DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 hour ago, The Natural said:

CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe's 2004 ROH Trilogy. *****.

CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy, SummerSlam 2009.

Summer of Punk, ROH 2005.

CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy, post SummerSlam 2009 Smackdown.

CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio. Over the Limit 2010.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. Money in the Bank 2011. *****.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. Night of Champions 2012.

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan. Over the Limit 2012.

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan. Money in the Bank 2012.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. RAW, 25th February 2013.

CM Punk vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXIX.

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar. SummerSlam 2013.

Of those I've seen Cena MITB, Brock SS and bitsnbobs from ROH. Will work through the rest.

Just now, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Of those I've seen Cena MITB, Brock SS and bitsnbobs from ROH. Will work through the rest.

Of those you haven't seen, I'd particularly recommend:

CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe's 2004 ROH Trilogy. *****. You need to see all three for the callbacks and strategy involved. The second and third matches are the best ones.

Summer of Punk in ROH.

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan. Over the Limit 2012.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. RAW, 25th February 2013.

CM Punk vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXIX.

• Like 2

I love the Taker-Punk match, so fast paced and different than the “EPIC” matches Taker had been having with HBK and HHH the previous 4 years. Felt like both guys were actually desperate to win from the get go and there was no finisher spam, good stuff

• Like 2

I wanna say wrestling really is lacking more matches where both opponents just say "fuck it, I'm throwing my best shit at you from the get go", but then I remembered that WWE tried that and it was so so lame.

So I wanna say, please wrestling around the world, do more matches where both opponents just say "fuck it, I'm throwing my best shit at you from the get go", but not like WWE did.

What I'm trying to say is the world needs more Shibata Ishi G1 2013 (minus the headbutts).

Give me people like Hangman, Moxley, Kingston, Archer, Miro, Black, Pac, Wardlow, Hobbs and Darby trying to emulate that.

Kinda different theme, forgive me, but you saying that it "felt like both guys were actually desperate to win from the get go and there was no finisher spam" kinda triggered me, even though Taker-Punk is 20 plus minutes long.

• Like 1

There are two many extra people in AEW.  Like Reba, Chavo and that extra guy with Andrade, Penta's interpreter, Cutler, Nakazawa, Hook, etc. 

Debut Punk against Arlovski and Junior Dos Santos.  Avenge those UFC losses!!!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 1:16 PM, Bryan said:

His gimmick is literally that he is a dipshit that raps dipshit things, so they clearly do.

The Acclaimed were/are an over act (They’re douchebags that it’s fun to root against) and Twitter isn’t actually representative of real life.

And frankly, AEW deserves more blame than he does anyways. They're the ones who aired the footage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I'm intrigued. I didn't follow Punk first time around since I only started watching wrestling again in 2015, but seeing how this all plays out (and potentially with Danielson) has got me excited. 

You’ll have a unique perspective on tonight then.

I had missed out on his ROH stuff that preceded his entry into WWECW.  I had heard of him in positive terms of course.  But had no real connection until maybe his first two Money in the Bank matches at Mania.  

I’ll never forget the Cena match in Chicago.  

I admit.  I’ll probably mark out tonight.

Edited by Brandon Bones

Punk was already over heading into ROH, on the back of his legendary IWA-MS run. Going an hour in a TLC match and then over 90 minutes in  2 out of 3 falls.

• Like 1

While I was initially hesitant about AEW signing Punk at first, it is clearly the smart move given the buzz around him. Even if it's just a 1-2 year run, I think most of the eyeballs that he will likely bring to the product will stick around with the quality product that AEW offers. I will say though, I am glad that AEW has already established itself before Punk jumped aboard (just in case it goes sideways, it would not totally torpedo the product).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

CM Punk vs. John Cena. RAW, 25th February 2013.

This was honestly one of the last times a RAW match had me hooked enough to give a damn about who won. Not to spoil for people who haven't watched and are going to but when Punk hit THAT MOVE I legit yelled "Oh shit!" I was back at home with the parents for a few months and my mom came running in to my room to make sure I was okay and I had to embarrassingly admit that I had gotten too caught up in the wrestling. But it was a hot match so I can't be too ashamed.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

This was honestly one of the last times a RAW match had me hooked enough to give a damn about who won. Not to spoil for people who haven't watched and are going to but when Punk hit THAT MOVE I legit yelled "Oh shit!" I was back at home with the parents for a few months and my mom came running in to my room to make sure I was okay and I had to embarrassingly admit that I had gotten too caught up in the wrestling. But it was a hot match so I can't be too ashamed.  

Thanks for sharing. We all reacted to THAT move. WWE briefly put the match up in its entirety without adverts. Hope somebody got that version before it was removed.

• Like 1

What a fucking shitty thing to be shitty about. Punk debuts in four minutes and Tony's feeling it. Jesus. You post hundreds of times a week about wrestling on the same boards he did and he's a "vampire" like, if this is not the right night to be positive then when? When ever?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4