DVDVR Message Board

UFC 265: Lewis vs. Gané (08/07/2021) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

232289160_10159561050831276_506391941598

UFC 265: Lewis vs. Gané 
August 7, 2021
Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship: Derrick Lewis (264.5) vs. Ciryl Gané (247) - Gané, TKO (strikes), R3 (4:11)            
José Aldo (136) vs. Pedro Munhoz (135) - Aldo, DEC (unanimous)                
Michael Chiesa (170.5) vs. Vicente Luque (170) - Luque, SUB (d'arce choke), R1 (3:25)                
Tecia Torres (115) vs. Angela Hill (115) - Torres, DEC (unanimous)              
Song Yadong (135.5) vs. Casey Kenney (136) - Yadong, DEC (split)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Bobby Green (156) vs. Rafael Fiziev (155.5) - Fiziev, DEC (unanimous)               
Vince Morales (136) vs. Drako Rodriguez (136) - Morales, DEC (unanimous)               
Ed Herman (205.5) vs. Alonzo Menifield (204.5) - Menifield, DEC (unanimous)               
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115) vs. Jessica Penne (116) - Penne, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:32)               

ESPN2 / ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Manel Kape (129)* vs. Ode Osbourne (125) - Kape, KO (flying knee), R1 (4:44)               
Miles Johns (136) vs. Anderson dos Santos (135.5) - Johns, KO (punch), R3 (1:16)               
Victoria Leonardo (125) vs. Melissa Gatto (124) - Gatto, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (5:00)                
Johnny Muñoz (135.5) vs. Jamey Simmons (136) - Muñoz, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:35) 

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight    

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Miles Johns
Performance of the Night: Jessica Penne
Performance of the Night: Vicente Luque
Performance of the Night: Ciryl Gané
Fight of the Night: Bobby Green vs. Rafael Fiziev

Attendance: 16,604
Gate: $3.46 million

Bullshit there's an Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship fight when Francis Ngannou only won the UFC Heavyweight Championship in March and in the past there weren't an Interim when a UFC champion was on the shelf for a while, Michael Bisping as an example.

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised that Gane is a heavy favorite here. I know he's undefeated and has looked impressive lately. I'm guessing the oddsmakers are looking at it from the perspective of if he gets Lewis to the ground and can grind on him, then this is his fight to lose. I'm also just frustrated that this isn't just a contender main event and is for the interim, and it sounds like UFC mostly did this because they wanted the stakes as big as possible due to Lewis being a hometown kid. 

I feel like based on seeing Gane for a couple more fights that this is a fight where Derrick is getting his face boxed off and just getting frustrated especially if Gane mixes in some wrestling. This goes especially after watching the Rozenstruik. Jairzinho had an entire half hour to catch him and wasn't even close. I feel like unless it's a Francis Ngannou, you're just not going to catch Gane by just stalking him around the octagon with your right hand cocked.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I figure Lewis will pretend to get hurt, then murder Gane when he rushes in to finish

If your game plan revolves around pretending to be hurt and catching your opponent, you probably don't stand much of a chance.

Safe to say Ciryl is not going to lean in the pocket right into an uppercut. I imagine, if Gane has his way, it'll be him mostly front kicking at Lewis' chest to keep distance and occasionally getting on the edge of the pocket to jab while moving out of danger. The thing that makes this interesting to me is Gane has to make very few mistakes for 5 rounds and Lewis only needs one opening. So far, Gane has shown the ability to do that though, so I'm expecting a points win for Gane. He's cool. I love technical heavyweights. He's always in control (emotions, where the fight goes, etc.). It's boring but let's not pretend Lewis hasn't been in some of the most boring fights in recent memory either. The spectacular KOs make up for it though.

Somebody on twitter said this a great PPV card without a main event. The devaluing of their titles isn't new but it's still disappointing. I get that they gotta sell PPVs (kind of) and Dana doesn't want to pay his fighters well, so he resorts to this shit but it still sucks for the fighters and fans. 

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Damn, we got Fiziev and Kape on this card. Fuck yes. Aaaand Ed Herman is going to probably win a fight in 2021 in the UFC. 

I feel like Fiziev vs. Green has the makings of a Fight of the Year candidate.