DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/4/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Mordecai Black vs Cody Rhodes

The Five Labours of Jericho Chapter 3: Jericho must win with a top rope move, Chris Jericho vs Juventud Guerrera

TNT Title Match: Miro vs Lee Johnson w/Dustin Rhodes

NWA Women's World Championship Eliminator The Bunny vs "Legit" Leyla Hirsh

Christian Cage w/Jungle Boy vs The Blade w/ Matt Hardy

2.0 & Daniel Garcia vs Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston & Darby Allin

Edited by Goodear

Putting Black over seems like the obvious thing in order to build to something else down the line. The question comes with all of the recent signings if AEW wants to free Cody up for a different new person on the roster. It would be the height of Tony Khan's toyboxism to do that so I kind of doubt it? Cody has become the least of AEW's EVP problems in my mind and I'm thinking this will be pretty decent.

The Five Labours of Jericho Chapter 3: Jericho must win with a top rope move, Chris Jericho vs Juventud Guerrera

This seems like a downgrade from the peril of the Deathmatch last week. One would think they should pile the issues on Jericho as he works his way through the Labors. If he comes out like nothing happened after last week and they don't pile on the issues, they are shooting themselves in the narrative foot. I'm not sure what Juvy will do here that will help the story with the frankly goofy stipulation. 

I like Johnson, he's got good fire. Miro has been really good on this run but he's not being given enough to do. He was one of the few people to come out of the lockdown era with momentum and it has been allowed to simmer down when they had a hot hand they could have elevated to more than working these sorts of matches.

I thought this was going to be for a shot at the AEW Women's title but according to the website, its for an opportunity to have a good match with Serena Deeb which I'm slightly more excited for. Honestly, AEW doesn't have the depth to have a second women's title defended on the show but at least it's something for these people to do. I'd prefer to see Hirsh go over but I'm easy either way. One of the less predictable matches in a while.

Will Christian Cage be able to knock off Matt Hardy's lackey after he beat Hardy? I mean, I would hope so. This is another backwards build where AEW already blew off the angle and we're going to keep it going for reasons. Blade's not bad but he's also not over so this is a weird booking choice in my mind.

Two of the biggest stars in the company's history plus one of it's breakthrough stars against a debuting tag team who is historically not booked a threat and another guy seems like a recipe for a Dark match rather than a match for Dynamite. 

Seems like a down week to me. I'm not seeing the television draw other than Cody-Black but they might pull in more people with all the circulating rumors of new hires. I don't think this is the right card to hook curious viewers personally.

This sure feels like a come down week after a handful of weeks with ultra hot TV. Black vs Cody should be awesome. Miro is going to thrash the fuck out of Lee Johnson. And...that's all I got. 

Jericho vs Juvy may be otherworldly bad.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This sure feels like a come down week after a handful of weeks with ultra hot TV. Black vs Cody should be awesome. Miro is going to thrash the fuck out of Lee Johnson. And...that's all I got. 

Jericho vs Juvy may be otherworldly bad.

Ahhhh dammit. I don't know enough about current Juvi, I was thinking like ok SuperBrawl but slower. We shall see!

Also, not that i disagree with you at all, but it's totally a perspective thing: to me, I'm getting a very calm-before-the storm vibe

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Also, not that i disagree with you at all, but it's totally a perspective thing: to me, I'm getting a very calm-before-the storm vibe

Yeah, same here. The rest of August through All Out looks like it's going to be a wild ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Miro has been really good on this run but he's not being given enough to do. He was one of the few people to come out of the lockdown era with momentum and it has been allowed to simmer down when they had a hot hand they could have elevated to more than working these sorts of matches.

On a show that rarely features the same guys every week, Miro has either been wrestling or had promo time every week.  I don't get your point here unless your point is you think he should be doing competitive squashes on every show.  Which is not what AEW does.

For the Jericho/Juvy match, I hope a MJF henchman interferes and removes the whole top rope in hopes of taking away any chance of Jericho winning.  Then Jericho outsmarts him by standing on the rope, which is now lying on the mat, and then hitting a Judas Effect for the pin.

• Haha 2

I would say Miro has had either a backstage interview that is under two minutes long or a competitive squash since winning the title from Darby. He's got no angle going on other than being awesome and no feud of any kind. He feels sort of like Cody during the Factory feud in that he's outside the AEW shared universe and not really doing anything meaningful. If he turns out to be the fifth labor or ties into someone else important, I would be happy to see it. 

Jericho and Juvi had a match that has to be at least 25 years to the day (cause it was like the Monday before or after Hog Wild 96 since it was in Casper, WY) and contained the most blown spots in a Nitro match that didn't have Hardwork Bobby Walker. They were not on the same page at all.

They did have a good match at Road Wild 98 with a very visually impressive finish.

Edit: It's actually from the Nitro episode on 6/30/1997. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Of the announced matches I mainly ask for Jericho/Juvi to be at least good and for Leyla to win.  The idea of her against Serena sounds absolutely tremendous.  I'm pretty certain Malakai'a winning though if he loses then I might plant my feet firmly onto the anti-Cody train.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Do you not know his name is Malakai, or are you just being sassy? Lol

Ps. Mordecai wore all white. So wouldn't Cody be Mordecai in this instance? ??

People are (rightfully) excited about Bryan and Punk coming in, but I'm also loving that they're giving Yuta and Daniel Garcia some work.  I haven't seen a ton of either of them, but I've liked what I have seen.  Both have a ton of potential, IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Jericho and Juvi had a match that has to be at least 25 years to the day (cause it was like the Monday before or after Hog Wild 96 since it was in Casper, WY) and contained the most blown spots in a Nitro match that didn't have Hardwork Bobby Walker. They were not on the same page at all.

They did have a good match at Road Wild 98 with a very visually impressive finish.

You made me imagine the universe where "Stang" headlines these shows instead of Darby, and for this, I thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would say Miro has had either a backstage interview that is under two minutes long or a competitive squash since winning the title from Darby. He's got no angle going on other than being awesome and no feud of any kind.

You know, I'm fine with that.  I like how AEW rotates guys in and out and even the people who are featured don't necessarily need some big storyline.  Miro's storyline is that he's the TNT champion.  He's at the ready to fuck up anyone who challenges him.  That's enough for now and he'll be good to go when they want to heat something up.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Do you not know his name is Malakai, or are you just being sassy? Lol

Ps. Mordecai wore all white. So wouldn't Cody be Mordecai in this instance? ??

Which one is the Children of the Corn? 

Have no fear. I’m just dumb and confused the old timey evil names that no one uses anymore that start with M.

I would say Miro has had either a backstage interview that is under two minutes long or a competitive squash since winning the title from Darby. He's got no angle going on other than being awesome and no feud of any kind. He feels sort of like Cody during the Factory feud in that he's outside the AEW shared universe and not really doing anything meaningful. If he turns out to be the fifth labor or ties into someone else important, I would be happy to see it. 

I think he fucked up his arm or something. He had a weird growth on it two weeks back.

Basically anytime you don’t see a guy on Dynamite, or Dark they are probably injured, or resting.….

Or Janela.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

I thought this was going to be for a shot at the AEW Women's title but according to the website, its for an opportunity to have a good match with Serena Deeb which I'm slightly more excited for. Honestly, AEW doesn't have the depth to have a second women's title defended on the show but at least it's something for these people to do. I'd prefer to see Hirsh go over but I'm easy either way. One of the less predictable matches in a while.

Bad news: Kamille is the NWA Women's Champion.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

You know, I'm fine with that.  I like how AEW rotates guys in and out and even the people who are featured don't necessarily need some big storyline.  Miro's storyline is that he's the TNT champion.  He's at the ready to fuck up anyone who challenges him.  That's enough for now and he'll be good to go when they want to heat something up.

I've enjoyed how the TNT title is booked different than AEW World Title. TNT is pretty much a series of open challenges anyone can go for it where as the AEW title is based on rankings. Like Evil Uno had a shot at Miro but admitted he didn't have enough singles wins to challenge Kenny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I saw a fairly recent indy show where Mordecai, mostly retired and now selling houses, used a "Kevin Fertig Real Estate" sign as a foreign object.  Free advertising, brother!

My wife and I signed the lease for our first apartment together with his then-fiancé. A bunch of OVW dudes lived in our complex. Him, Daniel Pruder and one of the Tolans, maybe a couple more. 

Around 4th of July, some dude was lighting off fireworks way too late. I went outside to see what was up. Fertig’s fiancé was telling the guy to pack it up and he was being an ass to her. He didn’t see that Mordecai was about to come around the corner. He shut up and went home pretty fast when he showed up 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Bad news: Kamille is the NWA Women's Champion.

Well in that case so much for my hopes with this match up. Now it's pretty much up in the air. 

But I still really, really want Deeb vs Hirsch.