DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

If Tony Khan is as big of a wrestling nerd as he says he is and Winnipeg wrestling is now AEW canon, then I'm going to need him to bring in Rick Martel as Christian's backup to neutralize The Natural......err Don Callis.

And then bring in Brother Midnight and The Tulip to resume their feud over just who is the biggest loser

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

Can you imagine what the audio for Dunn cuts would be like?

I'm guessing Dunn doesn't even call shots.  The camera guys all just shake the cameras randomly while an actual monkey (who has been fed more coke than Vince and Hulk on their 3rd rewrite of No Holds Barred) pounds frantically on the switcher and Dunn sits in the back reading Maxim.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Oops wrong thread. I'll say this. If they are bringing in Cole, I would very much hope they could get the rights to his ROH theme song. It's great. 

It's production (stock) music, I think they'd have no issue if that's they way they go. Of course, it's always nice to be able to put out a single on streaming etc. but they don't seem to be shying away from licensed stuff at all. I just hope if they can't use the music for the video game for whatever reason that the soundalikes are decent. 

Edit: I know that's a very odd, specific concern, but nothing was worse as a kid than playing WCW games and having to constantly hear this shit:

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm guessing Dunn doesn't even call shots.  The camera guys all just shake the cameras randomly while an actual monkey (who has been fed more coke than Vince and Hulk on their 3rd rewrite of No Holds Barred) pounds frantically on the switcher and Dunn sits in the back reading Maxim.

zoolander-computer-gif-11.gif

• Haha 4

Tony Khan interview recap:

During an interview with Dan Le Batard on a podcast Wednesday primarily focused on CM Punk, AEW's Tony Khan talked extensively about the company's rise, surviving and adjusting through the pandemic, being inspired by Vince McMahon, and trying to get talent TV time.

Part of that discussion went in the direction of how WWE views them. Le Batard pressed for a yes/no answer on whether WWE underestimated AEW and are ignoring them. Khan said he didn't want to answer either.

He said he patterns a lot of how he handles AEW by McMahon building up the WWF in the 1980s and was inspired by how he met with wrestlers in person to get them to sign, taking tons of meetings and doing tons of deals. Khan also said he thought WWE's shows were better when McMahon "wrote them in the backyard with friends vs. having a staff of 25 writers."

On NXT and WWE releasing talent:

Khan said the head-to-head battle with NXT was "a hard fight" and one they came out on top of, according to black and white statistics. He said there was one week in a 76-week stretch where NXT won the key demo at which point he felt he had to call a timeout, get reorganized, and figure out how to not let it happen again. In general, he said he didn't like how the company ended their 2019 and wanted to get things back on track in 2020.

He said there's still a fight with WWE in a sense, but that "it doesn't have to be in a hostile way" with fans. He doesn't want fans to feel like they have to support only WWE or only AEW. He feels like some WWE fans view AEW as the opposing team, but that it doesn't have to be like that and fans can watch everything or pick and choose. 

Asked why WWE is releasing good talent, Khan opined that WWE has a big roster and are trying to hit a financial number, maximizing profits by reducing costs. He acknowledged they are making choices about how people have value to them and are likely cutting some people they would rather not.

On learning from WCW and Eric Bischoff:

He talked about his friendship with Eric Bischoff and what he learned through his time in WCW. Khan said that while he respects Ted Turner as one of the single most important people to the wrestling business, he told TNT and TBS management that if Turner had been 1% as hands on or capable to run a wrestling business as Khan is, WCW would have never gone out of business. He thought that business disconnect from Bischoff to Turner hurt the company and that by being the owner, CEO and day-to-day operations, he has a better handle on his own company.

He also said that there's no upside for him to run down WWE publicly like Bischoff did as he thought he turned a lot of fans off. 

He said there is friendly competition in the locker room to get on top, but that it's a pleasant environment and like any sports team, people want to be featured more. He thinks he has good communication with the room and good perspective on how to utilize TV time to try and maximize the growth of the company. He said that balancing act is his biggest challenge and why he wanted to create Dark and Dark: Elevation on YouTube, both to develop young talent and get talent more reps.

• Like 6

On 8/25/2021 at 12:08 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

I swear I've heard Excalibur call something a "sole butt", which I'm 90% sure is a mistranslation of "sobat" or "savate" unique to the FPW games.

It's not unique to FPW. The sequel to Exciting Hour had a spinning kick referred to as a "rolling sole butt", as I recall.

3 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

It's not unique to FPW. The sequel to Exciting Hour had a spinning kick referred to as a "rolling sole butt", as I recall.

It's definitely a French to Japanese to English thing, then. @Jiji's "Knuckle Arrow" call was actually what I was trying to think of when I was writing it. Did Ex ever call a running knee to the body a Kitchen Sink?

vnt3tlszk6ez.gif

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 11:23 AM, elizium said:

If Tony Khan is as big of a wrestling nerd as he says he is and Winnipeg wrestling is now AEW canon, then I'm going to need him to bring in Rick Martel

here is where I get on board

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's definitely a French to Japanese to English thing, then. @Jiji's "Knuckle Arrow" call was actually what I was trying to think of when I was writing it. Did Ex ever call a running knee to the body a Kitchen Sink?

vnt3tlszk6ez.gif

Man, does anybody in AEW do that move? I wish somebody would and with even half the gusto Jumbo would hit it with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

vnt3tlszk6ez.gif

Yes, he has.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

HEY!  My youngest daughter got us tickets to the Rampage in Norfolk!  I'm so excited!  Live QT Marshall!

Somebody let TK know that one of the founders of this board is going to be there, get Dean the royal treatment! 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Somebody let TK know that one of the founders of this board is going to be there, get Dean the royal treatment! 

No joke, if TK is a fan of this board (and he is), I bet he really would roll out the red carpet for Dean.

• Like 5

Per Meltzer on Twitter: "AEW will be taping Dark most of the time going forward at Universal Studios in Orlando, open to the public."

Interesting - I'm guessing this is their quasi performance center unofficially now? All those people who are usually on Dark just staying in the Orlando area?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Meltzer on Twitter: "AEW will be taping Dark most of the time going forward at Universal Studios in Orlando... 

Yes! This exactly what I was hoping for! That gives them the ability to basically do what they were doing during the Daily Place days, not have to worry about burning out a tv crowd, and it's super WCW. Love this and was hoping they would do this for a women's show but fuck it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So Excalibur and Taz have to fly out to TV on Wednesdays and Fridays, and then go to Orlando to do Dark tapings on what used to be their days off as well? Or are they going to do the WCW Worldwide thing and tape months' worth of Dark at a time?