ahow. Christian's win lifted him above Jack Jungle Perry Boy, somehow. Maybe JB loses a match in YouTube land early next week.

Could be setting up Jungle Boy for Miro at one of the big shows coming up?

7 hours ago, killsteve said:

Jericho vs Juvy was alright when they were just wailing on each other, but all the flying and lucha stuff was fugly. Not sure if Juvy is a full-time active wrestler these days but they looked like they weren't on the same page with a lot of stuff. Finish looked good at least and Jericho does look like an old, tired, beat up guy right now, which is fitting for the story.

That spot where Jericho reversed the top rope rana into what looked like a botched Styles Clash and ended up in the Walls was concerning.

52 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Not really liking how they've booked Page and the Dark Order past couple weeks.  Guessing Page wouldn't have minded if his (former?) friends ran in to save him from a 5-on-1 beatdown.  Uno and Grayson kinda looked like a-holes holding back the Dark Order while Page gets the stuffing knocked out of him 20 feet away.  Feels like that segment should have taken place a couple weeks down the road and ended with DO trying to save their friend even though he told them to leave him alone.

I would have been fine with a rewrite where the Dark Order runs out to make the save and in the aftermath, Page shoves one of them down or something and leaves them hanging in the ring. You follow that up with a 15-30 second segment in the back of Page telling Marvez that he wasn't kidding about keeping away from him. Later on when he needs help, you can do a variation on this segment.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Not really liking how they've booked Page and the Dark Order past couple weeks.  Guessing Page wouldn't have minded if his (former?) friends ran in to save him from a 5-on-1 beatdown.  Uno and Grayson kinda looked like a-holes holding back the Dark Order while Page gets the stuffing knocked out of him 20 feet away.  

Page is a cowboy doing cowboy shit.  Uno & Grayson honored their promise not to interfere.  That's what grown men do.  I was perfectly satisfied with that booking.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Page is a cowboy doing cowboy shit.  Uno & Grayson honored their promise not to interfere.  That's what grown men do.  I was perfectly satisfied with that booking.

Yeah, they telegraphed it perfectly for me, which I'm not one to do the WWE comparisons even though I'm about to do that, but it was refreshing to how WWE does beat down segments.

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Yeah, they telegraphed it perfectly for me, which I'm not one to do the WWE comparisons even though I'm about to do that, but it was refreshing to how WWE does beat down segments.

Same.  Page should not get pissy at DO in the aftermath because DO did exactly what he asked them to do. 

Now whether or not Uno & Stu are secretly salty about Page telling them to back off and totally intended to allow Page to take the horse whippin' that he had coming to him is heel turn fantasy booking.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Same.  Page should not get pissy at DO in the aftermath because DO did exactly what he asked them to do. 

Now whether or not Uno & Stu are secretly salty about Page telling them to back off and totally intended to allow Page to take the horse whippin' that he had coming to him is heel turn fantasy booking.

It does lend itself to the idea someone on here had some weeks ago about splitting Uno and Grayson away from the rest of the Dark Order to join up with someone else while Hangman and the rest formed Dark Order Party Bus or whatever the fuck you want to call it.

• Like 1

Man, as heartbreaking as the beatdown was I too loved how it all played out.  Page felt by being associated with him he ruined Dark Order's title chances.  So to ensure he doesn't do further damage Adam had to push them away.  It's a bit of tough love but it's his fight now.  So now Dark Order while respecting his wishes will try and figure out a way to support him from afar.  That could allow them to feud with somebody else for now and when the time is right their paths will cross again.

That's some damn fine story beats to add on top of a pretty damn great overall story they're telling.  Huge credit to all those involved in this as it's going to make the eventual payoff so incredibly sweet.

• Like 4

Paraphrasing from a recent interview:  Black said Vince liked him but couldn't figure out anything for him.  Black later went to Vince with a handful of ideas.  Vince stopped him and told him no, I'd rather try to figure out something for you.  We know how that ended.

Meanwhile, AEW makes him look like a star in 2-3 appearances.  Wrestling is not that hard. 

If the rumors of morale being low in WWE are true, they deserve it.  Squandering a world-class talent for 4+ years only to have the competition scoop him up and make him look like a megastar his first time out is unconscionable. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Paraphrasing from a recent interview:  Black said Vince liked him but couldn't figure out anything for him.  Black later went to Vince with a handful of ideas.  Vince stopped him and told him no, I'd rather try to figure out something for you.  We know how that ended.

Meanwhile, AEW makes him look like a star in 2-3 appearances.  Wrestling is not that hard. 

If the rumors of morale being low in WWE are true, they deserve it.  Squandering a world-class talent for 4+ years only to have the competition scoop him up and make him look like a megastar his first time out is unconscionable. 

"Hey pal, we're going to have you sit in a dark room each week and you're going to wait for someone to come and fight you. You'll get over because no one will come knocking because they're afraid of you! That's some good shit pal."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, EVA said:

The Dark Order guys are selling dissension on Twitter.

I'm too lazy to go and find the post, but if they're really doing this, it's yet another angle someone booked on here first weeks ago. So either TK is lurking and cribbing ideas or wrestling is SO FUCKING SIMPLE to book that you should be able to logically plot out where this shit is going and still like it.

Personally, I'm all for the Dark Order Party Bus with Hangman, Silver, Reynolds, and Colt. Maybe 10. Let 5 join up with Uno and Grayson.

• Like 2

I think we all kinda fantasy booked the DO heel turn angle in the WWE Purge thead when we started thinking about how Windham Rotunda / Bray Wyatt might make for a decent candidate for a new Exalted One and talked about how DO has more quality tag-teams in it than most stables in pro wrestling so a split might help facilitate more robust tag-team division.

I like the teased dissention in the ranks but for God's sake, I have no real desire to see nearly immobile Windham Rotunda show up as the new power behind heel DO, much less have him return to a wrestling ring in a working capacity anytime soon.

Edited by J.T.

Not before Darby does his usual I AM THE DOORWAY challenge of the best of the best and gets punted around the ring, I hope.

God willing, Malakai will also get to kill Mox before the rematch.

Cody should sell the shellshock for at least three months.

Edited by J.T.