DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

I remember when FTR where on JC's podcast they said they had a handshake deal with Tony Khan. I don't know if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to work other places after the match with the Bucks but the pandemic happened.

Also for the studio show I hope they bring back the WCW Saturday Night hydraulic doors if we are going full C-show memories 

• Like 1

Didn't see this mentioned but its being reported that JR will be stepping down from a full time role at the announce desk

Jim Ross is a WWE Hall of Fame announcer with decades of experience and respect on his name. He is sometimes chastised by fans when he flubs a line, like when he encouraged fans to watch “WWE Dynamite” live. JR has no intentions of retiring although he did admit that his AEW commentary gig will be his last. That being said, his role in AEW is likely to shift into a new way of utilizing his talents.

Ringside News has learned that Jim Ross’ role on AEW television is about to change. They will transition him out of the announce booth on a full-time basis. He will still announce big matches and major events, but Ross will also be used in other ways.

A source within AEW told us that Jim Ross is slated to “do backstage segments like the sit down interviews.” He will not step away from the announce table entirely, but he is leaving on a full-time basis.

We were told by a second source within AEW that, “don’t be surprised if when JR’s existing contract is up, it isn’t renewed for his current role/position/responsibilities.” This change for JR will not be immediate.

It was also said to us that this decision was “[Jim Ross’] call, I’m assuming he’ll do special matches.” AEW has other guest announcers who fill in on Dynamite such as Chris Jericho, Mark Henry, and Paul Wight.

While speaking to DAZN, Jim Ross said of his AEW contract, “The contract I came in here was three years because that’s what he (Khan) wanted. He wants stability. It made Time Warner happy because they’re used to my work in their company for many years and the WWE stuff as well.” That three-year deal is slated to run out in April, 2022 and he will be 70-years-old.

Jim Ross contributed a lot to AEW and brought recognition to the company. His voice will continue to provide a soundtrack for big matches as well, but his full-time involvement will likely diminish in the near future.

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2021/08/28/jim-ross-expected-to-transition-out-of-full-time-aew-announcer-role/

As much as I want it to happen, Ringside News are the hackiest of hacks, and both JR and Khan have denied this.

FWIW they’re the same website that DM’d Fuego and told him they “knew” he was already signed prior to that Rampage moment, got incredibly standoffish about it, then Ringside blocked him on Twitter before he could respond. So he went public with it.

• Like 3

I am sure that she is a good wrestler but I would think a last name of Reckless isn't a good thing in wrestling.   

Good to see Laynie Luck on the show.  Very underrated talent on the indies and like a Lady Frost is ready for the next level

Fuck it, debut everybody the same night, make this show just nonstop excitement with a breather for QT versus Giant, leave everybody exhausted. Be the opposite of most WWE shows which are uneventful and forgettable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Two things. First off, Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 is an absolutely amazing sequel to EWR if anyone is interested. $35 and with a ton more stuff added in. Really really good shit.

Secondly, I just listened to TK on WOR last night and he said he wasn't going to push Jim out and actually thinks he brings more to the table still and wanted him to stay on air. So that's really bizarre that the story would come out right after Khan publicly acknowledged that.

• Like 2

Thank God Mr Brodie Lee's health was kept secret by those in AEW, whoever didn't would have hell to pay and fuck Bruce Mitchell for what he did, the cunt. Fuck Dave Meltzer for letting Mitchell appear on WON radio as well. People were rightly pissed by that and keeping Bryan Alvarez in the dark over it. Fairness to Alvarez saying vote with your wallets to subscribers as he's said about the WWE product.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Two things. First off, Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 is an absolutely amazing sequel to EWR if anyone is interested. $35 and with a ton more stuff added in. Really really good shit.

Secondly, I just listened to TK on WOR last night and he said he wasn't going to push Jim out and actually thinks he brings more to the table still and wanted him to stay on air. So that's really bizarre that the story would come out right after Khan publicly acknowledged that.

It didn’t come out after Khan talked about it, it was a few days before that. JR was the first to acknowledge it on Twitter, then this interview with Khan dropped like a day or two later.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Thank God Mr Brodie Lee's health was kept secret by those in AEW, whoever didn't would have hell to pay and fuck Bruce Mitchell for what he did, the cunt. Fuck Dave Meltzer for letting Mitchell appear on WON radio as well. People were rightly pissed by that and keeping Bryan Alvarez in the dark over it. Fairness to Alvarez saying vote with your wallets to subscribers as he's said about the WWE product.

Punk actually talks about this at the First Dance media scrum around the 29 minute mark of the video.

It is interesting to note the dramatic change in Tony's expression from pure joy to near sadness when Punk brought up how he applauded AEW for keeping mum about Huber's failing health and protecting the private lives of the workers.  The dude really seems to sincerely care about his people and their families.  

I still have my doubts about marks calling the shots, but this seems to be working out.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's definitely the right time and era to have somebody who is a mark or a fan be the boss, considering that the majority of talent also grew up as marks or fans or whatever you want to call them. Most interviews and anecdotes indicate that everyone at AEW seems to really enjoy where they are and that kind of care and love for the business being at every level of the company might be what makes them such a breath of fresh air and hopefully more and more of a success.

• Like 7

I like TK a lot and his sincerity is really infectious.  I mean it's one thing to be a fan of the company but imagine being a wrestling superfan who likely keeps thinking "I can't f'n believe this is real."  It's endearing for sure though I can see why that would rub some the wrong way.  I do wonder though how much caffeine he's going through as he always seems like he's on a huge sugar/caffeine rush.  I mean I get it being the boss and all but when he talks in front of people he reminds me of Todd Gordon.  Maybe some decaf or more water would help the poor guy out but other than that I like him.

• Like 5

I don't get that sort of vibe from TK, regarding sugar or caffeine. He just strikes me as a super nerd for wrestling that gets overly excited to talk about it. Or, let's put it like this. You're out in public wearing whatever wrestling shirt. Let's just say it's a Bullet Club shirt. Some other person spots, goes "nice shirt!" and begins talking your ear off about wrestling and it's like, woah man, let's turn it down from about a 10 to a 2. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Fuck it, debut everybody the same night, make this show just nonstop excitement with a breather for QT versus Giant, leave everybody exhausted. Be the opposite of most WWE shows which are uneventful and forgettable.

Companies can be very successful with fan service. I mean, it's worked out well for Marvel. I guess it's kind of a crazy idea that if you give the fans a bunch of cool shit they want to see, they'll watch.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like TK a lot and his sincerity is really infectious.  I mean it's one thing to be a fan of the company but imagine being a wrestling superfan who likely keeps thinking "I can't f'n believe this is real."  It's endearing for sure though I can see why that would rub some the wrong way.  I do wonder though how much caffeine he's going through as he always seems like he's on a huge sugar/caffeine rush.  I mean I get it being the boss and all but when he talks in front of people he reminds me of Todd Gordon.  Maybe some decaf or more water would help the poor guy out but other than that I like him.

i've always interpreted that as Coach Tony K not really being comfortable in front of crowds/media/whatever, so he hypes himself up beforehand and his overzealousness shows through.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

On the list of archetypes of people running wrestling companies, "enthusiastic socially awkward supernerd" tends to be my preference over "carny always trying to put one over on own fanbase" or "openly hostile to patrons and staff".

(Actually, being the kind of person who doesn't really like to see how the sausage is made, "not applicable" would be preferred over that, but I'm aware that's simply not possible in the age where whoever is approving the direct deposits has to put themselves on camera at some point.)

16 hours ago, zendragon said:

I remember when FTR where on JC's podcast they said they had a handshake deal with Tony Khan. I don't know if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to work other places after the match with the Bucks but the pandemic happened.

Also for the studio show I hope they bring back the WCW Saturday Night hydraulic doors if we are going full C-show memories 

They were on a handshake deal for their first couple of months in AEW, but signed multi-year contracts last summer. Leaning towards this being a work in regards to the severity of Cash's injury (and will be wearing a cast for a long time as a heel), but would not be surprised if he legitimately needs serious surgery and just coming back for one match to finish the feud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

On the list of archetypes of people running wrestling companies, "enthusiastic socially awkward supernerd" tends to be my preference over "carny always trying to put one over on own fanbase" or "openly hostile to patrons and staff".

(Actually, being the kind of person who doesn't really like to see how the sausage is made, "not applicable" would be preferred over that, but I'm aware that's simply not possible in the age where whoever is approving the direct deposits has to put themselves on camera at some point.)

Let’s not forget that Cornette, Heyman and Russo all started in the business as young enthusiastic supernerds.  There’s plenty of time for the business to wear TK down!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't get that sort of vibe from TK, regarding sugar or caffeine. He just strikes me as a super nerd for wrestling that gets overly excited to talk about it. Or, let's put it like this. You're out in public wearing whatever wrestling shirt. Let's just say it's a Bullet Club shirt. Some other person spots, goes "nice shirt!" and begins talking your ear off about wrestling and it's like, woah man, let's turn it down from about a 10 to a 2. 

I just realized. I’m that guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Let’s not forget that Cornette, Heyman and Russo all started in the business as young enthusiastic supernerds.  There’s plenty of time for the business to wear TK down!

Based on the knowledge Cornette has on wrestling, pretty sure he still qualifies as a supernerd. Just an older one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I mean, "All Out" isn't just a clever name. Like the Shitty Beatles.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Who was the lady with Joey Jannelly?

I'm assuming you mean Kayla Rossi, who is training at the Nightmare Factory. I was following her on IG prior to this, and I had no idea she was this close to debuting in wrestling. Apparently, WWE turned her down cause she's already 30+. I know that's their new policy but it's not like she has some physical affliction I'm aware of. She has an impressive look and based on her IG, super athletic and coordinated in the ring. 

• Like 1